Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Fozzys distribution isn't as good as Roberts. Playing out accurately and keeping the ball will be critical tonight. 

I haven't seen Roberts put in any-good balls so far. I see him get caught out a lot. Fozzy defo needs to start. Give Roberts a wake up call early. He wasn't very good IMO on Saturday.  

20 minutes ago, WestLondonRam said:

I haven't seen Roberts put in any-good balls so far. I see him get caught out a lot. Fozzy defo needs to start. Give Roberts a wake up call early. He wasn't very good IMO on Saturday.  

His job is to be in a position to receive the ball, retain it, turn if possible and move the ball quickly into and through midfield or if prefereable to the situation put the pass down the line. His role is to drop into midfield not bomb on and put crosses in. This tactic is different to last season when the full backs went on the overlap and put in crosses. This season our two wingers are just that, traditional wingers. Im not saying the fullbacks can never overlap if the play dictates it right to do so but its not their primary role.

18 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

His job is to be in a position to receive the ball, retain it, turn if possible and move the ball quickly into and through midfield or if prefereable to the situation put the pass down the line. His role is to drop into midfield not bomb on and put crosses in. This tactic is different to last season when the full backs went on the overlap and put in crosses. This season our two wingers are just that, traditional wingers. Im not saying the fullbacks can never overlap if the play dictates it right to do so but its not their primary role.

Totally agree, But if his job isn't too overlap and his job is to defend, as already said Fozzy is a better Defender. I just don't see Roberts as an improvement on what we already have. 

11 minutes ago, WestLondonRam said:

Totally agree, But if his job isn't too overlap and his job is to defend, as already said Fozzy is a better Defender. I just don't see Roberts as an improvement on what we already have. 

Respect your view West London but I think Roberts is the better player. Fozzy is certainly taller.

1 hour ago, WestLondonRam said:

Dont think Fozzy is that much better defensively to be honest. Still his job is to do more than defend, on the ball we are using the full backs heavily as auxiliary midfielders alongside Bird to help instigate the play. It's why Knight has been particularly effective in the role. Roberts looked a good fit there preseason and has done OK so far with some minor hiccups. 

But Fozzy frankly can't really play that role.

Luke Leahy looks ahead to this evening's match with Derby County - News - Shrewsbury Town

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2022/august/luke-leahy-looks-ahead-to-this-evenings-match-with-derby-county/#.YvvGu0puz6k.mailto

Steve Cotterill previews tomorrow's clash with Derby County

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2022/august/steve-cotterill-previews-tomorrows-clash-with-derby-county/#.YvvJEkCJviM.mailto

Edited by Ellafella

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Respect your view West London but I think Roberts is the better player. Fozzy is certainly taller.

Forsyth has spent the last 10 years of his career in a championship side that has consistently been top half / top 6.  Not sure that we have seen enough of Roberts to think he is a higher level than that.

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Last couple of years we've been a bottom half team - even allowing for the - 21....

Reckon he'd have got in Lutons team last season.

He's comfortably a top half championship player is my point.

Edited by Blondest Goat

On 15/08/2022 at 11:06, Big Bad Bob said:

I still think it's worth trying Liam Thompson at right back (I know it's not a square peg in a square hole, but neither is Knight at RB). I think he has the attributes to do that role and it would allow back Knight into midfield. 

I don’t know enough to 100% agree but Tommo can tackle and won’t let his man go. It could be worth a punt. ??

34 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but please, please, please be careful out there tonight. It seems nobody is safe from this dangerous individual.

https://twitter.com/DAVOSTFC/status/1559545300930465793?t=ttDiDwqDgOzjaaMtxnmmXQ&s=19

Hugely disappointed in the Shrewsbury response “it’s because Derby Fans trying to buy tickets in the home end”  No it is not.

It is because you have a fan who posts bellicose inflammatory statements on social media. Buying a ticket in a none designated spot is one thing. Threatening violence is an entirely different thing. Get your house in order STFC ! 

36 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Forsyth has spent the last 10 years of his career in a championship side that has consistently been top half / top 6.  Not sure that we have seen enough of Roberts to think he is a higher level than that.

Agree , don't write somebody off after only seeing them a couple of times. We are bits from a jigsaw jumbled in a box with less time to arrange ourselves than everyone else in our division. Give them some more games to get to know each other and we will see more cohesion and improved fitness levels. Remember going to big school ? It took time you get to know people and shine. Give the bloke a chance to settle in and show what he can do. COYR