Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

LR was only interim manager. It’s not like we gave him the job full-time in the summer and are sacking him now.

This isn’t a sacking.

It’s hiring a full-time manager to replace the interim manager.

I thought LR would get the job permanently. But there are several potential reasons why he hasn’t.

Warne has promotion pedigree. 

And anybody who has seen us this season knows we aren’t exactly a brilliant footballing team. Bird has been poor. Prior to his late goals against Wycombe, Hourihane has been disappointing too.

We haven’t scored a goal away from home.

I don’t think it’s a case of Warneball being random hoofs, but perhaps we are more suited to going direct and having players like McGoldrick, Knight and Sibley picking up second balls in the final third.

Comparisons to Pearson seem strange. We had a far better footballing side back then. I don’t see that with us now. 

Honestly, how many chances have we created this season by passing through the opposition via possession and moving them out of position. Barely any.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

But we’ve let him sign like a dozen players with his style in mind, and I’m pretty sure we all expected them to carry on with a similar style to last season, so it can’t have been a surprise.

And it’s not just the first team, the academy is supposed to be playing a broadly similar style so there’s a pathway straight through.  Is there any point in developing players like Liam Thompson and Darren Robinson if we appoint a manager that just wants to hoof it?

I agree that it doesn't make much sense that Rosenior led the rebuild, but maybe it was Hobson's choice?

I'd argue that the majority of our squad are better suited to a more direct style. I think the academy argument is spurious as it has been decimated anyway. 

We're all fickle anyway. If Warne gets us double promotions playing hoofball, we'll all be singing his praises. If we're still mid table next season, the majority will say they always hated the style. If we're in League 2 it will be Clowes the clown.

My mates just sent me a hilarious prank on what’s app, a tweet from what must be a John Percy spoof account saying Liam Rosenior is no longer interim manager and we want to replace him with Paul Warne. ?????

What the f*** are we doing? A young progressive manager who is ready and who has players to a large degree to suit how we want to play and we want to replace him with a manager who let’s face it practices anti football which we don’t have the personnel to play!  This is beyond bonkers!! A complete and utter head f*** ???

What is it now, 100 days since Clowes took over, where’s the structure? Where’s the recruitment team? What’s the plan to stop fans running the club making decisions as fans?! Brighton and Brentford is the model we need to follow if we want to be successful yet sustainable. This is the type of decision Mel Morris would make!! I just can’t get my head round it. No chance Rosenior stays in a support role. 

I hope Warne turns us down. 

Edited by BramcoteRam84

36 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Not impressed by the idea of Warne. He might ‘know’ League One but he sure as hell doesn’t know the Championship otherwise he wouldn’t keep taking Rotherham back down every time they get promoted. It strikes me that he’s just another meat and potatoes manager - if he was that good someone else would have come in for him by now. We should have given LR till the end of the year at least.

Warne may get us up, but he won't get us into the prem, totally agree with you.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would that 'project' be getting 'sleeping giant' of a club, with huge fan base back to where it belongs? Where does it say Rosenior anywhere in that?

If we are making up what the project is, then I can change it to ‘getting sleeping giant of a club, with huge fan base back to where it belongs under Liam Rosenior’

I think we could see this coming in retrospect....

Ongoing goal scoring issues,failing to win away from home and the fact that clowes didn't see fit to make Liam the permanent manager after 11 games said it all really.

The number 1 priority for the new owner of a relegated club has got to be promotion as soon as possible and the most reliable route to that end is an experienced manager with recent promotions under their belt.

I'm not sure why we are all so surprised by this news.

Good luck to Liam,I'm sure in the future he will find a management job without quite so much expectation and pressure of a club like derby county.....he gave it a go but he needs more time to grow and learn i.m.o with a smaller club.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

LR was only interim manager. It’s not like we gave him the job full-time in the summer and are sacking him now.

This isn’t a sacking.

It’s hiring a full-time manager to replace the interim manager.

I thought LR would get the job permanently. But there are several potential reasons why he hasn’t.

Warne has promotion pedigree. 

And anybody who has seen us this season knows we aren’t exactly a brilliant footballing team. Bird has been poor. Prior to his late goals against Wycombe, Hourihane has been disappointing too.

We haven’t scored a goal away from home.

I don’t think it’s a case of Warneball being random hoofs, but perhaps we are more suited to going direct and having players like McGoldrick, Knight and Sibley picking up second balls in the final third.

Comparisons to Pearson seem strange. We had a far better footballing side back then. I don’t see that with us now. 

Honestly, how many chances have we created this season by passing through the opposition via possession and moving them out of position. Barely any.

Warne has done an outstanding job at Rotherham on limited resources, ex-player, became physio, he didn’t want to be manager but took it on reluctantly, stuck with it, they gave him time and allowed him several failures including being the worst championship team in history. He is Rotherham.

Managing Derby could not be more different, he doesn’t play the right brand of football and frankly i don’t think he’s up to it in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I don’t judge my opinion of someone on 4 away league games only.

Sadly a lot of fans do.

Wonder if Paul Warne will be sacked after 11 games if we’re not higher than 7th?

He won't be coming in as interim manager though. Which is a massive distinction between Rosenoir that a lot of folks seem to be overlooking. 

The clue is in the job title. 

I was told on Saturday that Rosenior was off to Brighton as coach or assistant manager. I took it with a huge pinch of salt at the time. 

In the same conversation, I was also told that David Clowes is about to sell to Mike Ashley. I also didn't take that seriously. 

Looks like I forgot the golden rule - we're Derby County, so the normal rules of probability just don't apply.