Who s enjoying league 1?

Archied

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t think you can get more excited about the prospect of playing fleetwood rather than arsenal for sure but once the game kicks off and you get immersed following your team the excitement and enjoyment levels are very good , as I agreed before there’s no point in sport if we are not striving to be at the top level and being the best we can be at that level but that doesn’t take anything away from enjoying where we are now and working towards getting there

Of course, I mean I’ve already said I’m enjoying watching Derby win games and be at the right end of the table. That part of my initial posts appear to be ignored. 

Make it sound like I’m watching games with my arms folded and being a Victor Medlrew which isn’t the case, I’m just not enjoying the fact it’s in the third tier of English football. Simple as that.

I can’t sit here and pretend it’s great and that I’m happy to see the club here, whilst others seem more than happy to mock the Premier League and distance themselves from wanting to see us up there. I’m staying true to myself by saying I want to see the club back in the top flight.

I’m 40 years old, the best times I can remember being a fan was under Jim Smith and in the Premier League, even then the gulf between us and Manchester United was huge. Sure we beat them, no club is unbeatable, but to see us back up there on the cusp of Europe is where I want to see this club. Right now we have never been so far away from making that dream a reality.

8 weeks ago we didn't have a club, let alone, a team, so let's all be thankful for what we have got this season, no matter how it may turn out at the end.

I've enjoyed every game this season, just by being at Pride Park, watching the team I've now supported for nearly 61 years. and yes, unfortunately, I'm one of the "Uncle Alberts" as mentioned above!!!

I've seen the good, the bad and ugly teams, as well as the ever ongoing shenanigans of watching Derby County, but I don't think I would have it any other way.

The Saturday afternoon, 3.00 pm kick-off's, are great, which ensures I can meet up with my brother regularly, to watch a game of football.

Yes, i would like to see The Rams back in the higher divisions, but for now, I'm enjoying the ride.

9 minutes ago, David said:

The first sentence is completely untrue, of course it’s an English competition, just because there are a large percentage of international players does not take that away.

Next you will be telling me we was not an English club when Jim Smith was here. I mean come on. 

I kind of see both sides of that debate as it really is very very much about qualification for champions league ( except it not champions league but rather European league ) being champions of England is very much diluted and less important, time was it was compete to be the best in England then compete to be the best of Europe against the best from each country 

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I watched every minute home and away of the 11 points season. It was an overall dreadful, humiliating  and shameful experience that I never want to come close to repeating ever again. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't wish on any club's supporters. I am in my 62nd continuous season of watching Derby I have always been proud to be a Ram but the worst team in history tested my loyalty to the very limit. It was the only side that was hopelessly out of its depth in the Division it played in. There were too many gutless players who had given up the fight very early in the season. There were simply too many who were not fit to wear the shirt. If they really brought out the best in you, I need to have some of what you were on. Paddy Power paid out to all punters who bet on Derby to be relegated before the end of August. Because of that team we have been taunted ever since as being the worst team in history. Because of that team it is a label that we may never lose.

How can you even mention that team in the same breath as the team who fought so hard for us last season? The team that showed more guts than any of the teams I have seen against the most gutless. The team and the fans last season fought together for our very survival until the very end. The worst team in history had thrown in the towel by the end of August. The only reason the fans remained behind them was simply the fans are Derby 'til I die but there weren't many players in that side who could say the same.

Walking out of Wembley after beating WBA on that miserable May day, I said to my Son..."what on earth have we just done", Dad the reply was...we're in the Premier League...Man U, Liverpool Arsenal et al.

Then we bought Claude Davis... image.png.93001b7232ad9f8ee6f45d1cedf16ac9.png

Edited by Unlucky Alf

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

I kind of see both sides of that debate as it really is very very much about qualification for champions league ( except it not champions league but rather European league ) being champions of England is very much diluted and less important, time was it was compete to be the best in England then compete to be the best of Europe against the best from each country 

Look I mean at 40 years old I think it’s highly likely I won’t have the pleasure of seeing Derby County crowned Champions of England, you can never say never as Leicester City fans will tell you, but it’s highly unlikely.

Next best thing is seeing your club in Europe, again, some have been lucky enough to see us play Real Madrid, where realistically now at best we can grab an away day is some remote city in Eastern Europe in the Europa League. I’ll take it. 

Derby County in the Europa League would be amazing, even a midweek game under the floodlights against Rangers at Pride Park, not a pre season friendly, a competitive cup competition.

Absolutely no reason why that cannot be the long term aim for this club and it should be for a number of clubs even in this league like Sheffield Wednesday.

Meanwhile we play Grimsby Town tomorrow where the man of the match will get a free pizza, a game played with only one stand open and most likely the lowest attendance seen at Pride Park outside of the covid seasons.

If anyone on here seriously is looking forward to that more than a chance to see Derby in the Europa League then fair play to you all, won’t knock the opinion but theres no amount of people will change my mind on that one! 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Not hard is it? I mean who would have thought wanting to see your club in the top flight would draw so much opposition.

Let’s hope we go down again this season hey, some more new grounds to visit 

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

You’d be banned for trolling if you didn’t own the forum! ?

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You’d be banned for trolling if you didn’t own the forum! ?

Genuine opinions cannot be considered as trolling, only when you are saying stuff to get a rise out of others. Would expect all my moderators to know the difference, ‘kin ell.

Already 16 pages in the Carabao cup 3rd round draw topic…..the opposition, Liverpool.

