Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Did a quick reccy of ground location, while passing through Shrewsbury last week.  The ground is pretty much tucked away behind a Lidl with minimal sign posting. Finding Lidl is a lot easier!  Strange banner at the entrance which read 'Breathe on 'em Salop'. Watch out for locals with halitosis to those travelling on Tuesday.775496978_2022-08-1014_09_32.thumb.jpg.6903f373975ef8c70b20671c0b6e6fe9.jpg

Yes, the ground is a bit of a trek from the train station. I am driving to my mates and then his missus is dropping us off and collecting us after the game. Just a 25 minute drive for me ??

6 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Just spoken to a Wycombe fan work colleague who was at the Wycombe Shrewsbury game on Saturday

His opinion on Shrewsbury - an appalling team who just sit behind the ball, pack defence and who went down at every opportunity feigning injury and wasting time - he predicts a win for us.

I however think this game and Saturday will tell us a lot about how we cope with such teams. A good week of results and I think we've come through the difficult period of our players gelling with each other and finally getting their match fitness sorted

COYR

The audacity of a Wycombe fan criticising other teams for playacting & defensive hoofball ?

Totally agree is going to be an interesting few days with Shrewsbury, then Fleetwood in the space of 5 days. These games I believe will be more indicative of League One than our first 3 opponents, who all tried to play to some extent. If we can nail 4 points, that'd be a great indicator of progress.

As to the line up, I would personally play Sibley & see if we can get them on the back foot early. Shrewsbury had a mere 35% of the ball on Sat & will have run themselves ragged in the heat. Would understand if Rosenior wanted more solidity & Sibley as an impact sub once their fitness levels have tumbled further though.

I can't say I've been tuning into Shrewsbury's games much as of late - or ever - but everyone including their fans seem to think they're just going to sit back, launch it and be b*****ds?

Sounds like the perfect game to have Sibley start, carrying the ball through the middle as he does and looking to run past one or two. That might be the only way we get through them.

I suspect thats what Liam will do, same team as usual but Sibley for Smith. McGoldrick off the bench could be handy if we need a goal last 10-15, especially if he can cause half the havoc he did as against Hertha Berlin.

Really depends on who's fatigued for this one. 

Assuming no one else is back to fitness. I'd be thinking about playing Smith or Thompson over Hourihane given he played the full 90mins and looked shattered after 60. And probably Dobbin for one of the wingers. I'd start Sibley but with the idea of taking him off on the hour mark.

3 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Did a quick reccy of ground location, while passing through Shrewsbury last week.  The ground is pretty much tucked away behind a Lidl with minimal sign posting. Finding Lidl is a lot easier!  Strange banner at the entrance which read 'Breathe on 'em Salop'. Watch out for locals with halitosis to those travelling on Tuesday.775496978_2022-08-1014_09_32.thumb.jpg.6903f373975ef8c70b20671c0b6e6fe9.jpg

That must be one big Lidl 

I'd start with Forsyth and Smith in for Roberts and Sibley with the latter two coming on in the second half. 

This will be a physical battle and after Saturdays heat,  some fresh legs need to start the game. 

I think we will see McGoldrick and Dobbin come on second half. Saturday,  Tuesday,  Saturday will be tough for a half prepared squad 

I’m not sure I’d describe Oxford’s performance as a footballing one. They seem obsessed with kicking our team as much as possible, typified by their number 8 who I subsequently discovered was among the top scoring midfielders in the division last season. Deplorable performance from him. The last ten, they did try and play football and looked half decent otherwise for the other eighty minutes? Agricultural is the word that springs to mind. 

And Hourihane , to my eyes looked much much fitter on Saturday. Along with Bird he’s integral to us controlling midfield. Bird is good on the ball, Hourihane is sublime. He plays every game possible for me.

Wildsmith

Knight Stearman Cashin Forsyth

Smith Bird Hourihane

Mendez-Laing Collins Dobbin

Thought Roberts struggled aerially the other day at times, when Barnsley started going long. Given Shrewsbury are your archetypical hoofball team, I think this might be a game for Forsyth’s physicality.

