Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

10 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We have had plenty of chances to score against Charlton and again last night. I'm not buying this "parking the bus" crap.

Besides Collins (whose struggled since leaving Luton..) - I don't think any of those players are known goal scorers , it's no wonder we are struggling for them.

We need another option. Whether it's Cannon from Everton or more experience with goals in the locker.

If Roofe is a target, get him ffs

All of our forwards, with the exception of Dobbin, have contributed regular goals throughout their career, and a regular providers for others. I guess that some football fans are so determined to be downbeat that they are prepared to ignore facts.

34 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

They certainly were not garbage. Well organised, played as a team and defended for their lives. Yes, most of their players do not individually match up to our team, but they make the most of their limited resources and in my opinion deserved their point.

Didn’t feel it was like the charlton game, thought they were more difficult to penetrate. We’ll face this a lot, there’ll be plenty of teams who will be targeting 1 point from each of their games with us. It’ll be interesting to see what LR does - Bird more advanced? (he can make the passes others don’t see), more focus on dead ball situations in attack ? organise a better high press ?  Sit deeper out of possession and look for fast transition. Feel Dobbin will improve with experience and he could become important as a 60 minute sub as defences tire. Fitness levels are not good in this league 

I thought Collin’s attitude wasn’t great last night. Was getting very frustrated and didn’t look like he was enjoying his football. Fleetwood I’d drop him for Didzy. Dobbin was a real bright spark. The main concern was that we weren’t shooting enough and didn’t test the keeper. Hendrick and Bryson used to pop shots off just outside the box and they’d usually win a corner or force a good save to allow us to keep the pressure on. Instead now we try pass it in. Korey Smith isn’t being utilised properly either. He’s a deeper midfielder not an attacker. I’d even be tempted to swap him and knight around for Fleetwood. There were some positives, but are outweighed by the fact we cannot score at the moment. But on that note it’s our best start to a season in 8 so clearly we’re doing something right 

9 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This...listen to LR he's as frustrated as posters on here.

Is he frustrated for the same reason as those most vocally unhappy?

His take is we dominated the game, dictated the pace and created chances that frustratingly we didn't put away and next time we would.

Against Charlton I agree that was right...but maybe last night was more slowly slowly and a touch negative and it was predictable in every sense of the word.

I was frustrated that we didnt move the ball more quickly, didn't try to get players behind their lines and whilst we dominated possession we maybe didn't do enough to really deserve 3 points.

No alarmism ..just an observation. 

We should have started with Sibley. Maybe the result would have been the same or worse but I felt it was an overly defensive line up lacking in ambition and so it proved. The bright spot for me was Dobbin who looked like he could be a threat in future games. Overlapping full backs would be nice though - maybe they are under instruction not to? Who knows. I’m not entirely sure where the goals are coming from but hopefully it will come soon. 

37 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Win on Saturday & it's 10 points from 5 games - automatic promotion form - & we haven't even worked out the best way to play together yet.

Win on Saturday.

That's a big if though isn't it. That's like saying if my business comes good this time next year Rodney we'll be millionaires, with our away record ?

If we score first I think we'll be alright but on what we have seen so far this season we are really lacking in the scoring department. 

I think we need another striker of quality +a RB so we can play Knight in midfield as other people have said. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I asked this last night and got no response, so i'll ask again...

Why are we passing it round the back for over half the game?

We have superior players and we're just ticking the clock down for the opposition turning it into a 30 min football match, then its a lottery

My understanding is playing out from the back is a tactic used to try and beat a press. if 3 or 4 of the opposition press and you play through it you are through and advance on their defence

Last night we played it round the back, beat the shrewsbury one man press then cashin either goes long into their half or it goes into bird or hourihanne. at either point shrewsbury had 10 players all in position in their half

I know its early in the season but I dont see this tactic changing, i can see many away games ending 0-0 or worse. lets be honest, if Shrewsbury were half decent last night going forward we would have been punished 

Edited by DerbyRevolution