Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The boss has certainly been busy with the papers this week. As well as the Telegraph one already posted, here's a piece from the Dailly Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11690119/I-Derby-boss-Paul-Warne-reflects-dad-death-Rams-revival.html

And here he is in The Mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/derby-boss-names-sport-hed-29080409

Thanks for those  @Carl Sagan, but you could have warned that the Mirror web is sponsored by the Derby Evening Telegraph.

Conor Hourihane explained what it is like to work with Warne when he guested on Not The Top 20 Podcast’s YouTube channel.

He said: “He is different in terms of how he goes about his day-to-day business with players. “I think his ultimate strength in my opinion is his man management. “Speaking from my experience, he’s only been warm and caring and loving towards me since he’s come in, I think he’s been like that with everyone. “He’s regularly texting lads, regularly praising guys and he knows how to get the best out of players.

“He’s so hands-on with players, he’s different to what I’ve had previously and I’ve got an amazing connection with him. “I really respect him as a man first and foremost and how he handles guys, and how he handles players. “He’s got a team around him that I thrive off. Richie Barker on the coaching side of things, he’s really good as a coach, Hammy’s (Matt Hamshaw) the same, they’ve got a really good balance in their team of coaches.

“They’ve all got their strengths and the manager leads them to bring out their strengths. “They know how to get that balance right and they work well together and the lads absolutely love working with them everyday.” 

Paul Warne's recent comments on Chris Martin (and identifying players for his system) only enhances my view of him.

He just seems to get it. 

There is still a long way to go, and the Championship will no doubt be an entirely different challenge to League One (assuming we get promoted this season or next), but the signs are good with Warne.

On 30/01/2023 at 19:36, RoyMac5 said:

Conor Hourihane explained what it is like to work with Warne when he guested on Not The Top 20 Podcast’s YouTube channel.

He said: “He is different in terms of how he goes about his day-to-day business with players. “I think his ultimate strength in my opinion is his man management. “Speaking from my experience, he’s only been warm and caring and loving towards me since he’s come in, I think he’s been like that with everyone. “He’s regularly texting lads, regularly praising guys and he knows how to get the best out of players.

“He’s so hands-on with players, he’s different to what I’ve had previously and I’ve got an amazing connection with him. “I really respect him as a man first and foremost and how he handles guys, and how he handles players. “He’s got a team around him that I thrive off. Richie Barker on the coaching side of things, he’s really good as a coach, Hammy’s (Matt Hamshaw) the same, they’ve got a really good balance in their team of coaches.

“They’ve all got their strengths and the manager leads them to bring out their strengths. “They know how to get that balance right and they work well together and the lads absolutely love working with them everyday.” 

This is high praise considering how many coaches he must have worked with during his career

5 hours ago, Norwichram2 said:

What did PW say re Chris Martin? Haven't seen it so grateful for the update..

Praises him, but basically says he won’t buy players on reputation and only those that fit into his style of football.

The complete opposite of Mel’s era then, and especially that ill-fated summer of 2015.

On 29/01/2023 at 12:39, Brailsford Ram said:

It seems to me that the older supporters seem much quicker to buy into Paul Warne and his philosophies and ambitions than the younger ones. That's because we were around when three managers with similar ideas came into our club

More likely the older ones think his Dad jokes are funny

On 28/01/2023 at 18:04, Brailsford Ram said:

From what I've seen so far, character is of great importance. He won't take a player who won't fit in with the rest. That was Clough and Taylor's policy - they wouldn't tolerate disruption. We're already hearing from this squad how tight they have become as a unit and how he gets more from them individually - Max Bird recently expanded on that in the DET. you've got to trust Warne on this until he gives you cause to think otherwise. For now, keep the faith.

Should help to reduce the risk of big p***ups which go horribly wrong then.....?

22 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Paul Warne's recent comments on Chris Martin (and identifying players for his system) only enhances my view of him.

He just seems to get it. 

There is still a long way to go, and the Championship will no doubt be an entirely different challenge to League One (assuming we get promoted this season or next), but the signs are good with Warne.

Indeed.

Those that thought Martin was going to come in, or Warne should be getting him, haven’t been paying attention.

Loved Martin when he was with us, but it was always a non starter!

23 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Such a good job we didn't get that negative hoofball manager from Rotherham.

But seriously

Thank you Liam Rosenior 

Thank you Paul Warne

But mostly, thank you David Clowes 

Yep, Warney has been superb. I am back to the time I almost expect us to win every game like under Steve Mac 1. Shout out for Liam mind. He took over Hull and they were around the bottom 3. Now they are just 4 points off the play offs ?

I wasn’t thrilled by him and got tired of his interviews. I wasn’t sure he could get these aging players to do what he wanted them to with the energy levels required. 

I was wrong. We don’t play horrible hoof it football as I’d feared. It’s a nice balance between waiting for openings and forcing the other team to turn with a direct pass. Night and day from those first few games when it felt like the players thought he just wanted them launching it long. 

I turn up to every game believing we can win. Just taking each game as it comes. Not eyeing up 2nd place as I don’t want it to feel disappointing if we fall short because we are tearing teams apart at the moment and I want to enjoy that.

The race is definitely on though and I’m glad it was Plymouth who slipped up. Reckon Wednesday will romp the league now so it has to be Plymouth who tail off…