Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Thanks. We know your opinion by now . Please don’t try to stop anyone else having some thoughts as the season progresses.

We know everyone's opinion.   It has been discussed endlessly for months. 

How Warne compared to Rosenior in the immediate aftermath of his appointment may well have been valid.   At this stage months later and flying in the league it is completely irrelevant.  

Edited by Blondest Goat

10 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne really is the League 1 Pep. But Rosenior has got 13pts from his last 6 league games in the Championship , with a poor squad. He has taught them how to pass it out from the back. True our players did not like it , fans panicked. But if we get in the Championship next season , still under restrictions. Warne will have to prove himself as a tier 2 manager.

I think Warne will be very aware that he will have to prove himself as a Championship manager. But he and his coaching staff seem very confident and intelligent guys. I don't think they've ever had as big an opportunity in the Championship as that which Derby County will offer them. Do you not think that may have been a major part of their reasoning when they decided to leave Rotherham in the Championship to come here and take us back up?

COYR

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think Warne will be very aware that he will have to prove himself as a Championship manager. But he and his coaching staff seem very confident and intelligent guys. I don't think they've ever had as big an opportunity in the Championship as that which Derby County will offer them. Do you not think that may have been a major part of their reasoning when they decided to leave Rotherham in the Championship to come here and take us back up?

COYR

David Clowes and Paul Warne both seem intelligent and professional people. Right from day one Warne said he'd signed up for the journey with DCFC. I assume he meant that he (with his team), feel they have a chance of doing something here that perhaps was not possible with Rotherham. 

Warney is ambitious and DCFC are a big enough club to give him the chance to fulfil those ambitions.

I've just realised thats a long winded way of agreeing with what you said in the first place.

4 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

COYR

I think he hoped that he could take us up this year, but now he completely understands the restrictions of our business plan I wonder if he thinks we offer considerably more chance, if we are there next year, than he did with Rotherham? Hopefully we can negotiate but it may be very challenging indeed and perhaps not as big an opportunity as it would have been without this additional year or potential restrictions

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s the type of thing Warne will make a joke about and deflect attention onto the team but I hope he wins it and gets further acknowledgement of our good run. They’ll probably give it someone else of course. 

Darren Moore would actually be the obvious choice having beaten Plymouth and gone top with a perfect record in the league also.

27 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Lets hope so - winning such things often kiss of death

If you are going to insist on making absurd and baseless assertions rooted solely in superstition and without any material bearing on likely outcomes, could you at least wait until such time as I am wearing my lucky pants? 

5 hours ago, dabber said:

I think he hoped that he could take us up this year, but now he completely understands the restrictions of our business plan I wonder if he thinks we offer considerably more chance, if we are there next year, than he did with Rotherham? Hopefully we can negotiate but it may be very challenging indeed and perhaps not as big an opportunity as it would have been without this additional year or potential restrictions

I think he probably discussed all of that with David Clowes in the negotiations when he was offered the job. I very much doubt that he was under any illusions about the size of the task ahead when accepted the job but his performance so far seems to suggest that he is eager to take us up at the earliest opportunity and the players seem to have bought into that ambition.

He's done an absolutely outstanding job so far. Slightly slow start but he's really got us firing now. The only thing we don't have an answer for at this stage is how potentially we will fare if we get promoted. It's perhaps understandably a slight reservation amongst some fans that he has not (yet) managed to get a team to stick having got them promoted to the Championship but that may in part be down to resources at his previous club. Who knows, he may take it in his stride but we certainly need to not carry any inferiority complex with us if we end up facing much better sides. If I'm honest I was a little disappointed in the West Ham game as we seemed to show them a lot of respect and never really laid a glove on them. I was hoping that we'd have a right go but it was a bit of a damp squib in the end.

The reality is though that if we get promoted at some stage then there will be teams that we face that will have financial resources that are beyond anything we have due to the obscene size of the parachute payments. Regardless though, these teams were our peers for season after season in recent times and our fans will be expecting us to show no fear and no undue respect.

The big challenge though is not really just about Warnes' ability to carry his philosophy and tactics to a higher level,  but with the EFL millstone around our transfer dealings we are very limited in what we can offer him to upgrade his squad in the event of promotion and that's a bit of a worry for me. It's not really just about Warne himself stepping up, what level of financial support can we give him to back up progress so far ? The negotiations with the EFL will surely be vital in giving Warne the flexibility that he needs to keep shaping the squad. There is only so much you can so with out-of-contract players from the 'surplus to requirement' pile at other clubs. We've done amazingly well in that regard but it's not really a plan for future progress.

Having said all of that, if you'd shown me the current table in the summer I'd have thought you were certifiable ! Hard not to be anything other than chuffed to bits with how it has panned out. Team, Owner and Manager are a credit to the club and themselves at the moment.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

He's done an absolutely outstanding job so far. Slightly slow start but he's really got us firing now. The only thing we don't have an answer for at this stage is how potentially we will fare if we get promoted. It's perhaps understandably a slight reservation amongst some fans that he has not (yet) managed to get a team to stick having got them promoted to the Championship but that may in part be down to resources at his previous club. Who knows, he may take it in his stride but we certainly need to not carry any inferiority complex with us if we end up facing much better sides. If I'm honest I was a little disappointed in the West Ham game as we seemed to show them a lot of respect and never really laid a glove on them. I was hoping that we'd have a right go but it was a bit of a damp squib in the end.

The reality is though that if we get promoted at some stage then there will be teams that we face that will have financial resources that are beyond anything we have due to the obscene size of the parachute payments. Regardless though, these teams were our peers for season after season in recent times and our fans will be expecting us to show no fear and no undue respect.

The big challenge though is not really just about Warnes' ability to carry his philosophy and tactics to a higher level,  but with the EFL millstone around our transfer dealings we are very limited in what we can offer him to upgrade his squad in the event of promotion and that's a bit of a worry for me. It's not really just about Warne himself stepping up, what level of financial support can we give him to back up progress so far ? The negotiations with the EFL will surely be vital in giving Warne the flexibility that he needs to keep shaping the squad. There is only so much you can so with out-of-contract players from the 'surplus to requirement' pile at other clubs. We've done amazingly well in that regard but it's not really a plan for future progress.

Having said all of that, if you'd shown me the current table in the summer I'd have thought you were certifiable ! Hard not to be anything other than chuffed to bits with how it has panned out. Team, Owner and Manager are a credit to the club and themselves at the moment.

To be fair when he left Rotherham for us they weren't exactly struggling,I think they were 7th or 8th?

i believe his previous problems post promotion was the selling off of his best players each season for budgetary reasons...hopefully not something that we will need to do if we go up this time.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong