Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

Hmm, maybe it might take a few more weeks getting a newly assembled squad to get used to each other as well as how they need to play in order to create and capitalize more in the final third? We have managed to get hold of the ball a lot, gets a fair few corners and aren't overly troubled at the back. Seems like a good foundation early on to me.

That said, a little more tweaks, in-form players, urgency and risk awareness might do us some good though ?.

Onwards and upwards! We took a point from home, almost unthinkable a few months ago!

2 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

To be honest, we could have started Harry Kane today and I don't think he would have scored.

No service, no goals

This is one of those phrases in football I don't always agree with. Service between the striker and the rest of the team isn't a one way street and there were multiple occassions today where Collins got caught on the ball or failed to get into space imo.

Again, not writing him off. Just think Dobbin has showed enough speed, ability and energy in tight spaces to suggest he might do a better job.

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

Need to drive forward more instead of passing the ball about. But the season is still in its infancy. Just take the point. However if we're still having the same conversation in a couple of months time then yes it would be a concern.

Yes this exactly. They're still all getting used to each other and what they can do. 

When is it going to be OK to criticise performances ?!

I’m still at the stage where I am just thankful we have a team to support but that may rub off if we don’t play as well as this group of players should !

10 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Disappointing as we should be beating teams like Shrewsbury.  However an away point, and things will continue to get better.

I do worry about all of the negativity on here so early on in the season, even with a settled squad in pre season, our results so far would be acceptable, but with the rebuilding I think we are doing better than just that.

Keep the faith…

One thing I'll wager, When we play them at ours we'll beat them, We have no divine right to beat teams like Shrewsbury...look at the teams over the years who've been relegated from the Championship with teams far and away better than what we started with and most of them are still in League 1.

This is one physically hard division and we'll be playing more teams some believe we should be beating...I wish football was that simple, It'll come good..lets not rush around, LR knows what's what this will turn into a good learning curve for future games this season.

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Cheer up.  Not healthy brooding over what happened in a previous life.  

Lol, I know. I’m knackered mate, so the combination of that and another disappointing result away from home is getting the better of me. Ordinarily I don’t really comment in the direct aftermath of a poor result. This is why! ?

We can’t continue to play a midfield three of Hourihane, Smith and Bird when we are searching for a goal. It’s fine if we want to protect a lead, but it’s just not going to work in an attacking sense.

I thought Smith looked neat and tidy when he dropped deep. But all he was doing was taking Bird’s role as Bird then became anonymous further up the pitch until they switched back.

Hourihane seems undroppable due to his ability at set-pieces and range of passing. I get that, but he is another who has zero penetration through the middle. It’s all too predictable in there. The balance is off.

Maybe Hourihane needs to play in a wide role. Maybe Barkhuizen can play as the number 10 if Sibley can’t be trusted. Something needs changing in there for sure. 

I felt for NML and Barkhuizen today. It took an age for us to give them the ball and when we did, it’s like we just expected them to beat their man every time and deliver pinpoint crosses. That seemed like the only tactic we had.

Collins also had an impossible job. Challenging crosses on his own against a back three. Pointless. 

1 minute ago, Justa said:

When is it going to be OK to criticise performances ?!

I’m still at the stage where I am just thankful we have a team to support but that may rub off if we don’t play as well as this group of players should !

Wouldn't it be fairer to use the word critique instead of criticism which is a lot less emotive?

If you critique today's performance we simply didn't show enough ambition to win the game so the draw is what we deserved. 

2 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

One thing I'll wager, When we play them at ours we'll beat them, We have no divine right to beat teams like Shrewsbury...look at the teams over the years who've been relegated from the Championship with teams far and away better than what we started with and most of them are still in League 1.

This is one physically hard division and we'll be playing more teams some believe we should be beating...I wish football was that simple, It'll come good..lets not rush around, LR knows what's what this will turn into a good learning curve for future games this season.

I don’t think I think it is a divine right, I am simply saying that we should be beating a team like Shrewsbury given our players and how they and we play.  Just a matter of opinion, not a statement of truth.

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Love how we’ve gone from “thankful to have a football club wherever we finish” to “WE SHOULD BE BEATING TEAMS LIKE SHREWSBURY” in 3 weeks. 

Never change Derby fans. 

Expectations have been raised by what I term to be miracle signings and what we have done so far.  There is nothing wrong with having developed confidence in the team in the time since our darkest hour…

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course we can but we can also make critical comments whilst at the same time recognising it's early days. 

Go for it mate, i just wanted to say, we have signed 13+ players within 6/8 weeks. We are doing ok so far.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Happy with that. League table at this stage of the season is pretty meaningless. Though if we were top then for some folks we would be getting the promotion party started already and if we were bottom them LR needs to walk.

No balance. 

Only 42 games left...have a feeling there's going to be more of the same over the season ?