Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

12 hours ago, OssieEnd said:

If we had stuck with Liam ... where would we be now ?

Simply not enough of a sample size to say, seeing as we're yet to play again against quite a few of the teams we faced at the start of the season.

There have only been 4 'equivalent fixtures'. Currently tracking at Rosenior +2 points but it's quite a useless statistic really.

Oxford - won 1-0 (h) under Rosenior, haven't faced under Warne.

Charlton - lost 1-0 (a) under Rosenior, won 2-0 (h) under Warne. +3 for Warne.

Barnsley - won 2-1 (h) under Rosenior, beat 3-0 (h, cup) and lost 4-1 (a) under Warne. +3 for Rosenior.

Shrewsbury - drew 0-0 (a) under Rosenior, haven't faced under Warne.

Fleetwood - drew 0-0 (a) under Rosenior, haven't faced under Warne.

Peterborough - won 2-1 (h) under Rosenior, haven't faced under Warne.

Plymouth - lost 3-2 (h) under Rosenior, haven't faced under Warne.

Lincoln - lost 2-0 (a) under Rosenior, drew 1-1 (h) under Warne. +1 for Warne.

Wycombe - won 2-1 (h) under Rosenior, lost 3-2 (a) under Warne. +3 for Rosenior.

Can I just say, my post above was meant in a different way than it's been taken. That's my fault. I should have elaborated more so lesson for me there. I think Warne is doing great and I'm very happy with him. Although I'm wondering what he said to the players at half time yesterday ! 

No, what I meant was I think under Liam I really don't think we would have won alot of the games we have done.I want him to do well at Hull though. 

8 minutes ago, OssieEnd said:

Can I just say, my post above was meant in a different way than it's been taken. That's my fault. I should have elaborated more so lesson for me there. I think Warne is doing great and I'm very happy with him. Although I'm wondering what he said to the players at half time yesterday ! 

No, what I meant was I think under Liam I really don't think we would have won alot of the games we have done.I want him to do well at Hull though. 

No explanation needed mate. If you pose what was clearly a rhetorical question and folk choose to get upset, that's their problem not yours. I think nearly all of us appreciate that Warne is doing a good job given the restrictions in place and I also think a lot of us have mused on exactly the same question as you've asked. We'll never know of course, though some on here pretend to, but I'm glad Liam is doing such a good job at Hull and remain grateful for his efforts at Derby too. 

Paul seems to be putting last nights defeat down to lack of effort. But what about tactics? They play with two No10’s. (Brighton are having a great season with this system). But in the 2nd half Plymouth switched to three No10’s. We don’t have the players to suss these things out . White for one just doesn’t have the experience.

On 08/03/2023 at 08:47, jimtastic56 said:

Paul seems to be putting last nights defeat down to lack of effort. But what about tactics? They play with two No10’s. (Brighton are having a great season with this system). But in the 2nd half Plymouth switched to three No10’s. We don’t have the players to suss these things out . White for one just doesn’t have the experience.

We have enough coaches at the games to see what is happening and make the necessary adjustments, that is part of their job and one they have failed on a few times since their arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this message in the Oxford match thread and then a minute later Sibley scored and made me look daft. But I do think our race is ran for this season. 

None of our players apart from McGoldrick are in any sort of form. NML and Barkhuizen look knackered. Cashin is in poor form, Wildsmith isn’t looking the super keeper he did at the start of the season. 

Think the recruitment team have a big job on their hands. With all the loanees returning I’d say we need at least 8 new signings and if you add in departures such as Knight, Bird etc we could be looking at 10. 

Providing we bring players in Warne will have a pre season to mould his team and more importantly players that suit his style. 

If you’d have offered me 7th or 8th at the start of the season I’d have reluctantly accepted it. However, if we do fall out the play offs it’ll be down to our form being damn rotten. So we could be going in to the summer on a bit of a downer. 

Think Warne needs to be judged on next season and I’d expect play offs at a minimum even with Knight etc leaving. 

Just a shame how this season is tailing off and yes it’s been a wake up call in terms of teams treating us with contempt because we bring more than 10 fans to a match and actually have a bit of history. 

Feeling a bit meh about it all today.

Give it a rest with the Warne bashing… whilst we had full squad available selection available we looked half a yard off the pace all over the pitch.. that is not down to Warne, the players are likely to be more fatigued than than other squads.

