Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Most of the line-up picks itself, but I just hope either Sibley or McGoldrick starts instead of Smith. We need either of them if are going to create, otherwise we are just expecting miracle from NML.

Rooney started this lack of experience narrative as a reason why we struggled in away games last season. IMO the key was that we didn't create enough scoring opportunitites and it has quite a little to do with the experience. Or should I say, experience is not among the key factors for it. Hopefully, Rosenior realizes this quickly and acknowledge it's way too simplified reasoning and more of an excuse than reason. 

Overcautious approach with our starting lineup is crime against football and something I'd expect Rooney to do. As most of the players are good Championship standard, let's hope Rosenior starts to be his own man sooner rather than later. 

Good points. A few of our youngsters have far more appearances in the last 2 or 3 seasons than some of the signings who had become bit part players. 

Lazy narrative from the Wazzster.... 

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I thought Roberts was good defensively on Saturday and made 2 key interceptions where his speed and balance where quite key and he has a good reading of the game for a young defender and  looks a better out and out defender than Forsyth who doesn't get tight enough imo. 

Forsyth is better going forward and can put in some good crosses and has the ability in the air but to me I'd go for Roberts again who looks like a player who as the games go on this season, will get better and better just like Tomori when he was on loan here. 

Thing is Roberts is better at the job we need him to do. He's better at being involved in the build up play and working the ball around in deep. 

Yes it sometimes went wrong for him against Oxford but part of that is the midfield wasn't functional with Oxford feeling like they could ignore the two 8s. And like nearly everyone it clicked for him once Sibley came and the midfield had a better balance. 

On the flip side we have plenty of evidence that you really wouldn't want fozzy playing that kind of role.

On 05/08/2022 at 10:58, Ambitious said:

Do any of us know much about Charlton?

• Founded in 1905, and named after the actor, Charlton Heston.
  • Their nickname is "The Addicks".  Not "Addicts", nor "Haddocks".
  • Ike & Tina's grandfather, Bert Turner, scored for both teams (Doh!), as they became the first side to lose an FA Cup Final (a.e.t.) this side of WW2.  This got them so riled, they went back the following year... and won!... a.e.t!  So that shows determination, if nowt else.  Have a like, Charlton. ?
  • They play their home games at "The Valley", which they always have done... apart from the numerous times when they played their home matches elsewhere.
  • The Valley once had a capacity... and a full house to match (v Villa in t'cup, late 30's)... of 75,000.
  • The former East Stand terrace was officially "Bleedin' Massive"... a fact that I can vouch for personally, as I have stood on there, albeit everything was crumbling around me by that stage (Late 70's).  (After I had paid at the gate, I had the option of unreserved seating behind the goal, or terracing... I chose to mix it up a bit, and do both)!  How cool is that!
  • Their seats are more red than pink, so credit for that.
  • Rodney Trotter is named after the club ("Alright, Dave"!)
  • Where as Citizen Smith wasn't REALLY a Fulham fan, that bloke in Brush Strokes REALLY was a Charlton fan!   
  • The club is related to Crystal Palace by marriage.
  • They're a bit meh, but mean no harm, so they'll do for me.
  • Hope they lose today, mind!

*Of the above itemised facts, some are more factual than others.

That's a fair enough team selection tbh, could have had Sibley in but as long as he's utilised properly off the bench I'm fine with Smith starting. 

Other than that it wasn't really much up for debate, think when Mcgoldrick and Chester are fit it will be interesting to see the team then. I think Chester starts and Mcgoldrick will rotate with Collins and maybe take his place if Collins doesn't play well next few. 

3 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

That's a fair enough team selection tbh, could have had Sibley in but as long as he's utilised properly off the bench I'm fine with Smith starting. 

Other than that it wasn't really much up for debate, think when Mcgoldrick and Chester are fit it will be interesting to see the team then. I think Chester starts and Mcgoldrick will rotate with Collins and maybe take his place if Collins doesn't play well next few. 

Can’t see McGoldrick as a lone striker…

Have a gr8 day , all who have travelled , gonna be trying for Shrewsbury and Fleetwood tickets to get my away tour underway , thinking 1-0 gritty away win today , Bootsy Collins netting the winner , intrigued by Dobbin and loving Rosey so far , COYRs