Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Blah

See my follow up post.

Nothing against LeedsCityRam at all, just been a bit of a mix up because my attention's been pulled this way and that today, outside of the forum.

Changing styles between managers just as we seem to have some stability is what I was referring to. It's understandable that people saw this change as similar to that, albeit not in the wider context of spending etc 

And I stick by the some of the posts about Warne being a little cultish - which lets not forget was said a little tongue in cheek -  because they have been.

I've not called everyone pro Warne cultish either so kindly 'leave off' with that accusation!

Edited by Kokosnuss

15 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

See my follow up post.

Nothing against LeedsCityRam at all, just been a bit of a mix up because my attention's been pulled this way and that today, outside of the forum.

Changing styles between managers just as we seem to have some stability is what I was referring to. It's understandable that people saw this change as similar to that, albeit not in the wider context of spending etc 

And I stick by the some of the posts about Warne being a little cultish - which lets not forget was said a little tongue in cheek -  because they have been.

I've not called everyone pro Warne cultish either so kindly 'leave off' with that accusation!

I've been in a Cult before - the Cult of Brian Clough. It was Paradise while it lasted. The cult got it right from the start but you'll never understand that unfortunately. It'll be interesting to see where Paul Warne ends up in the Derby County story.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

8 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I've been in a Cult before - the Cult of Brian Clough. It was Paradise while it lasted. The cult got it right from the start but you'll never understand that unfortunately. It'll be interesting to see where Paul Warne ends up in the Derby County story.

It will certainly be odd when he does leave, which all being well will hopefully be a number of years from now.

I'm not sure some people will be able to cope going back to a more 'normal' manager coming out with the usual cliches and boring old manager talk.

At present though any comparisons to Brian Clough (or even Jim Smith) are just silly and over-egged 

Edited by Kokosnuss

8 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

It will certainly be odd when he does leave, which all being well will hopefully be a number of years from now.

I'm not sure some people will be able to cope going back to a more 'normal' manager coming out with the usual cliches and boring old manager talk.

At present though any comparisons to Brian Clough (or even Jim Smith) are just silly and over-egged 

Not at all. I lived through all three. They are the three most interesting and intelligent managers to listen to in the past 60 years. In fact probably only Clough exceeds Warne in talking the talk and I am confident that Warne will show he can also walk the walk but we'll just have to see how far that walk takes us. One day my son you will grow to be as wise as me ......but then again perhaps not ?.

53 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

But your comparison about Rosenior's departure alongside the Morris dismissals, by implication could be seen by some as the two owners being two peas in a pod. They are diametric opposites. David Clowes is a fan, a very private person who does not seek attention, is financially prudent, has the best intentions of the club at heart and was a reluctant owner. He bleeds black & white. Mel Morris had none of those qualities.

I think this is disingenuous about Mel who is also a fan, I felt he was quite private (but that might be debated), had the best intentions of the club at heart and likely bled black and white (or hopefully blue and white with red numbers). He mainly failed because he was incredibly unluckly and was battling a rigged system. He also made some poor choices, but for much of the time I admired his personal sacrifice in the Arthurian quest to establish Derby as a Premier League club. If I recall, the guy is at least £120m poorer as a result.

"...Warne said of the owner: "I think he's enjoying it. He was pretty buzzing with the Tuesday night game.

"Because he's a fan first and foremost, he can't stop smiling. It's a bit rude of me to speak for him, but I still think at times he can't believe he owns it and I know how proud that makes his dad because he was a massive Derby fan.

"And there's a part of it where he loves being up there, but misses being with the fans. In the same way when my wife and daughter comes to games, they sort of sit away from it a little bit whereas my son is full hoolie.

"He goes to every away game he can. He loves being on the terracing. In fairness, that game the other night when that winning goal goes in, there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be than in that bit for that one minute. It's priceless.

"As an owner, you miss that because he would have been in there wouldn't he? So there's a bit of him going 'that's amazing' and another where he wants to run up and down the directors' box going woo-hoo.

"You would though wouldn't you because that's what he's done for the last 40 years of his life. But everything he touches turns to gold at the moment.

"If you own a football club for 20 years, there are bad times, horrendous times, good times and amazing times on a cycle. There's not one club in the Premier League who have had 20 years of joy. They've all had pain and suffering. But at the moment, if he's not in a good place now, and we haven't lost since October, I've got absolutely no chance have I?!"

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think this is disingenuous about Mel who is also a fan, I felt he was quite private (but that might be debated), had the best intentions of the club at heart and likely bled black and white (or hopefully blue and white with red numbers). He mainly failed because he was incredibly unluckly and was battling a rigged system. He also made some poor choices, but for much of the time I admired his personal sacrifice in the Arthurian quest to establish Derby as a Premier League club. If I recall, the guy is at least £120m poorer as a result.

Not disingenuous at all. He went to the same school as me, hated sport, PE and football and was only interested in fast cars. When he took the club over he claimed he was a fan since 1969 when the reality is he first went to watch Derby with a fellow local businessman about 20 years ago as an occasional supporter. He reinvented himself in 2015 and believed he knew football inside out. You might recall that after the takeover he never once spoke about his 45 years of watching Derby again - simply because there was nothing to talk about.

