Who s enjoying league 1?

Archied

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

When we scored our second in a three minute comeback were mitigating it with “but it’s League One”?

Do you think Forest were walking out of The City Ground today thinking “Premier League!”

Exactly that. The exhilaration of a late winner, or holding out against huge pressure for a valuable win, in the moment, feels pretty much the same to me whatever division we're in. Sure, it's good to see some of the best players in the world in the flesh and visit the best stadiums, and even better to win there, but I go to watch Derby play, not really the opposition, even if I can occasionally appreciate how another team plays or the talents of an exceptional player, that's no real compensation for being strumped 5-0 by West Ham at PP or being slaughtered by Liverpool 6-0 at Anfield by Liverpool. Losing sucks whatever league we play in. 

18 hours ago, David said:

Premier League is the pinnacle of English football, it’s where the best of the best play...

We have 2 of the best clubs in Europe battling it out for 1st and 2nd with Liverpool v Man City...

We have Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man United in the battle for top 4...

Not forgetting the two-time European Cup winners, who were once the darlings of English football, and have the stars to prove it.

Before the season started, I knew that I would enjoy League One and I am. The structure of games is perfect, a league game every Saturday at 3pm, with the odd league or cup game on a Tuesday. Games aren’t being moved for Sky. The quality of football or league we’re in doesn’t bother me too much, obviously it would be nice to go to nicer stadiums and have more content. However, I go to watch Derby above all else.

Loving it. We are on a journey again just like we were when Arthur came. There is hope for the future and the expectation of progress is realistic. Don’t worry about it being years till we can have parity with Forest that doesn’t matter. It’s probably not true either things can change very quickly in football

22 hours ago, Foreveram said:

We still have Bolton, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Sheffield Wednesday to come to Pride park and of course the big derby game against Burton. Lots of teams will have a larger than average away following on their big day out.

That's true ? I just think atm we may have a slightly slanted experience of this division. 

46 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Loving it. We are on a journey again just like we were when Arthur came. There is hope for the future and the expectation of progress is realistic. Don’t worry about it being years till we can have parity with Forest that doesn’t matter. It’s probably not true either things can change very quickly in football

Exactly, this season is taking me back to my youth. Told my lads how much fun it would be, even if we lose 1-0 away on a bleak, rainy day (or night, thinking Belle Vue on a Friday night).

We have a target on our backs for a lot of clubs but so what, embrace the league and pressure. This is going be a promotion campaign, you can sense it. No divine right, but we’re going to be in the mix. That’s exciting whatever league and our support will be crucial.

I’m loving it too ??

17 hours ago, David said:

Early days, but that season was incredible in the stands. If you can get more excited playing Fleetwood over Arsenal, fair play, each to their own.

Just like last season, when our backs are against the wall it brings out the best of us as fans.

I watched every minute home and away of the 11 points season. It was an overall dreadful, humiliating  and shameful experience that I never want to come close to repeating ever again. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't wish on any club's supporters. I am in my 62nd continuous season of watching Derby I have always been proud to be a Ram but the worst team in history tested my loyalty to the very limit. It was the only side that was hopelessly out of its depth in the Division it played in. There were too many gutless players who had given up the fight very early in the season. There were simply too many who were not fit to wear the shirt. If they really brought out the best in you, I need to have some of what you were on. Paddy Power paid out to all punters who bet on Derby to be relegated before the end of August. Because of that team we have been taunted ever since as being the worst team in history. Because of that team it is a label that we may never lose.

How can you even mention that team in the same breath as the team who fought so hard for us last season? The team that showed more guts than any of the teams I have seen against the most gutless. The team and the fans last season fought together for our very survival until the very end. The worst team in history had thrown in the towel by the end of August. The only reason the fans remained behind them was simply the fans are Derby 'til I die but there weren't many players in that side who could say the same.

Weird question. I thought I'd enjoy playing in the Premier League until I quickly realised we were the absolute whipping boys then couldn't wait for the season to finish early enough, which the players duly obliged with anyway. 

I don't care about the standard of the opposition as long as we're competitive. 

Really enjoying League One atm, maybe its down to where we were a few short weeks ago but the crowds seem less fickle than previous seasons in the Championship and have carried on the 'feel good' factor from last season.

We'd been in the Championship a long time and whilst it might have been preferable to leave via promotion, seeing new opposition for the first time in a while is a good change.  I've even picked up RamsTV for the first time this season to watch all the away games to get a look at the grounds I've never really seen before.  I also enjoyed the 'Rams on the Road' info videos that the club do telling us a little about teams I've never really cared about before.