We need to avoid defeat against Peterborough and then recharge, regroup and emerge energised with drive, purpose and desire after the international break. 

1 minute ago, HectorsHouse said:

Give it a rest with the Warne bashing… whilst we had full squad available selection available we looked half a yard off the pace all over the pitch.. that is not down to Warne, the players are likely to be more fatigued than than other squads.

We need to avoid defeat against Peterborough and then recharge, regroup and emerge energised with drive, purpose and desire after the international break. 

You do know we're not getting an international break?

I’ll make my mind up next year when he’s had a full pre season. This year was always a free hit regardless of the manager, Play Offs will be a bonus. Not sure replacing LR with PW has been Clowes’ greatest moment yet - purely because it’s upped the ante in the expectancy stakes. You can feel it at every home game. Far too many fans want to support through only the thick and not the thin. 

As far as this year is going, I think a few things are starting to catch up on us. Our younger players are very inconsistent, Didzy now looks out of whack when not too long ago everything he touched turned to gold, as colossus as Fozzy was during that unbeaten run I think we’re now seeing the Fozzy we know, NML looks like the one Sheff Wed saw for the most part. Throw in the injuries and some dodgy first elevens and our current form is not surprising. 

Hopefully it’s back to the 11 that saw us through most of our good run and play them into some form. That also requires the players to do their part too - far too many off the pace currently. 

I can't help but feel the decisions to loan out Cybulski and Tommo as well as selling Stretton in January will come back to bite us.
Stearman is also an unofficial full time coach now. Chester still needs to build up his match fitness in the U21s.

Given the game time Warne doesn't want to give to the likes of White, Rooney and Springett, our squad is absolutely tiny now.

You may as well call it a squad of 15: Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Davies, Smith, Roberts, Knight, Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Dobbin, McGoldrick, Collins.

The management of his already small squad has to be questioned.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can't help but feel the decisions to loan out Cybulski and Tommo as well as selling Stretton in January will come back to bite us.
Stearman is also an unofficial full time coach now. Chester still needs to build up his match fitness in the U21s.

Given the game time Warne doesn't want to give to the likes of White, Rooney and Springett, our squad is absolutely tiny now.

You may as well call it a squad of 15: Wildsmith, Cashin, Forsyth, Davies, Smith, Roberts, Knight, Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Dobbin, McGoldrick, Collins.

The management of his already small squad has to be questioned.

The players can be recalled from their loans at any time if Warne feels he needs them.

47 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The players can be recalled from their loans at any time if Warne feels he needs them.

Are you sure?

The EFL rules aren't always the easiest to interpret but this is what it says on terminating a loan:

55.1.2 any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the Winter Transfer Window;

On 19/03/2023 at 10:14, TomTom92 said:

Posted this message in the Oxford match thread and then a minute later Sibley scored and made me look daft. But I do think our race is ran for this season. 

None of our players apart from McGoldrick are in any sort of form. NML and Barkhuizen look knackered. Cashin is in poor form, Wildsmith isn’t looking the super keeper he did at the start of the season. 

Think the recruitment team have a big job on their hands. With all the loanees returning I’d say we need at least 8 new signings and if you add in departures such as Knight, Bird etc we could be looking at 10. 

Providing we bring players in Warne will have a pre season to mould his team and more importantly players that suit his style. 

If you’d have offered me 7th or 8th at the start of the season I’d have reluctantly accepted it. However, if we do fall out the play offs it’ll be down to our form being damn rotten. So we could be going in to the summer on a bit of a downer. 

Think Warne needs to be judged on next season and I’d expect play offs at a minimum even with Knight etc leaving. 

Just a shame how this season is tailing off and yes it’s been a wake up call in terms of teams treating us with contempt because we bring more than 10 fans to a match and actually have a bit of history. 

Feeling a bit meh about it all today.

Can’t argue with what you have said . I wonder what sort of conversations Warne and Clowes are having? Warne could be doing a “Conte” , and saying he “Can’t do any more with this bunch of players”.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you sure?

The EFL rules aren't always the easiest to interpret but this is what it says on terminating a loan:

55.1.2 any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the Winter Transfer Window;

That does not apply to loans to non-EFL clubs. I note that I said they could be recalled at anytime - it should have been anytime within the first 28 days, by which time the National League season will only be a week from ending in this case.