Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

FWIW I heard that Rosenior was unlikely to carry on before the Wycombe game, hence my comments when we went down. Was told the job was his before the Plymouth and Lincoln games, but players lost faith following those games. Situation needed resolving, so I’m glad it had been.

Warne is a coup imo, and will hopefully get us out this league.

20 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

We all knew we had a fabulous squad for this division. If I'd spent 53 million on our club and we were on the edge of the playoffs early doors with a rookie manager, still not having sorted out our away form, I'd be thinking " for an extra 750K in compensation I could get better ", I'd be twisting, not sticking.

Don't forget he was a very reluctant fan-buyer. He doesn't have billions. 53 mill is still a massive risk. The only way I would have stuck with Liam at this point is if he was six points clear at the top of the division. Even then I'd be fretting...

This is it, I'm stick to death of twisting we've twisted for so many years and look where it has got us? Every time it hasn't been better, it's been pretty much the same with the only difference being the name on the managers parking space and I'm tired of it.

If this was always the plan and LR knew he was only keeping the seat warm then fine BUT if we're just (again) going for another manager because we're not smashing the league I'll be very disappointed.

This club needs stability more than ever and this change (assuming LR was led to believe this role could lead to permanent) just reeks of our old ways, same goals, same desperation of "twisting" on managers to get promoted.

I hope I'm wrong and if/when Warne joins us we stick with him just because we're not bossing the league...

22 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

How do you know this is random?

How do you know this group of players can’t flourish under Warne?

Is his ‘style of play’ set in stone? Do we have a squad of solely technical footballers who can only play one way?

Is it possible he could adjust it to a different club with a different squad and considerably better facilities and resources?

It all remains to be seen.

But given Clowes quite possibly made an interim appointment to give himself breathing space to make a permanent appointment, to suggest it is random and ill thought out seems counter intuitive.

Get the interim appointment to some degree but then to appoint someone who adopts a completely different strategy when it comes to football, different to the players we have, and also someone with a long association with a small club with a small club mentality, its random, it does just not fit, it’s the same as Mel sacking Steve McClaren and appointing Nigel Pearson. 

I will back him as i do any manager (I don’t question a manager after 5 games) but I’m concerned this is exactly the approach the likes of Sunderland and Sheff Utd followed and they were down here years.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I remember how utterly disenchanted I was at the time with the appointments of Brian Clough and, three decades later, Jim Smith.

"Not big enough for Derby County" went through my mind over both OBE and TBE.

The same thoughts now.

Same results please.

Just out of interest who is big enough for us right now?

37 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why is this straight out of the Mel playbook?

Comparisons to Jewell and Pearson are simply scaremongering.

Out of the Mel playbook as completely the wrong fit.

Jewell and Pearson both had really high stock when appointed, but wrong fit to style of play and squad.

Happy to be proved wrong, will support him but I’m massively struggling to get my head around this 

We’ll this has come as a bit of a shock.  DC talked about stability and I fully expected LR to get the job permanently.  Overall, he’s done a good job.  Built the team from nothing, getting a style of play and lying just outside the playoff spots.

But, DC also said he and his team were in no rush and would do a review of the club from top to bottom.  None of us know what discussions have taken place in the last few weeks and months.  It does appear though that, as LR kept his interim job title, other plans may have been afoot?  It looks like the outcome is we need some L1 experience and we’re certainly getting that.

I’m not sure I agree about the comparisons with Pearson.  I think then there was a desire to try and sort out the egos in the dressing room.  It was more about the change in leadership style than tactics and it backfired spectacularly.  From some posters who’ve looked at Rotherham forum’s, etc it seems Warne has adapted his tactics and style of play during his time at Rotherham and that’s a good thing.  He seems to like 3-5-2 or a variation of so that could put Knight in his midfield role.  He also seems to demand lots of energy from his team - something we’ve lacked.  He’s also used to managing on a budget, which he’s going to have to do here.

Disappointed LR isn’t the permanent manager, but full support to Warne.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Out of the Mel playbook as completely the wrong fit.

Jewell and Pearson both had really high stock when appointed, but wrong fit to style of play and squad.

Happy to be proved wrong, will support him but I’m massively struggling to get my head around this 

Look at it from this perspective: you appoint a manager to get a job done.

We want to get promoted from League 1, do we not?

If Warne gets us promoted, it will be the perfect fit.

You make it sound like footballers can only play in one way and you make it sound like our squad is prime Arsenal under Wenger. It’s far from it.

Players like Davies, Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen, Chester, Collins, McGoldrick and Hourihane have flourished under various managers with varying styles of play. They are not out and out technical ball players.

Looking at our young players, the likes of Cashin, Knight, Thompson, Dobbin and Sibley all have qualities that could be brought to the fore playing under a different manager in a different kind of side.

I’ll say it again, comparing this to Jewell or Pearson is scaremongering.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

You make it sound like footballers can only play in one way and you make it sound like our squad is prime Arsenal under Wenger. It’s far from it.

Players like Davies, Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen, Chester, Collins, McGoldrick and Hourihane have flourished under various managers with varying styles of play. They are not out and out technical ball players.

Looking at our young players, the likes of Cashin, Knight, Thompson, Dobbin and Sibley all have qualities that could be brought to the fore playing under a different manager in a different kind of side.

Why is it scaremongering ?? Jewell and Pearson had good track records and failed here miserably so that’s a fact every managerial appointment is a risk and personally think 9 games was not enough ….LR possibly needed an experienced assistant who knows this division 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

How do you know LR wouldn’t? It’s all ifs and buts but in my view LR should have been given until Xmas. He has got the right players in and got a good team spirit going. Needed more than 9 league games to make them gel. But nevertheless I will get 100% behind the new Manager.