Who s enjoying league 1?

Archied

25 minutes ago, David said:

We have 2 of the best clubs in Europe battling it out for 1st and 2nd with Liverpool v Man City.

We have Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man United in the battle for top 4.

Newcastle have the money

For the next 10 years at least..... Only for the cartel to be broken by some other club attracting some wealthy entity.

So a League of seven clubs.

Edited by IslandExile

Just now, IslandExile said:

So, did you enjoy 2007-8 more than you're enjoying this season? I believe you're too young to remember the Cox promotion season from Div.3.

Early days, but that season was incredible in the stands. If you can get more excited playing Fleetwood over Arsenal, fair play, each to their own.

Just like last season, when our backs are against the wall it brings out the best of us as fans.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Early days, but that season was incredible in the stands. If you can get more excited playing Fleetwood over Arsenal, fair play, each to their own.

Just like last season, when our backs are against the wall it brings out the best of us as fans.

There was a huge difference between the 11 point season and last.

Where they are similar, they were one-offs (well hopefully). 

Anyhow, my issue is with the Premier League and the financial structure of football.

Edited by IslandExile

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

There was a huge difference between the 11 point season and last.

I disagree. Both seasons we knew we were done for and the fans went out for a party.

Ok last season had that glimmer of hope, but there are more similarities in the atmospheres.

The quality of football is not really any different because of how Derby are playing. 60-70% of the time we have the ball.

I’m enjoying watching the games. Even if they have been very low scoring.

I think games involving Derby have the lowest amount of goals in them in League One.

We aren’t going to concede many at all.

25 minutes ago, David said:

I bet if you ask them, would they rather that or be playing in League 1 they would take Man City.

I'm not bothered about playing in the Prem. We don't have the resources to win anything and barely enough to be competitive at all. I have no interest in watching us be smashed around every single game for an entire season.

Unless we get a new owner or take a new approach like Brentford I would much rather watch us in the championship or league 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Premier League is the pinnacle of English football, it’s where the best of the best play, it’s the target for every single English football club and rightly so.

You should always aim to be the best you possibly can, this is a sport, sports are about just that, being the best.

All this nonsense the Premier League isn’t interesting is completely untrue, otherwise why were attendances declining under the Clough years in the Championship, yet selling out Wembley allocations when we’re 90 minutes away from Premier League football?

It reeks of when a player doesn’t join the club he was crap anyway.

I want to see a Derby County defence keep Haaland out from scoring, not watching amateur golfer and part time footballer Jack Marriott attempt to take out one of the speakers on the roof with a shot.

Even as a neutral, to say it’s not interesting is again just plain wrong.

We have 2 of the best clubs in Europe battling it out for 1st and 2nd with Liverpool v Man City.

We have Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man United in the battle for top 4.

Newcastle have the money and starting to assemble a squad to be pushing on and attracting more top quality to the Premier League and throw themselves into the top 4 mix.

Plucky clubs like Brighton and Brentford playing some fantastic football and keeping the pressure on those clubs above and a fraction of the budget.

Villa, Everton, Wolves, West Ham, Palace in the fight below that. 

I mean there are interesting battles across the league unless you’re someone that only has interest in Derby and the league we are in.

Finally, Leicester City, a club that were in a mess themselves not so long ago, would never have dreamt of doing the “impossible”. 

How can you not aspire to one day try and emulate that and pass on the memories to your grandchildren. 

Meh

7 hours ago, Geriatram said:

I was there in 1957 when we played Accrington Stanley in a top of the table clash, The gate was 24,000  it ended up at 2-2, and was just as exiting as many Premier matches I've seen. 

I think I might have mentioned it before, but I have the programme from that match. 

20220828_182438.jpg

I'm loving league 1.

No Sky games, 3pm kick offs, no media spot light, it's just about the football on show.

I've fallen massively out love with football, have no interest in the Premier League whatsoever.

Regardless of what Sky have you believe, this is about as close to real men's football as you will get.

Enjoying this season so far? Yes.

Enjoying having my Derby back, and only concentrating on the football? Oh hell yeah.

Enjoying the party and the vibes that we feel generally? Yes.

Enjoying League 1 specifically? No, not really.

Officiating is truly shocking, the ... pragmatism of some other teams is going to be tough to watch over the full year.

Premier League is where I enjoyed it the most, Jim Smith's days. Watching superstars arrive with plaudits to Pride Park and seeing them getting mullered by Seth Johnson. The weight of expectation in the championship and L1 adds another element of tension that is all part of football and when met can be amazing, but if it isnt met can lead to toxicity and stupid a$$ decisions that strikes us as a club into the hazard. Safe in Prem seeing Kane wonder who the eff is this Cashin fella, that'll do me.

Two ways of looking at it really.

No, I’m not enjoying us being in League One. It’s grim to be two divisions below all our rivals, unable to spend a penny whilst they’re splashing tens of millions on players. It’s a long way back and it’s depressing to think about really. A club like Derby County, with our fan base and history, shouldn’t be in this league with all these tinpoint salty clubs. But we are, thanks to our t*** of a former owner.

However, what I enjoy more than anything is watching Derby win football matches - whatever the competition or level. So in that regard, it’s nice to actually be battling at the right end of the table (so far anyway) after scrapping in a relegation fight for the last few years. After all, that’s what footballs about - that feeling when the final whistle goes and you’ve got 3 points in the bag. I’d much prefer it if we were scoring more goals to be fair - we’ve been starved in that regard for years, and it’s not started too well this season either. But if we get promoted this season, I’ll be getting just as drunk as I would if we got promoted to the Premier League, believe me!