Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

I commented on another thread to say Knight playing right back is hampering us further forward and got derided for it. What if Knight was playing in a midfield three if him, Smith / Bird and Hourihane. If he was allowed to make runs into the box or hover round the edge of box like Bryson did. Knight could be picking up goals.

Instead he is stuck at right back. Rosenior needs to find a right back and allow Knight to play his actual role. Rosenior said that Delph played left back and Man City won the league. Yes they did but we are not Man City

I am not suggesting it will solve all the issues but it could be a start.

Find a right back and allow Knight to be a threat in games.

40 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Had a hunch this would be a draw, but i'd put 1-1 in the prediction thread, massivly over estimating the excitment.

It'll come and we didn't get beat.

So did I, but my excitement levels were fully satisfied when I read that we had balls pinging around their box...... 

Heavenly..... ?

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Sad , but true. If we are not in the top 6 at Xmas , Liam will come under pressure.He will know we are short of a 20 goal striker. But even in tier 3 they are expensive.COYR

Do you think? I think play offs would be a bonus this season. We have to stop the rot and - while the quality of players we’ve signed have perhaps changed my expectations a bit- I think it would still be terribly harsh to be judging LR by Christmas if we aren’t challenging for promotion.

Welcome to League 1 Derby County!! These are the games we were warned about and the games that we need to find ways to win  if we are to get out of this league. 

In these games against poor opponents bravery is key. We had mountains of possession over 80% without a shot in the first 35 mins is pretty bad. We didn’t commit enough players to attacks we didn’t take enough risks. Partly the team selection partly the players. We should’ve started like we played in last 5 mins of first half and like the last 15-20 mins.

It is too early to start judging players and judging the manager. I was impressed with his interview on RD, I disagree with him this was like Charlton because we didn’t create enough but there is a method and a plan behind everything he is doing and he has absolute conviction in his beliefs and the way he communicates to the media indicates to me that’s the way he communicates to his players. It couldn’t be clearer what he is trying to do and the substitutions all had clear thought and reasoning behind it.

Its early days, we’ve had a solid but unspectacular start. Time to judge is October/November Liam is preparing his team to have the fitness to kick on at that point. If we’re still playing like tonight in late October, we can start to judge and be more critical. I’m still seeing enough to be positive though tonight wasn’t good enough and immensely frustrating.

I trust in Liam and wait to be proved wrong.

I can understand some of the more negative comments on here, as it’s frustrating to be so dominant yet come away with only a point. But there are going to be games like this in League 1. The key is making sure it doesn’t become a habit- so Fleetwood on Saturday becomes a really important game now.

When we have 80% possession, it somehow feels like we should score 3 or 4. But in a game like this, where teams sit in and hit us on the break, a single goal is all it takes. That completely undermines their game plan, and forces them to play in a way they don’t want to. They are drawn out into a more open battle, creating more space, which allows our superior quality to show.

That’s also why the ball goes side to side, over and over again. When (or if!) we do get the first goal, the opposition are drawn out with tired legs- making it even harder for them to go toe to toe with us in an actual football match.

This all hinges on us actually scoring a goal (!) and that’s where I share the frustration. We had opportunities tonight. Not loads, but there are never going to be loads. We need to show more composure in those clutch moments, and the away form will improve.

I'm actually quite laid back about where we are right now...2 away games totally dominant only 1 point but you know in time we will click and go on a run of winning games..we are right in the mix early season and will only get stronger.

I still strongly believe we will achieve great things this season..exciting times ahead.

17 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Welcome to League 1 Derby County!! These are the games we were warned about and the games that we need to find ways to win  if we are to get out of this league. 

In these games against poor opponents bravery is key. We had mountains of possession over 80% without a shot in the first 35 mins is pretty bad. We didn’t commit enough players to attacks we didn’t take enough risks. Partly the team selection partly the players. We should’ve started like we played in last 5 mins of first half and like the last 15-20 mins.

It is too early to start judging players and judging the manager. I was impressed with his interview on RD, I disagree with him this was like Charlton because we didn’t create enough but there is a method and a plan behind everything he is doing and he has absolute conviction in his beliefs and the way he communicates to the media indicates to me that’s the way he communicates to his players. It couldn’t be clearer what he is trying to do and the substitutions all had clear thought and reasoning behind it.

Its early days, we’ve had a solid but unspectacular start. Time to judge is October/November Liam is preparing his team to have the fitness to kick on at that point. If we’re still playing like tonight in late October, we can start to judge and be more critical. I’m still seeing enough to be positive though tonight wasn’t good enough and immensely frustrating.

