Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

On the Shrewsbury forum they're recalling a Cup Game from 50 years ago. Oh for this Derby team now!

50 years ago, we lost 2-0 to this team in an F.A. Cup tie at the Baseball Ground. Kevin Hector scored both the goals, and we fielded my favourite forward line of all time - Roberts, Andrews, Wood, Groves. I was there.

Colin Boulton
Ron Webster
Roy McFarland
Colin Todd
John Robson
Alan Durban
Archie Gemmill
John McGovern
Alan Hinton
Kevin Hector
John O'Hare

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Plenty - Luke Plange at the back end of last season. Tom Lawrence, at different periods in his Derby career, Lee Buchanan, Martyn Waghorn, Kamil Jozwiak - not to mention Jason Knight and Max Bird both went through a rough patch in the 20/21 season but were still afforded more opportunities than Sibley. 

I think you can add Shinnie to that last. He had a fair few streaks of looking pretty shaky. Same with Morrison too. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

On the Shrewsbury forum they're recalling a Cup Game from 50 years ago. Oh for this Derby team now!

50 years ago, we lost 2-0 to this team in an F.A. Cup tie at the Baseball Ground. Kevin Hector scored both the goals, and we fielded my favourite forward line of all time - Roberts, Andrews, Wood, Groves. I was there.

Colin Boulton
Ron Webster
Roy McFarland
Colin Todd
John Robson
Alan Durban
Archie Gemmill
John McGovern
Alan Hinton
Kevin Hector
John O'Hare

Similar quality team to what we will be putting out on Tuesday then... ?

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Colin Boulton
Ron Webster
Roy McFarland
Colin Todd
John Robson
Alan Durban
Archie Gemmill
John McGovern
Alan Hinton
Kevin Hector
John O'Hare

Back in the day when there was no speculation on team selection, it was just this one.

With Sibley, I’d like to think that the manager takes into account tactics when deciding the line up. It isn’t all down to how well he played the game before.

My view, having watched the Barnsley game back, is that Sibley doesn’t offer as much defensively as Smith. His press is OK, and he has a knack for stealing the ball out a players blind spot (particularly late in the game). But Sibley often takes his eye off his man and follows the ball, leaving himself marking fresh air or in the middle of a triangle chasing the ball. He used to deal with that by jumping into rash tackles, which (credit to him) he seems to have changed this season.

When we’re expected to dominate the ball, I would say that’s a sacrifice worth making to get Sibley’s penetration skills in the side (keep it clean, please). That basically makes him favourite to start in most home games, and also away from home where the opposition are expected to sit in for a draw. I think Shrewsbury fit that bill- so for me, he starts.

Counter argument- Rosie has been very vocal about rotation and fresh legs.  The Carabao R2 game means we now play Sat/Tues/Sat/Tues/Sat, so expect changes.

Counter counter argument- Rosie (like Rooney before him) has form for saying they won’t change a winning side unless they really have to.

Heavens to Betsy, it’s a minefield, isn’t it?!

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Can you give an example of when Sibley has had 6-7 bad games in a row?

Just providing the stats...

19/20
- Started 9 in a row, coming off the bench for the 10th game. 5 goals and 2 assists.

20/21
- Started 2 of the first 3.
- Took until the 14th game to get another start.
- Most starts in a row was just 3, all in different positions (he scored coming off the bench the game before)

21/22
- Started 7 of the first 9 (losing just 2).
- 90 minutes over the next 5 games, then hauled off at half time in the 6th.
- 27 minutes over the next 13 games.
- 1 start over the next 5 games, then hauled off at half time in the 6th again.
- 23 minutes over the next 10 games
- Didn't get to start another until the final day of the season.

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Just spoken to a Wycombe fan work colleague who was at the Wycombe Shrewsbury game on Saturday

His opinion on Shrewsbury - an appalling team who just sit behind the ball, pack defence and who went down at every opportunity feigning injury and wasting time - he predicts a win for us.

I however think this game and Saturday will tell us a lot about how we cope with such teams. A good week of results and I think we've come through the difficult period of our players gelling with each other and finally getting their match fitness sorted

COYR

Blimey - you’re right. See attached stats from Wycombe v Shrewsbury.  Truly a mugging if ever there was one. Wonder how LR will approach this one? 

9BAE0B72-EF6F-40E0-BEC7-C1ED01A7C5E2.png

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just providing the stats...

19/20
- Started 9 in a row, coming off the bench for the 10th game. 5 goals and 2 assists.

20/21
- Started 2 of the first 3.
- Took until the 14th game to get another start.
- Most starts in a row was just 3, all in different positions (he scored coming off the bench the game before)

21/22
- Started 7 of the first 9 (losing just 2).
- 90 minutes over the next 5 games, then hauled off at half time in the 6th.
- 27 minutes over the next 13 games.
- 1 start over the next 5 games, then hauled off at half time in the 6th again.
- 23 minutes over the next 10 games
- Didn't get to start another until the final day of the season.

Makes it look worse when you write it out. Travesty he wasn't used more.

18 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The pass accuracy suggests Shrewsbury are a very direct side.

As @ambitious said above, incredibly direct.

Edited by Jubbs
Showed data someone had already provided!!

Did a quick reccy of ground location, while passing through Shrewsbury last week.  The ground is pretty much tucked away behind a Lidl with minimal sign posting. Finding Lidl is a lot easier!  Strange banner at the entrance which read 'Breathe on 'em Salop'. Watch out for locals with halitosis to those travelling on Tuesday.775496978_2022-08-1014_09_32.thumb.jpg.6903f373975ef8c70b20671c0b6e6fe9.jpg

Edited by Wistaston Ram