Who s enjoying league 1?

Archied

10 hours ago, David said:

Look I mean at 40 years old I think it’s highly likely I won’t have the pleasure of seeing Derby County crowned Champions of England, you can never say never as Leicester City fans will tell you, but it’s highly unlikely.

Next best thing is seeing your club in Europe, again, some have been lucky enough to see us play Real Madrid, where realistically now at best we can grab an away day is some remote city in Eastern Europe in the Europa League. I’ll take it. 

Derby County in the Europa League would be amazing, even a midweek game under the floodlights against Rangers at Pride Park, not a pre season friendly, a competitive cup competition.

Absolutely no reason why that cannot be the long term aim for this club and it should be for a number of clubs even in this league like Sheffield Wednesday.

Meanwhile we play Grimsby Town tomorrow where the man of the match will get a free pizza, a game played with only one stand open and most likely the lowest attendance seen at Pride Park outside of the covid seasons.

If anyone on here seriously is looking forward to that more than a chance to see Derby in the Europa League then fair play to you all, won’t knock the opinion but theres no amount of people will change my mind on that one! 

Yeah but David, what you are capturing there is the pointless cup competitions rather than being in league 1 per se. 

I agree that these sops to lower leagues really don't work. They don't inspire, they get in the way and they do not attract supporters. 

Bin them off I say.... 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because the poster starts by telling us all how they dislike what football has become in the leagues above us!

But then goes on to say ...

Are they expecting those teams to join us in League 1? 

So I wasn't laughing at them but at their view on football.

I'm hoping there's not more than one season in League 1, it's not for me.

I'm aware that sounds contradictory. Some context to my 'hilarious' view on football... I used to follow top flight football avidly, whether Derby were in it or not. Now I detest what the Premier League, parachute teams etc. stand for. Money has destroyed the game, players feel so far removed from the fans and the sense of entitlement some fans have as a result, I find infuriating... blah blah blah nostalgia for the good old days blah blah blah.

Doesn't mean that I wouldn't follow Derby if we were in the Premier League. I would feel less connected if we 'bought' our way there, as seemed the strategy under Mel. It would feel better to me and I would be happier to be there if we built the club in a sustainable way from this point upwards.

I like the approach we have at the moment and I think a lot of people do but *arrogance alert* we have potential beyond League 1 and therefore, I think we would be under performing if we were in this league for too long. And just seeing how some of our fans have reacted to a couple of 0-0 away from home, I fear things could get toxic and difficult to enjoy quite quickly.

Therefore, in explicitly answering the OP's question... I'm enjoying League 1 and the way the club is rebuilding but I would like the club to realise it's potential and challenge at the highest level. I would love it if we could get there going about it in a sustainable and 'positive' way (my utopian opinion of course).

I don't think there's a massive contradiction in that view point but perhaps I didn't articulate myself that well.

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yeah but David, what you are capturing there is the pointless cup competitions rather than being in league 1 per se. 

I agree that these sops to lower leagues really don't work. They don't inspire, they get in the way and they do not attract supporters. 

Bin them off I say.... 

I suspect that is what will happen.  Even if we do need to play a decent team, we will tell players to give nominal effort and not risk injury.

I hope we lose, as as soon as we are out we can concentrate on the issues in hand.  

34 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

don't think there's a massive contradiction in that view point but perhaps I didn't articulate myself that well.

I understood you completely and I fully agree with you. Have no doubts about your articulation skills - you came across loud and clear. Any faults in interpretation rest with those who read what you say and then choose to put their own misinterpretation on it.

3 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I understood you completely and I fully agree with you. Have no doubts about your articulation skills - you came across loud and clear. Any faults in interpretation rest with those who read what you say and then choose to put their own misinterpretation on it.

I always said you were a good egg... You can stay.

I'm fairness to our pal @RoyMac5they've been grumpy ever since Chrissy M left, so we have to grant some slack.

13 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Unlike the EFL divisions, the Premier League is not an English competition anymore; it is an international competition.

The PL clubs are overwhelmingly in the hands of foreign owners. Among the PL players, the English are a minority group. The EFL has to largely rely too much on its income derived from people living in the land that is now Brexit. In contrast the overwhelming majority of the PL income comes from 'fans' that live outside these shores by way of the PL world rights TV income. It's only claim now to be an English league is by the fact that the games that make up this competition are played, for now at least, in England; but you may remember the ludicrous proposal of some years ago to create the 39th game where ten fixtures would be played at stadiums dotted all over the world. That attempt was defeated within the corridors of FIFA, normally noted for its corrupt practices but on this case recognising that the corrupt PL proposal was just a step too far. Wimbledon of course, sought to move their franchise to Dublin but that was too much for even the Premier League.