I guess it boils down to the saying, 'a change is as good as a rest' and the fact we've still got a football club to support.  2 or 3 seasons in League One wouldn't overly bother me tbh, especially if we could see sustainable progress and better promotion pushes year on year.

21 hours ago, David said:

Premier League is the pinnacle of English football, it’s where the best of the best play, it’s the target for every single English football club and rightly so.

Unlike the EFL divisions, the Premier League is not an English competition anymore; it is an international competition.

The PL clubs are overwhelmingly in the hands of foreign owners. Among the PL players, the English are a minority group. The EFL has to largely rely too much on its income derived from people living in the land that is now Brexit. In contrast the overwhelming majority of the PL income comes from 'fans' that live outside these shores by way of the PL world rights TV income. It's only claim now to be an English league is by the fact that the games that make up this competition are played, for now at least, in England; but you may remember the ludicrous proposal of some years ago to create the 39th game where ten fixtures would be played at stadiums dotted all over the world. That attempt was defeated within the corridors of FIFA, normally noted for its corrupt practices but on this case recognising that the corrupt PL proposal was just a step too far. Wimbledon of course, sought to move their franchise to Dublin but that was too much for even the Premier League.

By contrast, the EFL is much more of a home competition, played out on a much more level playing field. But even that competition is corrupted by the greed of the PL barons by the payment of parachute money to its relegated clubs, which gives those clubs an unfair advantage in terms of financial fair play. It has created an elite group of yo-yo clubs that move regularly up and down at the expense of the other clubs who aspire to reach the top tier. The system starves the grassroots clubs further down the pyramid of the previous much-needed downward investment which assisted their struggle to survive.

Of course I still aspire to Derby County returning to the PL for one simple reason; the step up would recognise us again for being a top club in the EFL. The step up to the international league would be taken with some trepidation because we know full well just how difficult it will be from our last time up there. What we get to watch is likely to be much less comfortable than what we were used to in the Championship.

But for all that, I will be quite happy to see out my final seasons of watching the Rams within the comfort zone of the Championship. I will die a happy fan because like the other posters on here of my generation, we saw the only two teams to bring home the Football League Division One trophy to sit in our clubs boardroom, in 1972 and 1975. I know it pisses off a minority of the younger posters when we Uncle Alberts mention that.

But you may have overlooked a fact that should be central to your aspirations for Derby County this season. If our team finishes this season as champions of this league, the Uncle Alberts will never again be able to make the exclusive claim that I mention above. For it will mean that at the end of the season you will see Curtis Davies lift the very same trophy, that Archie Gemmill and Roy McFarland lifted before him (actually both were presented to Gemmill because on the first occasion McFarland was travelling back from England duty when the trophy was handed over).

So we will all have seen it done. But if that triumph awaits us, don't you young 'uns get too cocky. Just remember it will be a hat-trick for the Uncle Alberts ?

COYR

44 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Weird question. I thought I'd enjoy playing in the Premier League until I quickly realised we were the absolute whipping boys then couldn't wait for the season to finish early enough, which the players duly obliged with anyway. 

I don't care about the standard of the opposition as long as we're competitive. 

Exactly. It’s sport. True, you don’t get as many moments of art and brilliance but in a full stadium the roar when it hits the net is the just the same. NML blasting past his man or Cash clearing off the line … it’s pretty good for me. That said I’m dreaming for the moment we can really let rip at the end of the season. It won’t be an easy journey but I think we can do it. 

19 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The quality of football is not really any different because of how Derby are playing. 60-70% of the time we have the ball.

I’m enjoying watching the games. Even if they have been very low scoring.

I think games involving Derby have the lowest amount of goals in them in League One.

We aren’t going to concede many at all.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the football so far ,in fact I would go as far as to say I’ve seen far less scrappy head tennis in the middle of the park than I often saw in the championship, the level of finishing seems lower though but that seems to be helping us when making bad mistakes playing around at the back

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I watched every minute home and away of the 11 points season. It was an overall dreadful, humiliating  and shameful experience that I never want to come close to repeating ever again. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't wish on any club's supporters. I am in my 62nd continuous season of watching Derby I have always been proud to be a Ram but the worst team in history tested my loyalty to the very limit. It was the only side that was hopelessly out of its depth in the Division it played in. There were too many gutless players who had given up the fight very early in the season. There were simply too many who were not fit to wear the shirt. If they really brought out the best in you, I need to have some of what you were on. Paddy Power paid out to all punters who bet on Derby to be relegated before the end of August. Because of that team we have been taunted ever since as being the worst team in history. Because of that team it is a label that we may never lose.

