Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

Following two wins in a row, we now face Shrewsbury away in the league for the first time since 1987.

My predicted lineup:

Wildsmith

Stearman   Cashin

Knight   Smith   Bird   Hourihane   Forsyth

Mendez-Laing               Barkhuizen

Collins

Subs: Anang, Rooney, Roberts, Tommo, Sibley, Dobbin, McGoldrick

Sibley to keep his place in the middle? Although a tad unrealistic (or not), I expect us to win most games in this league...surely the team have that expectation too. Maybe too many tired legs after Saturday if fitness is such an issue at this stage?

It's a tough call with Sibley. I thought he played well on Saturday, but when he tires we haven't got a sub who can make a similar impact to Sibley! 

We need that right back quickly, as this will free up another energetic player further up the field.

I'd keep Sibley in the starting line-up, otherwise what message does it send out to him over the other players, but I bet Liam doesn't. 

I'd give Dobbin a start on the left if he is ready and keep Sibley in again. 

We will need to rotate some of the front 3 to keep them fresh, we cant drop Shoulders because he's been one of our key players so far and Collins will start again. 

Mcgoldrick may get some time of the bench though tomorrow and then maybe start Saturday if he does well. 

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's a tough call with Sibley. I thought he played well on Saturday, but when he tires we haven't got a sub who can make a similar impact to Sibley! 

We need that right back quickly, as this will free up another energetic player further up the field.

I'd keep Sibley in the starting line-up, otherwise what message does it send out to him over the other players, but I bet Liam doesn't. 

I'd keep him in. We just look a better attacking unit with more balance and threat about us, rather than being a bit 'samey' with no penetration without him.

And you're right about the message it sends. Remember last season where Sibley won us the game against Peterborough after Lawrence got sent off? He earnt the start (kind of forced in place of suspended Lawrence) and was brought off at half time despite the whole team being poor. We do not want to get into the cycle with him, as we have done last season, of him having to have a worldy performance every moment he gets on the pitch just to see the pitch again the game after.

Sibley needs a run of games in the first team, other players can have a string of 6-7 bad games without being benched. Sibley seemingly has to do very well in every game to avoid being benched.

Attacking players aren't going to at it all the time, it just doesn't happen. Tom Lawrence would show up once a month but still get played every game, Sibley has never been afforded that freedom. I'll be disappointed if he's benched for Smith again on Tuesday. 

Sibbo has to start and I hope stays on. Give him a run of games. Will Rosenior do what's right or what is the easy call for him based on reputation and not performances, and put Smith back in midfield?

When we played Max Lowe at right back he did well. Roberts looks two-footed enough to solve the issue there and free Knight up for the midfield role. My team (with Davies and Chester not fit):

Wildsmith

Roberts     Stearman     Cashin     Forsyth

Bird

Mendez-Laing     Knight     Sibley     Hourihane

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Smith, Thompson, McGoldrick, Barkhuizen, Dobbin

Rosenior's team:

Wildsmith

Knight     Stearman     Cashin     Roberts

Bird     Smith

Mendez-Laing   Hourihane    Barkhuizen

Collins

Subs: Loach, Oduroh, Forsyth, Thompson, Sibley, McGoldrick, Dobbin

52 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Sibley needs a run of games in the first team, other players can have a string of 6-7 bad games without being benched. Sibley seemingly has to do very well in every game to avoid being benched.

Attacking players aren't going to at it all the time, it just doesn't happen. Tom Lawrence would show up once a month but still get played every game, Sibley has never been afforded that freedom. I'll be disappointed if he's benched for Smith again on Tuesday. 

After a hot and tiring game on Saturday, changes are absolutely necessary for this one.
In the past, Sibley was dropped for not performing (unfairly imo). Actions which impacted Sibley negatively. However, dropping him for this one would be different. It would be to keep him fresh and to have as much impact as possible in the 2nd half. There's no pressure on him to 'have a worldy' because he knows he'll be starting again at the weekend.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Can you give me examples in the last 18 months where players have had a string of 6-7 bad games without being benched?

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Can you give me examples in the last 18 months where players have had a string of 6-7 bad games without being benched?

Can you give an example of when Sibley has had 6-7 bad games in a row?

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Plenty - Luke Plange at the back end of last season. Tom Lawrence, at different periods in his Derby career, Lee Buchanan, Martyn Waghorn, Kamil Jozwiak - not to mention Jason Knight and Max Bird both went through a rough patch in the 20/21 season but were still afforded more opportunities than Sibley. 

Just spoken to a Wycombe fan work colleague who was at the Wycombe Shrewsbury game on Saturday

His opinion on Shrewsbury - an appalling team who just sit behind the ball, pack defence and who went down at every opportunity feigning injury and wasting time - he predicts a win for us.

I however think this game and Saturday will tell us a lot about how we cope with such teams. A good week of results and I think we've come through the difficult period of our players gelling with each other and finally getting their match fitness sorted

COYR

2 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Just spoken to a Wycombe fan work colleague who was at the Wycombe Shrewsbury game on Saturday

His opinion on Shrewsbury - an appalling team who just sit behind the ball, pack defence and who went down at every opportunity feigning injury and wasting time - he predicts a win for us.

I however think this game and Saturday will tell us a lot about how we cope with such teams. A good week of results and I think we've come through the difficult period of our players gelling with each other and finally getting their match fitness sorted

COYR

That's something coming from a Wycombe fan.

Do agree about this being a big couple of games for us. We will go as far as our away form takes us this season as we know the home form will be fine. Getting some good away points early will be huge for us going forward.

44 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can you give an example of when Sibley has had 6-7 bad games in a row?

Why do I need to? I am not advocating whether he plays or he doesn’t, or whether he has had a rough deal. My point to @Ambitiouswas that he appeared to be using a dodgy statistic to support his argument. He has subsequently answered, although I could argue all but one of his counterpoints. I accept Plange got lucky’ish being picked at the end of last season, but as he was the only centre forward we had it is easy to see why we continued with him. I think he actually did ok in a team struggling to create many chances.

49 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I still think it's worth trying Liam Thompson at right back (I know it's not a square peg in a square hole, but neither is Knight at RB). I think he has the attributes to do that role and it would allow back Knight into midfield. 

Okay on the ground but when the right winger pings over a cross to the back post and we are relying on Dicky Mint to nod it away, we might be in trouble.

6BA7E0BF-E13A-4145-8894-D53F96EBA3DA.jpeg

34 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

COYR

1-0 Shrewsbury then.

Edited by Scott129