Matchday Thread - Charlton Athletic v Derby County (06/08 15:00)

Sean

40 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

He was down my side second half so was noticing him misplace passes a fair bit.

Thought he was decent - the worst culprit for misplacing passes was Davies, particularly in the first half.

I thought Roberts looked a player. Very organised and efficient. Yes, you could tell he’s first and foremost a defender and won’t be an attacking force but that’s no bad thing now we have proper wide players.

Plenty of players hit misplaced passes against Oxford as the team looked a bit rusty and unsure of new teammates’ runs.

Forsyth and Stearman are excellent subs to bring on. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roberts ends up at CH for us though.

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

He was down my side second half so was noticing him misplace passes a fair bit.

Are Charlton still long ball merchants (like under Bowyer)? Fozzy height could be useful in that case too.

Comments on the Charlton forum

• If Derby come and try and out football us and try and win, we will probably win.  If they come for a point and s******** us they will probably get all 3.
  • Think we'll play some nice stuff in the first half again but lose our way and ultimately lack the edge required to get anything from the game. 
  • Just hope we don't have too much negativity in the crowd towards the passing game and slow build up 

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Any stats showing passes intercepted by the opposition in dangerous areas?

I love Davies but that doesn't blind me to when he has an indifferent game.

Yes I think we remember the 15% because they put us under a bit of pressure. Just one of those things. If he was a cultured footballer and a warrior he wouldn’t be playing for us.

I love Davies’ bookings. Not one is wasted. Wooomph!

2 hours ago, Boss said:

What pubs is everyone going to earlier in the day?

I dont know where I will end up yet Boss, but I think the general consensus is that there are a lot of decent pubs around Borough Market area (London Bridge Station) with a good train link to the ground afterwards. I think there are some suggestions higher up this thread, or they may be in the Charlton Away thread, although knowing this forum they could be in the Nathan Byrne is going to FC Charlotte thread. I think this is @Carl Saganterritory so perhaps he can confirm. Hopefully might meet Carl myself to talk about the cosmos.

Do any of us know much about Charlton? Who are their best players and who should we be looking out for, honestly I haven't seen them play since they had Aribo and was desperate for us to sign him. 

I know they have Jayden Stockley upfront who was often brought off the bench for Preston so they had someone to lump it up towards. Scott Fraser, I remember from Radio Derby, being a Burton player (no idea if he's any good). Chuks Aneke was supposed to be a highly touted prospect at once upon of time & Steven Sessegnon, brother of Ryan, was the same but seemingly lost his way. 

They were mid-table last season, but do seem to have aspirations of top 6. I'd imagine this is going to be a similar challenge to Oxford. Although, I do suspect the latter are the better of the two teams. 

At home, they've got to fancy their chances of getting something against a Derby team still trying to find their rhythm. I think a point would be a good result at this stage of the season, with emphasis on the performance, but a win and a good performance would be huge. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Do any of us know much about Charlton? Who are their best players and who should we be looking out for, honestly I haven't seen them play since they had Aribo and was desperate for us to sign him. 

I know they have Jayden Stockley upfront who was often brought off the bench for Preston so they had someone to lump it up towards. Scott Fraser, I remember from Radio Derby, being a Burton player (no idea if he's any good). Chuks Aneke was supposed to be a highly touted prospect at once upon of time & Steven Sessegnon, brother of Ryan, was the same but seemingly lost his way. 

They were mid-table last season, but do seem to have aspirations of top 6. I'd imagine this is going to be a similar challenge to Oxford. Although, I do suspect the latter are the better of the two teams. 

At home, they've got to fancy their chances of getting something against a Derby team still trying to find their rhythm. I think a point would be a good result at this stage of the season, with emphasis on the performance, but a win and a good performance would be huge. 

No idea but if any Charlton fans are reading the forum, feel free to give us a perspective.

LR said they play expansive passing football but beyond that I don't really know.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I think I've seen them last time when they had Alan Curbishley as a manager and Jonatan Johansson scoring goals...

So, I bow to your immense knowledge.

I feel stupidly ignorant but I think most people don't follow lower leagues than where their own team plays? Or is it just me?
I know people go to some local matches, but with those the division doesn't really matter.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Comments on the Charlton forum

• If Derby come and try and out football us and try and win, we will probably win.  If they come for a point and s******** us they will probably get all 3.

Going off their first game, this was Charlton's "zones of control" 

Blue = In Charlton's control >55%
Grey = Contested 45%-55%
Red = In Accrington's control, so <45% control

image.png.8c8d418eab30dbb58c790c3a4abf28a6.png

They lacked control of the ball in the central areas, which is where we win games. If Bird/Hourihane/Smith are able to get on the ball in the middle of the pitch, like Accrington's midfielders were able to, we'll win 

Charlton have a high PPDA (passes allowed per defensive action). Although high, they only forced 3 high turnovers, so I don't think they press well.
We typically used to struggle against teams who press high, however I think more recently we've had success against high pressing teams, the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, West Brom and Sheff Utd last season.

I think we'll be able to break their press easily and have a lot of success through the middle. (or I could be completely wrong and look stupid)

Edited by Jubbs

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I dont know where I will end up yet Boss, but I think the general consensus is that there are a lot of decent pubs around Borough Market area (London Bridge Station) with a good train link to the ground afterwards. I think there are some suggestions higher up this thread, or they may be in the Charlton Away thread, although knowing this forum they could be in the Nathan Byrne is going to FC Charlotte thread. I think this is @Carl Saganterritory so perhaps he can confirm. Hopefully might meet Carl myself to talk about the cosmos.

Don’t forget this one.

2572C0B6-3A36-4FBC-A591-E1A08FD1835E.gif

47 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Their Whoscored best player against Accrington was their 196cm giant of a CB who won 13 aerials.
Fraser (LCM), Leaburn (sub RW) and Jaiyesimi (RW) were their next best players.

Only two players I recognise from their team vs Accrington. Fraser, and Sessegnon. Sessegnon being one of their worst performers, so expect Mendez-Laing to have a lot of fun down that side.

For a side who claim to be a possession based side, their passing is pretty poor. Only 3 players achieved greater than 80% success rate (two of those were on the field for a combined 16 minutes), whilst 6 had lower than 65%.
For comparison, we had 6 players above 80% (5 played the full game and Smith 60 mins), whilst only Roberts was below 70%.