Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

15 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s a weird one that, just looked at the article on the club website when he signed and in the DET and there’s no mention of the length of contract. Typically that’s part of the announcement news right? Both say he signed with the academy so I guess it’s still in line with the restrictions, meaning it was either a 1 or 2 year deal? 

Yes, with the EFL restrictions, the contract length there seems unlikely.

I like Warne as a bloke, he comes across really well in interviews, both his own and others talking about him. I also think he will get us promoted out of League 1. His big challenge will be how he performs in the Championship with a club our size. Comparing with his Rotherham record in the Championship is not a fair comparison but he and everyone else will be aware of it. I hope he turns out to be a great manger for us but at this point I think it’s way too early to tell.

You can’t seriously compare Rotherham with Derby though. Rotherham don’t have the financial clout of a Derby and have done brilliantly to get where they have under Warne but as with many clubs like them, they are forced to sell their better players when promoted as they did last summer losing Smith and Ladapo. They’re in danger again this year of going down and I’m not sure it would have been different under Warne but I’m sure if Rams do get up this year I’d be very confident he’d bring in better players to progress in the Championship.

In my opinion, we need to start asking questions about Warne. Lets look at his record against the teams in the top 14.

Warne against the Top 14 teams:
2 wins, 6 losses and 6 draws.

Rosenior against Top 14 teams:

3 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws.

His in game management has been shocking, especially lately and he seems to have no plan B. Teams either adapt to how we play or just play on the front foot and we can't win. Any teams that do that, will get a result against us.

I know he needs time and a few transfer windows but my god it's been poor recently. Even in our unbeaten run, we weren't winning against difficult oppositions. I have serious doubts about his management unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

In my opinion, we need to start asking questions about Warne. Lets look at his record against the teams in the top 14.

His in game management has been shocking, especially lately and he seems to have no plan B. Teams either adapt to how we play or just play on the front foot and we can't win. Any teams that do that, will get a result against us.

I know he needs time and a few transfer windows but my god it's been poor recently. Even in our unbeaten run, we weren't winning against difficult oppositions. I have serious doubts about his management unfortunately. 

This.

Edited by lukedcfc

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I'll judge him after he's had at least one actual transfer window. It's not his team. It's not even the team Rosenior would have wanted. Let's see how we do when we can actually sign some players. And we're also still in the top six. Keep the faith.

The good thing when Warne came in, is that he didn't buy into the hype in which we think (and our players probably think) they're better than they really are. He introduced chaos into the games. The games became more open than under Rosenior. But because our players are good players for League One, we won a lot more than we lost and so we did well.

I feel he's in danger falling into the Rosenior fallacy that we can completely control and dominate a game. We simply are not good enough for that. And because of that we need to give ourselves more chance of scoring, because then we have a very good chance of scoring more goals than the opposition, and that's what matters. Today (away at Peterborough) was a "must not lose" game but Warne made the mistake of setting up to control the midfield, not concede a goal and hope we might possibly nick one.

The reality is we all know Dobbin can't hit a barn door, Mendez-Laing has looked shattered for weeks and McGoldrick rarely scores away. Sometimes Hourihane chips in. Four possible but not very likely scorers picked, means you're likely to lose the game. He needs to be prepared to lose some control, but give us more chance of scoring.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I feel he's in danger falling into the Rosenior fallacy that we can completely control and dominate a game. We simply are not good enough for that. And because of that we need to give ourselves more chance of scoring, because then we have a very good chance of scoring more goals than the opposition, and that's what matters. Today (away at Peterborough) was a "must not lose" game but Warne made the mistake of setting up to control the midfield, not concede a goal and hope we might possibly nick one.

In my opinion you're completely wrong here.

Rosenior had the brains to see this team and the players we had available to sign can't play a pressing style of football and were more suited to a passing game, which is clear to see as the players look shattered at half time every game when we press, hence our shocking second half performances. Warne hasn't adapted to the squad he inherited and is trying too hard to play his pressing chaotic football but it doesn't work against the top sides and they can easily exploit it. Warne needs to adapt and have a Plan B, because his Plan A hasn't been working for months.

15 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Rosenior had the brains to see this team and the players we had available to sign can't play a pressing style of football and were more suited to a passing game, which is clear to see as the players look shattered at half time every game when we press, hence our shocking second half performances. Warne hasn't adapted to the squad he inherited and is trying too hard to play his pressing chaotic football but it doesn't work against the top sides and they can easily exploit it. Warne needs to adapt and have a Plan B, because his Plan A hasn't been working for months.

No, that's just the way the Rosenior believes the game should be played. He didn't adapt our style to suit the players

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

No, that's just the way the Rosenior believes the game should be played. He didn't adapt our style to suit the players

Out of interest, what is the suitable style for our players?

Edited by Jubbs

6 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

You can’t seriously compare Rotherham with Derby though. Rotherham don’t have the financial clout of a Derby and have done brilliantly to get where they have under Warne but as with many clubs like them, they are forced to sell their better players when promoted as they did last summer losing Smith and Ladapo. They’re in danger again this year of going down and I’m not sure it would have been different under Warne but I’m sure if Rams do get up this year I’d be very confident he’d bring in better players to progress in the Championship.

What part of our financial situation don’t you understand 

33 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Happily it's all about opinions.

I would point out that I think you're completely wrong because Rosenior also failed to put two good halves together with his passing, not pressing game. Meaning the evidence suggests it's not about fitness. For me, Warne simply has to select more goalscorers in the team and maybe accept less control, expecting we will have the quality to outscore our opponents more often than not.

Edited by Carl Sagan

25 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Rosenior didn't adapt to the players either. Had us playing possession for possession sake. It just wasn't effective.

35 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Not sure what relevance that Rosenior stat has