Similarly, away from home in particular, I think Sibley has more impact off the bench, so I think starting Smith might give us a bit more strength and presence against a team of thugs.

Both Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen looked knackered second half against Barnsley in the heat, so both probably need a rest with such a short turnaround between games. The heavy fixture schedule this season means rotation will be vital. We’ve only really got Dobbin to give a chance to from the start, so we can only rest one really. Mendez-Laing scored so I’ve left him in, but he could equally be rested.

21 hours ago, angieram said:

It's a tough call with Sibley. I thought he played well on Saturday, but when he tires we haven't got a sub who can make a similar impact to Sibley! 

We need that right back quickly, as this will free up another energetic player further up the field.

I'd keep Sibley in the starting line-up, otherwise what message does it send out to him over the other players, but I bet Liam doesn't. 

My concern is that we saw what happened in Saturday when we took Sibley off and went more workman like in Smith, the opposition know he's no threat and step up gaining attacking momentum,  taking him off on Saturday changed the dynamic of the match. So it is a concern, which means having him as a sub is potentially a better tactic, but McGoldrick is fit now so he should be the replacement.

If Shrewsbury Park the bus we need one of them 2 on the pitch to unlock them.

Saturday should have been Hourihane subbed as he looks like he's done for after 70 mins

12 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

My concern is that we saw what happened in Saturday when we took Sibley off and went more workman like in Smith, the opposition know he's no threat and step up gaining attacking momentum,  taking him off on Saturday changed the dynamic of the match. So it is a concern, which means having him as a sub is potentially a better tactic, but McGoldrick is fit now so he should be the replacement.

Saturday should have been Hourihane subbed as he looks like he's done for after 70 mins

Agreed...we need added goal threat.

We want these teams to view us like a weak Premier League team would see Man City- happy to take a point.

They will see us as a scalp, so if we go defensive they will gain confidence so I feel we should go front foot and make them sit in. 

3 or 4 points from the next 2 games would be decent, so let's set our stall out and try and play our way out this League rather than be negative and happy to take 0-0.

25 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

The momentum was already with them when Sibley came off.  He barely touched the ball second half. For me Smith should have gone alongside Bird straight away instead of waiting ten minutes. 

I would agree that Hourihane seems untouchable even when blowing out of his Harris and not offering loads defensively. 

19 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Just spoken to a Wycombe fan work colleague who was at the Wycombe Shrewsbury game on Saturday

His opinion on Shrewsbury - an appalling team who just sit behind the ball, pack defence and who went down at every opportunity feigning injury and wasting time - he predicts a win for us.

I however think this game and Saturday will tell us a lot about how we cope with such teams. A good week of results and I think we've come through the difficult period of our players gelling with each other and finally getting their match fitness sorted

COYR

This is the type of game I hate, we are expected to win, everyone try’s to write off the opponents and it always comes back to bite us in the bum. 

they know the division well and we are still gelling and lack fitness, if I was Shrewsbury I would be thing if there is a time to play Derby it is now. That said I am still going for a hard fought win to the Rams 

16 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

This is the type of game I hate, we are expected to win, everyone try’s to write off the opponents and it always comes back to bite us in the bum. 

they know the division well and we are still gelling and lack fitness, if I was Shrewsbury I would be thing if there is a time to play Derby it is now. That said I am still going for a hard fought win to the Rams 

Generally, I share your unease about tonight but I would just take issue with your comment about Shrewsbury knowing the division well. Surely that is irrelevant for just a single game. They’re not playing the rest of the division, they’re just playing us. So, if we think our style of football is different to your typical league 1 team then surely that’s as much of a challenge for Shrewsbury as it is for us. Secondly, as has been discussed previously, I don’t think there is a big a difference between The Championship and League 1. Of course, generally speaking, the quality of the players and the style of play is a little different but not massively.