He was never out of the media until about three years ago when suddenly he fell silent because he didn't want us to know the game was up while he courted the Fake Sheik, Erik Alonso and hoped Kirchner would come up with the money. He was so sure he could buy his way into the Premier League. He was reckless with the spending and the reality was we were in financial trouble ever since he let Paul Clement loose on the transfer market. Still he kept on spending and couldn't resist rubbing shoulders with Lampard and Rooney. Sure he lost some money but he's got plenty left. It was Derby County that went bust, not Mel Morris.

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I pretty much disagree with everything you have written here.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sorry know this is old ground but I think he failed as his ego was bigger than Derby. He thought he was bigger than the club. He had a duty of care for our club and everyone connected to it which he totally failed in. I never like cocky arrogant types and he has cemented my view a thousand fold. 

2 hours ago, enachops said:

I pretty much disagree with everything you have written here.

I don't mind that at all, and your and @Brailsford Ram's replies. I just see many parallel universes in which Mel was successul, Derby are a reasonably high-achieving Premier League club and he is lauded by the fanbase. It could easily have happened. But I think there was also desperation towards the end, which made the decisions far worse. Bringing Rooney in to undermine what I thought was the excellent appointment of Cocu was the end for me. Brailsford talks about the Clement transfers. If Hughes and Bryson hadn't got injured in that opening match, the spending would have been unnecessary and we'd have gone up. Had Thorne not been injured against Shaktar, we'd have gone up. Had we been a little luckier and picked a better team againt Villa, we'd have gone up. So many nearly moments... 

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

just see many parallel universes in which Mel was successul, Derby are a reasonably high-achieving Premier League club and he is lauded by the fanbase.

Yes with just a bit of luck he would have won us promotion and escaped the clutches of EFL and Gibson. But as a PL owner I fear he’d have made the same errors he made as a championship owner and we’d have come back down. 

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't mind that at all, and your and @Brailsford Ram's replies. I just see many parallel universes in which Mel was successul, Derby are a reasonably high-achieving Premier League club and he is lauded by the fanbase. It could easily have happened. But I think there was also desperation towards the end, which made the decisions far worse. Bringing Rooney in to undermine what I thought was the excellent appointment of Cocu was the end for me. Brailsford talks about the Clement transfers. If Hughes and Bryson hadn't got injured in that opening match, the spending would have been unnecessary and we'd have gone up. Had Thorne not been injured against Shaktar, we'd have gone up. Had we been a little luckier and picked a better team againt Villa, we'd have gone up. So many nearly moments... 

If Bobby Zamora hadn’t been born, we’d have gone up ?

52 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think the spending was unnecessary anyway.  Bryson was out for about 3-4 months and Hughes for virtually the season.  Under the previous regime we’d have used the loan market, much like when Thorne got injured and we replaced him with Mascarell on loan.

There are three signings that summer that I thought were unnecessary - the combined £10M for Butterfield and Johnson when we should have used the loan market and over £3M on Shackell who turned 33 a couple of months after signing him and would obviously have had no resale value.  Bryson and Hughes were still on the books as it’s not like their careers were finished and we’d just signed Alex Pearce on free and still had Keogh and Sir Jake.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Paul Warne though ?.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

25 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I think the spending was unnecessary anyway.  Bryson was out for about 3-4 months and Hughes for virtually the season.  Under the previous regime we’d have used the loan market, much like when Thorne got injured and we replaced him with Mascarell on loan.

There are three signings that summer that I thought were unnecessary - the combined £10M for Butterfield and Johnson when we should have used the loan market and over £3M on Shackell who turned 33 a couple of months after signing him and would obviously have had no resale value.  Bryson and Hughes were still on the books as it’s not like their careers were finished and we’d just signed Alex Pearce on free and still had Keogh and Sir Jake.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Paul Warne though ?.

Not to mention, we’d just appointed a manager who’d recently been involved in the coaching setups at Real Madrid, PSG and Chelsea. We should have gone straight to those clubs and pretty much guaranteed 40-odd championship starts for whichever youth-team midfielders they thought were ready for a loan.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

This.  

Whilst I think Mel is a cretin, I do agree that if the ball spun the other way he’d be held in quite high regard by everyone including myself. 

Also whilst his decisions in hindsight look disastrous, we’re about the only team in the last 10 years to splash the cash and not go up, so very unlucky in that regard. 

However the fact he was ready to let Derby burn means that any leniency I would’ve given him as long gone. 

Anyway back to Paul Warne…

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

John Port I think. My mum taught the two of you. (Put years on her, she’s 87.) Her comments on MM are interesting 

She didn't teach me then. The only woman teacher I had around your mum's age died three years ago so Mel can have the blame for that one too. Dear oh dear, teaching him and bringing you up too, she has had a hard life ?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

5 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I am confident that Warne will show he can also walk the walk but we'll just have to see how far that walk takes us. One day my son you will grow to be as wise as me ......but then again perhaps not ?.

I'm a PW  fan, Love his after game interviews...but...the proof of the pudding is in the eating, There will come a time when he'll be given money to buy players, Getting frees and loans is all well and good, But buying in a different gravy...only time will tell Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office?