Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

3 minutes ago, S8TY said:

So I’m not alone in thinking you’re one of the biggest whingers on here …never happy and face pops up to comment like clockwork every time there is a blip …I even thought you were a wummer at one stage such was your constant critisicm quick to criticise and yet don’t see you if we are doing well ….people seem to have the same opinion of you …funny that ?? 

Your entire existence on this forum is following my posts and taking swipes.

Very funny indeed.

31 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Since when has he been relegated from league one?

To be promoted 3 times he was relegated from the Championship twice.  Most likely due to the limited resources he was given, but if not and it his lack of nous regarding the division do we replace him if he gets us up just in case? ☺️

Feeling for Liam this morning, I like him and thought he was doing a decent job, time will tell if Warne can do better, if he dosnt then we will look a little silly. 

i also hope that Liam stays, I would still like him at the football club, he is the type of person with the right personal and work ethic that we should build this club on. Unfortunately I expect him to leave, if he does he goes with my full gratitude and admiration 

10 hours ago, LazloW said:

“Time for a change”.

After 9 games.

Does that mean that every manager only gets 9 or 10 games or one or two bad performances? If that’s the case then we are in for a never ending cycle of new managers (or at least calls for new managers by impatient fans).

I’m disappointed that LR has not been given the job permanently but I’m not crying or ‘wetting myself’ or anything like that. Happy to see what the new chap will do, but surely there comes a time when you have to give somebody a realistic amount of time to build a team and take the rough with the smooth?

If people were genuinely thinking it was ‘time for a change’ after so few games, what will change with Warne?

Probably nothing and I imagine those who are rejoicing at Warne’s appointment will also be the first asking for him to be replaced when there is any sign of adversity. 

Obviously, there are times when a manager has to go. But I don’t think LR’s brief time in charge suggested anything like that.

Hey ho, I suppose the argument is that he was ‘just’ an interim and so it’s definitely not a knee jerk reaction to a couple of bad performances and the new chap will be given time. Hope so.

If you do your research and choose your manager to put on a contract because you believe he is the right man for the job then 9 games is nowhere near enough, if you have to have an interim manager who don’t feel at all sure is right for the job then nine games is enough especially if the performance s are exactly what you feared they may be,

perhaps clowes like many really doesn’t want the style of football Liam produces with slow slow messing round at the back and keep the ball at all costs , let’s be honest it’s become clear we are just as likely to get caught out and lose a goal messing round at the back as we are getting caught on the break whilst going all out to score ourselves,

just the way I see it on the football I’ve watched play with Liam not only as interim manager but as coach / no 2 as well,

decent bloke but time will tell whether he is a manager , I wish him well

Thought about this a bit over the last day or so, maybe too much ?.  Still a bit 50/50 - would have liked LR to be given the job as he’s done pretty well in the circumstances but can also understand why PW has been appointed given his experience in L1.

DC is a businessman and it’s interesting that LR had the interim role for so long.  This is quite common in leadership roles in business.  Either to hold the fort while recruitment is ongoing or to give someone a chance to see if they’re up to it meaning it’s low risk if it doesn’t work.  He said he’d have a full look at the structure of the club.  I would suspect he and his team have looked at other clubs - those that have been in admin, been relatively sustainable, long term success, different operating models.

PW is head coach so perhaps we might have a Director of Football/ Sporting Director.  Maybe LR didn’t want to work in that structure?  Or, random thought, maybe DC has observed LR and thinks he might be a better fit for that role than manager?  Who knows.

DC was also a pilot by trade.  I bet this means he has a really good plan and process, lots of “what if’s”, trusts his plan and process and will give it time, stays calm under pressure, and everything is well thought out.  That’s why I’m not convinced this is a “promotion at all costs” appointment.  I think this season is about getting everything in place - players, right manager (or head coach) with a long term deal, the right club structure, etc.  Then we push for it next season and get out of L1 by the time the restrictions are lifted.  We’ve discussed how we’re a few weeks behind fitness and prep with the team but in terms of the structure and running of the club we’re months behind.

9 hours ago, Mr.Rafiki said:

1st post and watching / reading from a distance but If I was to hazard a wild wild  guess with no facts. One would assume this is to do with ownership (silent partner / funding) and/or sponsorship. 

A club that needs to attract high value sponsorship with a good chance of promotion cannot have a trainee manager nor matter how well LR communicated we need results and be challenging for promotion 

From a 'marketing stand point' if you added up the 'pluses' of the two managers then I think they'd come out equal, and even probably, in today's modern world, Rosenior personally and stylewise would come out on top. So back to the drawing board with the conspiracy theories! ?

Edited by RoyMac5

I purposely decided to sleep on it before posting anything about this !

I totally understand the split in opinions here and was really surprised myself when I first head the news yesterday.

It does appear odd, and the timing strange. I like LR, he is eloquent and passionate in his own little way. We are 7th in the league, after all the horrors of last season and beyond. To me that looks pretty good and I would have taken that at the start of the season if you had offered it.

But, I have always had a nagging feeling that LR might not be the right mine for the this job, particularly with regards to experience and know how to get out of this competitive league.

The away form has to change and is this within LR capability ? And then there are the last 3 games - I missed the capitulation against Plymouth as we were on holiday, the performance v Lincoln was pretty depressing and after 20 mins against Wycombe I turned round to the Mrs and said this is the worst first 20 mins I've ever seen by a Derby side.

Granted we turned it around and the second half was brilliant but perhaps the seeds of doubt were already sprouting by then ?

Of course alternatively, this could have been in Clowe's mind all along but whatever the reasons are I am really looking forward to getting behind Warne and lets hope that at the end of the season we will see this as a master stroke !

COYR !!!