Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

If the football is as advertised, then I can see another heated debate about style vs results on the horizon… assuming results are good, of course!

For me, style is irrelevant, results are needed to get out this league. Tapping it around at the back and getting 80% possession but scoring less than Burton isn't going to get us promotion imo. All those moaning about Rowettball, would 100% take that if we were constantly winning games and achieved promotion, anyone who says otherwise is a liar and just being awkward to stand by their silly opinions ?

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Warne in contrast has a track record, which says he knows what is required to get us up and how to do it quickly.

Last season Rotherham's away record was P 23 W 12 D 6 L 5 F 27 A 11 Pts 42.

The 11 away goals conceded was outstanding; the next best away defence was Wigan's with 22 against.

If Warne can get us right on the road quickly then we may be in for a very exciting finish in 2023.

He has a track record which shows he knows what's required to get Rotherham up, that's for sure. But they're a club pretty much tailored to suit him with no real expectation, nobody gunning for them / seeing them as a scalp, and little pressure from the board or the fans if he goes through a bad spell. 

He's being touted as 'an experienced manager' but that's only really in contrast to Rosenior & our past rookies. I wouldn't someone who's spent 6 years at one club only an experienced manager no matter how well they've done there, and we've seen enough times that success elsewhere rarely translates to success here.

Yes it's all we've got to go on at this stage, but there's some serious gun-jumping going on, some misplaced arrogance and an unrealistic view of where we are as a squad.

Despite concerns I actually am on-board with Warne now after more research on his style and approach in dealing with his squad. That said some of the 'joke-reels' already feel exhausting.

My opinion on people's comments, double standards and at times pathetic turncoat-like behaviour towards Rosenior and wilful / selective blindness are a separate matter.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Kokosnuss said:

He has a track record which shows he knows what's required to get Rotherham up, that's for sure. But they're a club with no real expectation, nobody gunning for them / seeing them as a scalp, and little pressure from the board or the fans if he goes through a bad spell. 

He's being touted as 'an experienced manager' but that's only really in contrast to Rosenior & our past rookies. I wouldn't someone who's spent 6 years at one club only an experienced manager no matter how well they've done there, and we've seen enough times that success elsewhere rarely translates to success here.

Yes it's all we've got to go on at this stage, but there's some serious gun-jumping going on, some misplaced arrogance and an unrealistic view of where we are as a squad.

Despite concerns I actually am on-board with Warne now after more research on his style and approach in dealing with his squad. That said some of the 'joke-reels' already feel exhausting.

My opinion on people's comments, double standards and at times pathetic turncoat-like behaviour towards Rosenior are a separate matter.

What happens if Tom Ince is his first signing ? ?

love my football club , will go with whatever decision DC makes , sorry for Liam , think hes got a big future in the game , wish him all the best in what he decides to do , welcome to Paul Warne , warmed to him over the last 48 hrs , could be a shrewd appointment , as ever i hope all Rams continue to back the lads , management and club , this could still be a season to be proud of COYR

https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2015/02/04/head-coach-vs-manager-an-unnecessary-trend/#:~:text=A manager has complete control,by dealing with the rest.

A manager has complete control over his staff, transfers and player contracts unless, of course, they’re working under a meddling owner. While a head coach just trains and picks the team, with the owner or director of football taking the pressure off them by dealing with the rest.

Pochettino has explained: “If you are the manager, you decide many things about the club. But if you are a head coach, your responsibility is to play better, try to improve the players and to get positive results.

“At Southampton, I was a manager. My responsibility was not only to coach the team. With Tottenham, I am a head coach.  A head coach is head of your department. My department is to train the team.”

A head coach benefits from being able to concentrate solely on the team but the downside is, when results don’t go their way, they can turn the tables and protest,  “Well, I didn’t sign these players and I didn’t have the right backroom staff.”