By contrast, the EFL is much more of a home competition, played out on a much more level playing field. But even that competition is corrupted by the greed of the PL barons by the payment of parachute money to its relegated clubs, which gives those clubs an unfair advantage in terms of financial fair play. It has created an elite group of yo-yo clubs that move regularly up and down at the expense of the other clubs who aspire to reach the top tier. The system starves the grassroots clubs further down the pyramid of the previous much-needed downward investment which assisted their struggle to survive.

Of course I still aspire to Derby County returning to the PL for one simple reason; the step up would recognise us again for being a top club in the EFL. The step up to the international league would be taken with some trepidation because we know full well just how difficult it will be from our last time up there. What we get to watch is likely to be much less comfortable than what we were used to in the Championship.

But for all that, I will be quite happy to see out my final seasons of watching the Rams within the comfort zone of the Championship. I will die a happy fan because like the other posters on here of my generation, we saw the only two teams to bring home the Football League Division One trophy to sit in our clubs boardroom, in 1972 and 1975. I know it pisses off a minority of the younger posters when we Uncle Alberts mention that.

But you may have overlooked a fact that should be central to your aspirations for Derby County this season. If our team finishes this season as champions of this league, the Uncle Alberts will never again be able to make the exclusive claim that I mention above. For it will mean that at the end of the season you will see Curtis Davies lift the very same trophy, that Archie Gemmill and Roy McFarland lifted before him (actually both were presented to Gemmill because on the first occasion McFarland was travelling back from England duty when the trophy was handed over).

So we will all have seen it done. But if that triumph awaits us, don't you young 'uns get too cocky. Just remember it will be a hat-trick for the Uncle Alberts ?

COYR

If we win the league this season I don’t think Curtis will receive the same trophy that Archie and co got back in the 70s. That trophy goes to the winners of the Championship. Our league has a modern identikit style trophy. We Uncle Alberts can continue to make our claims therefore, for at least another season after this one. And hopefully not thereafter.

8 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Therefore, in explicitly answering the OP's question... I'm enjoying League 1 and the way the club is rebuilding but I would like the club to realise it's potential and challenge at the highest level. I would love it if we could get there going about it in a sustainable and 'positive' way (my utopian opinion of course).

I don't think there's a massive contradiction in that view point but perhaps I didn't articulate myself that well.

I blame Jimmy Hill! ?

The game is as it ever was I think, just more extreme in it's peaks and troughs. I'm not sure this 'utopian' vision of football ever existed I think it's 'the eyes of the beholder' that change? TBH if we bought our way out of both divisions I could live with it - Mel tried he was just a rubbish owner! ?

#COYR

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

if you look at my posts earlier today you will see how much I dislike the PL and how its parachute payments have distorted fair competition in the Championship. I'm fully with Rodley on that. Until the PL was formed with its greedy thirst for money at the expense of the lesser clubs, English football was played on a level playing field. That's how Burnley, Ipswich, Derby County (twice) and Forest became champions in my life time against all the odds. That's impossible nowadays and don't come back and give me the Leicester b******* because that was funded on dubious Thai bahts.

The greedy thirst to reach the PL was what turned Mel Morris to go down the dubious route which ended up taking us into administration and then to League One.

The grass wasn't always greener yesteryear but competitive football in this country was. It is now controlled for the benefit of a small handful of elite clubs who year after year compete for the top four places for entry to the Champions League.

I'm with Rodley, the further you climb the s****** it gets.

Pin this ^^^^ post.

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bin them off I say.... 

It’s all very simple really, just need me in charge of football. Here is my manifesto.

Keep the FA Cup.

Scrap the League Cup.

Scrap the EFL Trophy.

Create a EFL Cup where only Championship, League 1 and League 2 clubs compete, decent money on offer for the winner as an incentive. No gimmicks like handing the man of the match a free pizza. The final must be played at Wembley and a cap on ticket prices to make the final affordable. Semi finals to take place at neutral venues between the 2 clubs. 

By removing the League Cup, this allows Premier League clubs a little breathing space where they don’t have to complain about fixture congestion. If the owners decide to send them over to Asia for a friendly, that’s on them.

The FA Cup is the one that holds the tradition, the memories. The League Cup is nothing but a sideshow until it gives a club the chance to play in Europe. 

By replacing 2 cups for one will also help League 1 and 2 clubs that have to play an insane number of games if they were to go on 3 cup runs. 