How can you even mention that team in the same breath as the team who fought so hard for us last season? The team that showed more guts than any of the teams I have seen against the most gutless. The team and the fans last season fought together for our very survival until the very end. The worst team in history had thrown in the towel by the end of August. The only reason the fans remained behind them was simply the fans are Derby 'til I die but there weren't many players in that side who could say the same.

I’m talking about the atmosphere, you have taken my comments on to the pitch which I was not talking about.

20 hours ago, David said:

Early days, but that season was incredible in the stands. If you can get more excited playing Fleetwood over Arsenal, fair play, each to their own.

Just like last season, when our backs are against the wall it brings out the best of us as fans.

Don’t think you can get more excited about the prospect of playing fleetwood rather than arsenal for sure but once the game kicks off and you get immersed following your team the excitement and enjoyment levels are very good , as I agreed before there’s no point in sport if we are not striving to be at the top level and being the best we can be at that level but that doesn’t take anything away from enjoying where we are now and working towards getting there

28 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Unlike the EFL divisions, the Premier League is not an English competition anymore; it is an international competition.

The PL clubs are overwhelmingly in the hands of foreign owners. Among the PL players, the English are a minority group. The EFL has to largely rely too much on its income derived from people living in the land that is now Brexit. In contrast the overwhelming majority of the PL income comes from 'fans' that live outside these shores by way of the PL world rights TV income. It's only claim now to be an English league is by the fact that the games that make up this competition are played, for now at least, in England; but you may remember the ludicrous proposal of some years ago to create the 39th game where ten fixtures would be played at stadiums dotted all over the world. That attempt was defeated within the corridors of FIFA, normally noted for its corrupt practices but on this case recognising that the corrupt PL proposal was just a step too far. Wimbledon of course, sought to move their franchise to Dublin but that was too much for even the Premier League.

By contrast, the EFL is much more of a home competition, played out on a much more level playing field. But even that competition is corrupted by the greed of the PL barons by the payment of parachute money to its relegated clubs, which gives those clubs an unfair advantage in terms of financial fair play. It has created an elite group of yo-yo clubs that move regularly up and down at the expense of the other clubs who aspire to reach the top tier. The system starves the grassroots clubs further down the pyramid of the previous much-needed downward investment which assisted their struggle to survive.

Of course I still aspire to Derby County returning to the PL for one simple reason; the step up would recognise us again for being a top club in the EFL. The step up to the international league would be taken with some trepidation because we know full well just how difficult it will be from our last time up there. What we get to watch is likely to be much less comfortable than what we were used to in the Championship.

But for all that, I will be quite happy to see out my final seasons of watching the Rams within the comfort zone of the Championship. I will die a happy fan because like the other posters on here of my generation, we saw the only two teams to bring home the Football League Division One trophy to sit in our clubs boardroom, in 1972 and 1975. I know it pisses off a minority of the younger posters when we Uncle Alberts mention that.

But you may have overlooked a fact that should be central to your aspirations for Derby County this season. If our team finishes this season as champions of this league, the Uncle Alberts will never again be able to make the exclusive claim that I mention above. For it will mean that at the end of the season you will see Curtis Davies lift the very same trophy, that Archie Gemmill and Roy McFarland lifted before him (actually both were presented to Gemmill because on the first occasion McFarland was travelling back from England duty when the trophy was handed over).

So we will all have seen it done. But if that triumph awaits us, don't you young 'uns get too cocky. Just remember it will be a hat-trick for the Uncle Alberts ?

COYR

The first sentence is completely untrue, of course it’s an English competition, just because there are a large percentage of international players does not take that away.

Next you will be telling me we was not an English club when Jim Smith was here. I mean come on. 

32 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

COYR

I put us down to finish second, I’ll still be happy with that , for now at least.?

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not forgetting the two-time European Cup winners, who were once the darlings of English football, and have the stars to prove it.

From what I hear and see they are still the darlings esp with referees. I thought I'd care more about them being up there but I really dont care. Anything other than the fact we survived and the good vibe still from that is everything. EPL seems so disconnected from reality