I trust in Liam and wait to be proved wrong.

Great post bramcote, we have to force mistakes and you don’t do that by keeping meaningless position. 

to win games you have to take risks and be brave.

26 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

I commented on another thread to say Knight playing right back is hampering us further forward and got derided for it. What if Knight was playing in a midfield three if him, Smith / Bird and Hourihane. If he was allowed to make runs into the box or hover round the edge of box like Bryson did. Knight could be picking up goals.

Instead he is stuck at right back. Rosenior needs to find a right back and allow Knight to play his actual role. Rosenior said that Delph played left back and Man City won the league. Yes they did but we are not Man City

I am not suggesting it will solve all the issues but it could be a start.

Find a right back and allow Knight to be a threat in games.

My overriding thought coming away from the game, what is Knight doing at right back when we need his energy in midfield. All of that passing has to have an end product. We lack a cutting edge for sure. I think we need to be somewhere in between our passing game and their more direct approach. We edged it but no complaints with a draw.

The melt down from some on here is a touch ridiculous. 4 games in, 7th place, opportunity to get more points on the board on Saturday. We are where we would want to be at this stage, we can improve, so you be around the playoffs with more in the tank is a strong position.

I do think we need to be braver with our team selection and take more risks to commit men forward. With the ability in our squad we have shown that we can dominate possession but the balance of our side and need to get players in advanced positions centrally around Collins has to be explored. McGoldrick, Dobbin and Sibley could all give us a better link between midfield and attack, I want us to gamble a bit more and be more aggressive in attack. Collins will improve with better service and people to capitalise on his press etc. 

I'm optimistic, we will always have another opportunity to pick up 3 points, the games come thick and fast!!

Just back, frustrating especially second half and it felt a little like Charlton, awaiting the sucker punch which nearly came in injury time, but thankfully they were as bad as we were at shooting.  Thought they defended well, but we just seemed to lack that bit of invention to open them up. Their fans really got behind their team (I was sat amongst them with quite a few other Derby fans) and apart from the actual football match I enjoyed the trip.

If you think people are negative on here,  look at Facebook comments where half the people want LR sacked 

Not inspiring today but we created enough chances to win by the odd goal. 

The midfield isn't right yet and we will probably have to wait for Knight to find that balance. 

5 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

75% Possession and 4 shots on target tell you everything you need to know.
it’s been the same for 2 seasons. You can pass it around in your own calf as much as you like, but it won’t win you games and it’s so bloody boring!! 

I actually used the phrase boring tonight. I think it was after we had possession for 90 seconds and then ended up back where we started with our keeper. There has to be more end product and moving the ball quicker. Not too disappointed with a point though. We are still playing catch up from preseason ?

1 hour ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I think for me the worry isn't the players or the time they will take to gel. It's the way they're being asked to play. A lot of the frustrating things from the last few years are very evident in this newly assembled squad already. 

The insistence on playing out from the back, the daft goal kick, allowing teams to reshape before we go on the attack, only taking risks in our own half, playing without midfield runners leading to an isolated front man, conservativism in our play right to the last minute...to name just a few.

I'll back the team and I wish Liam all the luck in the world, but I hope this isn't the plan. 

Couldnt agree more

ill back rosenior and the lads .. goes without saying but for me its cocu ball and it doesnt work in england 

Before anyone starts its not pep football as that involves a hard high press. 

its cocu ball, frank de boer ball and the best most very recent example of it eric ten haag ball… and we all know how thats going.

The dutch philosophy of football thats exercised by the big two over there in a league thats basically scotland doesnt carry over here. 

i get why we’re doing it in that if we want to be attractive to other clubs to loan us players then if we’re playing good football then we have more chance of landing them.

and if we can nurture

good Young player who can play good football theyll carry a greater sell on 

but that doesnt make it effective football.

i hope we succeed with it more than anything, nothing would give me greater pride and pleasure and i applaude liam for trying and if we do ill more than happily say im wrong. 

i just dont think it works in england and believe the evidence is overhwelming

1 hour ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I think for me the worry isn't the players or the time they will take to gel. It's the way they're being asked to play. A lot of the frustrating things from the last few years are very evident in this newly assembled squad already. 

The insistence on playing out from the back, the daft goal kick, allowing teams to reshape before we go on the attack, only taking risks in our own half, playing without midfield runners leading to an isolated front man, conservativism in our play right to the last minute...to name just a few.

I'll back the team and I wish Liam all the luck in the world, but I hope this isn't the plan. 

Not getting bodies into the box was a hallmark of the cocu era

rooney to his credit rectified that