Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

48 minutes ago, 61GT said:

I live just outside Newport, a fairly short drive along the B5062 to Shrewsbury. Went to Shrewsbury v Rochdale in the Carabao Cup last August, what a grim match that was, hoping for much better tonight.

I’ll be the lone Derby fan sat with all the locals ???

Really looking forward to tonight’s game COYR!

No you won't....I am in the home end too.....

It’s a difficult one to call. However, they will be very fired up. Their match stats suggest their football is at best agricultural. They’ll not give us any time on the ball and will launch and hoof at will. We need to get the ball under control and get it to the wings asap. 
I say we should try and impose our game on them. Maybe rest Hourihane and Roberts and bring in Forsyth and start Sibley on left midfield. We need more strength in midfield so maybe another game for Rooney? 
It will be a tough battle. It will be ugly. However, I always played football to win. Can see this being a 1-1 unless we score early and take the game to them. 

6 hours ago, sage said:

The momentum was already with them when Sibley came off.  He barely touched the ball second half. For me Smith should have gone alongside Bird straight away instead of waiting ten minutes. 

I would agree that Hourihane seems untouchable even when blowing out of his Harris and not offering loads defensively. 

Maybe the momentum had started to shift, but the 'negative' sub by bringing Smith on gave them an increased belief, imo we reacted the wrong way with the sub to address them getting a foothold, it is something we've done a lot in recent years, making a defensive or conservative sub rather than posing a new threat.

As I said, fine, bring Smith on but take Hourihane off, if he'd have sat alongside Bird and we tweaked to a 4231, Sibley could have had 10mins to get back in the game, then use McGoldrick to replace him if not, we have 5 subs now so should be looking to regain control by using them. I do believe teams having seen Sibley run with the ball already this season will always have an eye on him even if he's not that heavily involved, same with NML, so it keeps the opposition defence occupied anyway.

I think the dilemma with Hourihane is he can be a threat from the edge of the area, but we need to get to that point to allow that to happen..... he does look laboured after 60 mins though.

17 hours ago, sage said:

I'd start with Forsyth and Smith in for Roberts and Sibley with the latter two coming on in the second half. 

This will be a physical battle and after Saturdays heat,  some fresh legs need to start the game. 

I think we will see McGoldrick and Dobbin come on second half. Saturday,  Tuesday,  Saturday will be tough for a half prepared squad 

Definitely think Forsyth should start, Roberts struggled for the last 25 on Saturday and showed his inexperience,  do him good to watch from the side then use later if needed for fresh legs.

Smith is a difficult one, and this may be the right game to start him purely so Sibley can come on 2nd half and scare the he'll out if them fir 30 minutes 

7 hours ago, Rich84 said:

My concern is that we saw what happened in Saturday when we took Sibley off and went more workman like in Smith, the opposition know he's no threat and step up gaining attacking momentum,  taking him off on Saturday changed the dynamic of the match. So it is a concern, which means having him as a sub is potentially a better tactic, but McGoldrick is fit now so he should be the replacement.

If Shrewsbury Park the bus we need one of them 2 on the pitch to unlock them.

Saturday should have been Hourihane subbed as he looks like he's done for after 70 mins

Another way of looking at it is... Shrewsbury will park the bus and leave no space for Sibley to work in. Having Smith in the side instead would give us a better chance of picking up the second balls following their direct play up to their forwards.

3 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Definitely think Forsyth should start, Roberts struggled for the last 25 on Saturday and showed his inexperience,  do him good to watch from the side then use later if needed for fresh legs.

Smith is a difficult one, and this may be the right game to start him purely so Sibley can come on 2nd half and scare the he'll out if them fir 30 minutes 

Fozzys distribution isn't as good as Roberts. Playing out accurately and keeping the ball will be critical tonight. 

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Fozzys distribution isn't as good as Roberts. Playing out accurately and keeping the ball will be critical tonight. 

Roberts was very poor with the ball in the last quarter on Saturday and Forsyth aerial ability may come in handy, but I would be happy with either starting 

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Another way of looking at it is... Shrewsbury will park the bus and leave no space for Sibley to work in. Having Smith in the side instead would give us a better chance of picking up the second balls following their direct play up to their forwards.

I see that as a defensive approach, we need players that can beat a man when the opposition park the bus, or be a threat when we win the ball back after one of their attacks. The very minimum is to win free kicks in the final 3rd and definitely don't play them back to the half way line..... 

Another reason to have Forsyth in if they lump it forwards and are a big team

Edited by Rich84
Added a bit

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think this is nonsense. If Shrewsbury park the bus it's vital to have Sibley in the starting line up to try to unlock the defence with sharp passes or long shots, rather than all the others passing it backwards and forwards in front of a packed defence. 

33 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I never saw Roberts using the ball well on Saturday and I am fairly certain we will need Forsyth to head the ball away a lot especially away from home on smaller pitches and not to mention giving us someone to aim for on the half way line, yet as we stand Forsyth is probably the back up centre half currently with Davies and Chester unavailable 

Definitely be on board with Fozzy starting tonight, Roberts had a rough time for me and struggled. I haven't seen anything of his distribution to the forward areas, Fozzy showed his evergreen ability of delivering a killer cross vs Mansfield for the first goal. As already said, Shrewsbury will be big and physical in our faces, Roberts is a fine footballer but for now I'd take experience.

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I never saw Roberts using the ball well on Saturday and I am fairly certain we will need Forsyth to head the ball away a lot especially away from home on smaller pitches and not to mention giving us someone to aim for on the half way line, yet as we stand Forsyth is probably the back up centre half currently with Davies and Chester unavailable 

Its all about opinions Sparkle.

Early days I know, but a win tonight could get us very near the top of the league, with two of the top six playing each other, and every other team above us playing away from home.

I'd be surprised if we finish top two, but disappointed if we're outside the top 6, and whilst people gave been saying that the teams we have played so far will be there or thereabous at the end of the season, I disagree. There are quite a lot of good teams and good sides in this division, but we don't play many of them in our first dozen or so games.

I don't expect any of the teams we have played yet to be fighting for the play offs, so we really need to be getting results against the Shrewsburys of this world.

32 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Watch the highlights more closely. First two attacking moves shown from Derby, Roberts played key passes. It was only later in the game that his passing became untidy, but by that stage every player was struggling in that respect.

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Maybe the momentum had started to shift, but the 'negative' sub by bringing Smith on gave them an increased belief, imo we reacted the wrong way with the sub to address them getting a foothold, it is something we've done a lot in recent years, making a defensive or conservative sub rather than posing a new threat.

As I said, fine, bring Smith on but take Hourihane off, if he'd have sat alongside Bird and we tweaked to a 4231, Sibley could have had 10mins to get back in the game, then use McGoldrick to replace him if not, we have 5 subs now so should be looking to regain control by using them. I do believe teams having seen Sibley run with the ball already this season will always have an eye on him even if he's not that heavily involved, same with NML, so it keeps the opposition defence occupied anyway.

I think the dilemma with Hourihane is he can be a threat from the edge of the area, but we need to get to that point to allow that to happen..... he does look laboured after 60 mins though.

You don’t actually KNOW it gave them an increased belief. You’re guessing or making an assumption. It could be that they have the same belief in Smith’s ability as LR does and didn’t really see the substitution as weakening the team.