Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

Really like Liam and did want it to work    building around a bright young manager but DC has put his family's wealth on the line so that we still have a club. Based on what he has seen and presumably his dealings with LR it seems he doesnt think he is the person to take us forward. However, have read a few times that Liam was offered the permanent job but hasnt signed. So as usual we are not sure. 

Not sure how much he was involved in successfully bringing academy players through. Or how much say he had in identifying signings generally or not signing a RB/signing Collins. Agree with many that our squad is better than we hoped in those dark days when it seemed we were going under but Liam and team doesn't seem to have yet got all of them fit enough to last 90 minutes or worked out his best starting 11. I know easier said than done and it takes time but like many have been frustrated by our play at times and the away form will not get us promoted in any league.

Liam has been at the club since Cocu's era and hence presumably well paid for doing many people's dream job. He had his chance but either he has delayed signing a contract offer and we cant have that uncertainty or in the Board's view its not quite working. I trust DC's decision was made for the right reasons and so we shall see what happens next - again!!

21 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I think lr will proof derby wrong, as he will be a manager at another club.

Will be interesting to see if that happens, in my opinion hes done the best he could, with a team of free agents.

Free agent by definition means, a player another team doesn't want, often through by being older players or simply not good enough. If you have a transfer budget, is your team, largely staffed with free agents.

Lr brought in some quality free agents, who under his leadership, have largely worked out. They've bonded as a team in record time.

Warnes had a transfer budget at Rotherham, I think a decent size transfer budget?

Okay.... I think you will find a free agent is a player who either has chosen to run down his contract in order to have a new challenge elsewhere, or a player who's contract the club doesn't want to renew. When the said player is a free agent, it hardly means that nobody wants him. Just look a Hourihane, a free agent yet there were a host of clubs vying for his signature.

48 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I love the way everyone seems to think they know what’s happening with no actual information

as I said way back when this news was breaking, there’s a fair chance that Liam either wanted more money than the club was willing to pay or was demanding a longer contract than DC was happy with.

Oooops ?

I hope this does not unravel in the same way as the Nathan Jones move to Stoke City. He went there from Luton and tried to implement his “Kick and Rush “ style. The players gave it the thumbs down and he was soon back at Luton where they love him. He did end up with a nice wedge in his  back pocket . That would not be a good outcome for us.

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't see that any of them will be on huge wages, nor long contracts.

They came here for 'the project', which exists whoever is in charge.

They will all be on one or two year contracts and not on huge wages. But our wage budget is capped by EFL so we can't bring in new players without shipping these ones out.  

16 minutes ago, Topram said:

I’ll ask again is LR staying or going?

Nobody knows as yet.

News outlets have said he’s staying, yet hasn’t accepted the new coaching role as yet.

I would read that as basically we have no plans of sacking him, yet he may choose to leave anyway having not been given the job. 

We just don’t know as yet until the club talks.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Nobody knows as yet.

News outlets have said he’s staying, yet hasn’t accepted the new coaching role as yet.

I would read that as basically we have no plans of sacking him, yet he may choose to leave anyway having not been given the job. 

We just don’t know as yet until the club talks.

I wonder if he'll ask again.

askagain.png

anyone holding that last day of the season interview against him needs to get their head out their asre 

early indications and from a Rotherham perspective he is man of morals and dignity. in that split second, whilst upset about his own teams fortunes, of being asked he probably believed we stayed up due to Mel Morris' immoral ways and bending of the rules. can anyone really disagree with him?

I wonder what Curtis D is thinking about all this?

Under Rooney and Rosenior he was a colossus, leading from the front and being the rallying spokesperson for the team. 

Rooney left and CD confirmed in interviews that LR had done most of the coaching so had his support.

During his injury though he was strangely silent and now LR is being replaced.

His performances in the past two games have been perhaps not surprisingly, shaky.

Will we see the old defiant character back under a new manager?

Can Warne instil a more ruthless approach?

6 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

anyone holding that last day of the season interview against him needs to get their head out their asre 

early indications and from a Rotherham perspective he is man of morals and dignity. in that split second, whilst upset about his own teams fortunes, of being asked he probably believed we stayed up due to Mel Morris' immoral ways and bending of the rules. can anyone really disagree with him?

So are you saying Warne isn't currently under contract at Rotherham and free to take another job as he wishes?

Thought Darren Robinson brought up a good point yesterday on Sportscene where he was talking about managers making good sides but don’t really achieve anything for the club, that they can make a portfolio based on a philosophy and playing style that can get them touted for bigger jobs. Used Russell Martin being linked with the Brighton job as an example, but I think what he was saying was that Rosenior had made a nice squad and had a good philosophy but it may have not got us promoted but would have raised Rosenior’s stock.

It may be a bit harsh and personally I was quite happy for a quiet season under a young manager and see where we got to, but maybe that is the trap that plagued us throughout Morris’ era. That we got good managers who’d build decent squads, that makes them look like great managers, but don’t quite have that bit extra to get promoted. Clement, Rowett and Lampard certainly fall under that bracket, it’s arguable Mclaren and Rooney do as well (Pearson and Cocu are exceptional circumstances due to time or lack of finances).

I guess the question is, would Rosenior fit into that bracket and if so is it a good time to change it? 

Expect Warne’s first teamtalk will be something like this :

“You lot that were here may have survived on the last day of the season under Rooney, But as far as I’m concerned, the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your staying up medals and and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest f****** dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by cheating.”

Edited by Mr. P