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

When you have a £ shop budget then there's only a certain area you can shop, Making silk purses out of sows ears can be a time-consuming effort if at all, Talent in the football field either becomes an expense venture or you work within the means set out by the Chairman.

DCFC and LR had done a tremendous amount of work scouting, Ringing players/agents, Begging other teams for loans, What we have is a team on paper as good as any and arguably better that the rest in League1, What we haven't been able to do is come to terms with the style of play, Physicality and pace in this division, LRs mantra is keep ball and play through the opposition, Charlton and Lincoln away shows what happens when you lose the ball, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood shows what happens when they pack their defence.

Referring back to the "silk purses" we have them, They just need that little bit of education and mental attitude of how to go about this division, Paul Warne I would have thought knows more than most of what's needed, 1st to compete, Then to beat the others, Will he succeed...who knows, Would LR have succeeded...again who knows.

Reading the minutes that have been posted I get the feeling...rightly or wrongly that LR was finding things a little harder than maybe he 1st thought, His applauding all 4 quarters of the ground after beating WW went unnoticed by most who were there, Picked up by a poster on here, I'm sure that was LR saying thanks to all for your support.

Warne is able to mix his game up with different set ups, Teams who have watched us and knew how we played will now be wondering how will Warne set up against us ?    

I hope you’re right.

3 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

For me, style is irrelevant, results are needed to get out this league. Tapping it around at the back and getting 80% possession but scoring less than Burton isn't going to get us promotion imo. All those moaning about Rowettball, would 100% take that if we were constantly winning games and achieved promotion, anyone who says otherwise is a liar and just being awkward to stand by their silly opinions ?

The problem with Rowettball is watching your team sit back and let say a team like Morcombe dominate possession whilst you hope to score against them on the counter.  Given the resources of the two clubs most would find that approach unacceptable.  I definitely would irrespective of the results.

At least under Rosenior we dominated possession and took the game to the opposition, albeit often painfully slowly.

Edited by Blondest Goat

5 minutes ago, Jayram said:

You should give 4 year deals to managers who’ve proved themselves successful at different clubs and leagues, not someone who gets the same team relegated each time he gets them promoted.

We'll obviously your not bothered in anyone elses opinions only your own. But here goes. He was at a tiny club with a tiny stadium and no budget,how can he compete when most teams in the championship have probably triple their budget, at least. You'd only give 4 year contracts to someone who has a successful track record at different clubs and leagues....good luck with that, unfortunately peps not available yet but I have it on good authority he's on DC's speed dial just in case. Jesus.

3 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

The problem with Rowettball is watching your team sit back and let say a team like Morcombe dominate possession whilst you hope to score against them on the counter.  Given the resources of the two clubs most would find that approach unacceptable.  I definitely would irrespective of the results.

So you'd be happy with attractive football, 80% possession and lose 1 nil, score less than Burton instead of Rowettball with winning games and promotion. Ok.

18 minutes ago, Jayram said:

You should give 4 year deals to managers who’ve proved themselves successful at different clubs and leagues, not someone who gets the same team relegated each time he gets them promoted.

I guess that might be something to do with the budget he is working with? I honestly don't know, but I think it might be down to circumstances beyond his control. ?

Edited by Miggins

4 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

No I wouldn't.  Nobody suggested they are the only two options available.

You responded to my post, those were the 2 options I gave and said we'd all be happy with Rowettball if we won game s and got promoted. I don't have time to go through every style of play and tactics. Sorry.

17 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

You responded to my post, those were the 2 options I gave and said we'd all be happy with Rowettball if we won game s and got promoted. I don't have time to go through every style of play and tactics. Sorry.

...but many weren't happy with Rowettball when it got us to the playoffs, so your argument is already falling down.

That was just the play offs and not a promotion, but we're only talking 3 games between one outcome and another, which can definitely be fluked even if you're a bit crap really.

Thankfully this is a thread about Paul Warne though,  not Gary Rowett, and despite initial misgivings further reading shows their styles are not a match.

Edited by Kokosnuss