Why the excitement to go to Anfield, a game we don’t really expect to win, I mean come on. If that sells out and we don’t sell out tomorrow night in the East stand, something wrong there surely.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Look I mean at 40 years old I think it’s highly likely I won’t have the pleasure of seeing Derby County crowned Champions of England, you can never say never as Leicester City fans will tell you, but it’s highly unlikely.

Next best thing is seeing your club in Europe, again, some have been lucky enough to see us play Real Madrid, where realistically now at best we can grab an away day is some remote city in Eastern Europe in the Europa League. I’ll take it. 

Derby County in the Europa League would be amazing, even a midweek game under the floodlights against Rangers at Pride Park, not a pre season friendly, a competitive cup competition.

Absolutely no reason why that cannot be the long term aim for this club and it should be for a number of clubs even in this league like Sheffield Wednesday.

Meanwhile we play Grimsby Town tomorrow where the man of the match will get a free pizza, a game played with only one stand open and most likely the lowest attendance seen at Pride Park outside of the covid seasons.

If anyone on here seriously is looking forward to that more than a chance to see Derby in the Europa League then fair play to you all, won’t knock the opinion but theres no amount of people will change my mind on that one! 

David those are great ambitions, And one we all would like to see...I think, Like other old uns on here I was lucky enough to see Real Madrid, Benfica and Atletico Madrid at the BBG, But times have moved on, The 3pm kick off is the one thing that fits the bill, I can see my friends on a match day before and after the game, Friday night, Saturday lunchtime/tea time, Sunday lunch time, Monday evenings put a spoke in the wheel for not only just myself but my friends who had work or other commitments on those match days.

It's a game of football nothing more, But Saturday when that 2nd goal went in...my did I whoop it up, 89 mins of staid football then 6 mins of earth shattering bliss, When we can get a crowd of 26k plus PP on a Saturday afternoon is a great place to spend 2 hours, Any other day...aint the same even if the result against Prem teams were. 

To answer the original question, I AM enjoying League One - so far. And that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather be in the Prem at all.

But last season and this season there has been much more togetherness on and off the field, than a few of the preceding seasons in the Championship. The crowd expected the players to deliver, weren't contributing much themselves, and were critical of managers and players far better than the ones we currently have.

I have to go back to 13/14 for the sort of atmosphere we have now.

Will it take us back to where we want to be? I don't know but if we stick together it might.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Already 16 pages in the Carabao cup 3rd round draw topic…..the opposition, Liverpool.

Why the excitement to go to Anfield, a game we don’t really expect to win, I mean come on. If that sells out and we don’t sell out tomorrow night in the East stand, something wrong there surely.

Are you serious?

Potential for a historic cup win against Liverpool at Anfield from the season where we are reborn as a club, verses a home game where we’ll probably put out a reserve team.

I’ll be there tomorrow and look to get tickets to Anfield.

Look at those who went to Old Trafford in the Lampard season, memories to last a lifetime.

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

David those are great ambitions, And one we all would like to see...I think, Like other old uns on here I was lucky enough to see Real Madrid, Benfica and Atletico Madrid at the BBG, But times have moved on, The 3pm kick off is the one thing that fits the bill, I can see my friends on a match day before and after the game, Friday night, Saturday lunchtime/tea time, Sunday lunch time, Monday evenings put a spoke in the wheel for not only just myself but my friends who had work or other commitments on those match days.

It's a game of football nothing more, But Saturday when that 2nd goal went in...my did I whoop it up, 89 mins of staid football then 6 mins of earth shattering bliss, When we can get a crowd of 26k plus PP on a Saturday afternoon is a great place to spend 2 hours, Any other day...aint the same even if the result against Prem teams were. 

As you say, you’ve seen it, many of us haven’t and would love the opportunity to. 

Stayed loyal to this club whilst others went down the path of supporting the likes of United and Liverpool.

Would love to be on this forum when I’m 70+ and bore the young’uns about the nights under the floodlights at Pride Park, have shirt collections which I can reminisce over the glory days.

Not sure why anyone would begrudge myself and others for holding out for that. 

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Are you serious?

Potential for a historic cup win against Liverpool at Anfield from the season where we are reborn as a club, verses a home game where we’ll probably put out a reserve team.

I’ll be there tomorrow and look to get tickets to Anfield.

Look at those who went to Old Trafford in the Lampard season, memories to last a lifetime.

I’m sat here and being told it’s all about watching Derby winning that’s all that matters, doesn’t matter who it’s against, if true surely tomorrow night gives you a greater opportunity than even the Liverpool second string, which it will be.

Yet if I talk about being in the same league as Liverpool, aiming to be competitive, making memories, I get laughed out and told League 1 is where the fun is at. Premier League is just some international money league now, who wants to play those teams, not us.

Oh, unless it’s in a cup against their second string.

Makes perfect sense.

6 minutes ago, David said:

I’m sat here and being told it’s all about watching Derby winning that’s all that matters, doesn’t matter who it’s against, if true surely tomorrow night gives you a greater opportunity than even the Liverpool second string, which it will be.

Yet if I talk about being in the same league as Liverpool, aiming to be competitive, making memories, I get laughed out and told League 1 is where the fun is at. Premier League is just some international money league now, who wants to play those teams, not us.

Oh, unless it’s in a cup against their second string.

Makes perfect sense.

I knew you weren’t serious.

37 minutes ago, David said:

It won’t be the lowest attendance at Pride Park, that was against Salford in the League cup 4,747.