#VoteDavid

3 minutes ago, David said:

It’s all very simple really, just need me in charge of football. Here is my manifesto.

Keep the FA Cup.

Scrap the League Cup.

Scrap the EFL Trophy.

Create a EFL Cup where only Championship, League 1 and League 2 clubs compete, decent money on offer for the winner as an incentive. No gimmicks like handing the man of the match a free pizza. The final must be played at Wembley and a cap on ticket prices to make the final affordable. Semi finals to take place at neutral venues between the 2 clubs. 

By removing the League Cup, this allows Premier League clubs a little breathing space where they don’t have to complain about fixture congestion. If the owners decide to send them over to Asia for a friendly, that’s on them.

The FA Cup is the one that holds the tradition, the memories. The League Cup is nothing but a sideshow until it gives a club the chance to play in Europe. 

By replacing 2 cups for one will also help League 1 and 2 clubs that have to play an insane number of games if they were to go on 3 cup runs. 

#VoteDavid

No 

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

If we win the league this season I don’t think Curtis will receive the same trophy that Archie and co got back in the 70s. That trophy goes to the winners of the Championship. Our league has a modern identikit style trophy. We Uncle Alberts can continue to make our claims therefore, for at least another season after this one. And hopefully not thereafter.

Thanks Ilkley. I can see now you're right on that. We'll just have to say that if the ultimate does happen this season, Derby County become champions of EFL Division One for the third time in their history ?

54 minutes ago, David said:

Keep the FA Cup.

Scrap the League Cup.

Scrap the EFL Trophy.

#VoteDavid

I am not voting until FA cup replays return ?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I blame Jimmy Hill! ?

The game is as it ever was I think, just more extreme in it's peaks and troughs. I'm not sure this 'utopian' vision of football ever existed I think it's 'the eyes of the beholder' that change? TBH if we bought our way out of both divisions I could live with it - Mel tried he was just a rubbish owner! ?

#COYR

The 69/70 season were halcyon days at the Baseball ground, over 40 thousand crammed in like sardines. Mind you l am in my 70's now so prob coudnt stand for 3 hours like that now??

1 hour ago, David said:

Keep the FA Cup.

Scrap the League Cup.

Scrap the EFL Trophy.

#VoteDavid

League Cup gives a good opportunity to win silverware. Derby have been awful in this competition apart from one season. Shame- the teams that have won in my lifetime like - Birmingham, Leicester, Swansea, Boro, Blackburn generally have not won much else in living memory. I've become disinterested in cups ONLY because we tend to field weakened sides and its very annoying. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Keep the FA Cup.

Scrap the League Cup.

Scrap the EFL Trophy.

#VoteDavid

That's excellent David. I can only assume, that unlike yesterday, you woke up with your thinking cap on this morning ?

50 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not voting until FA cup replays return ?

I was saying for decades that FA Cup replays were outmoded.

Its a knock out competition, with random draws where anyone can play anyone, anywhere. Great, just get it done.

As a Derby fan its definitely better just having a result on the day...going to lower /similar league team potentially to scrap out a bore draw isn't much fun.

Premier League teams more likely to put out stronger teams too, which ultimately is what fans want.  Lots of lower league would also instead of 'going for it' play for a home 0-0, hoping for a return away leg to generate money, whereupon they would only get beat..still to a weakened team.

46 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

The 69/70 season were halcyon days at the Baseball ground, over 40 thousand crammed in like sardines. Mind you l am in my 70's now so prob coudnt stand for 3 hours like that now??

Kath, you still have to stand like that at away games now. It doesn't make it easy for us senior citizens but I'm still managing it at 70. My cut-off date for when my lifelong away travel has to be terminated early lies somewhere in the future. I just hope those younger fans who enforce the standing, show a bit more respect to their own grandparents than they do to us at away games. For every away game for many years now I have paid for a seat that I never get to use except at half time.

COYR

38 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Kath, you still have to stand like that at away games now. It doesn't make it easy for us senior citizens but I'm still managing it at 70. My cut-off date for when my lifelong away travel has to be terminated early lies somewhere in the future. I just hope those younger fans who enforce the standing, show a bit more respect to their own grandparents than they do to us at away games. For every away game for many years now I have paid for a seat that I never get to use except at half time.

COYR

Spot on, Brailsford. Even at Fleetwood when there was a choice, fans insisted on standing in the seated area from about Row three backwards. It will be the same at Morecambe too.

Yet the standing area nowhere near sold out yet.

3 hours ago, David said:

Keep the FA Cup.

Scrap the League Cup.

Scrap the EFL Trophy.

#VoteDavid

Will it be on the red button.