Matchday Thread v Hertha Berlin (H) 16th July 16:00

ollycutts1982

1 hour ago, chezzyram said:

I thought Sibley and Stretton were tidy and linked up well together in the limited time they were on the pitch. Stretton did OK, admittedly not world beating but then I'm not sure what you expect from our 3rd choice cf. Sometimes it's fine to take a game at face value and say a player did OK, even if it doesn't fit your ongoing narrative. If you haven't got a thing about Sibley or Stretton, why do you repeatedly single them out? 

Well,  they both had chances to secure a spot & impact made by Plange here ! Thats an obvious local comparison to back up my views. Give them a loan to sharpen up !

Edited by Magicman

Watched on Rams Player and I think we were good value for the win.  A few thoughts - 

First & foremost.  We have to do whatever we can to keep Max Bird.  Coventry can gladly have Sibley, Leeds can take Knight, but we have to hold onto Bird.  Him, Hourihane, and Smith/Thompson can boss it for us this season.  He’s matured so much the past 18 months. Captain for me once Davis hangs up his boots.

McGoldrick looks like a fitter, faster CKR.  I can see why United fans praise him so much.

Hourihane, Chester & Roberts look very astute signings.

Wildsmith is going to take years off my life, playing out from the back.

Cashin & Thompson look like they’re hungry to kick on from last season.

NML showed more flashes of what he’s going to offer.  

Overall, everyone put in a good shift, in what was difficult conditions.

Can’t wait for Oxford 

Great Job GIF

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Walked in to Pride Park today and welled up. Strange how the fear of losing something that has been a constant in your life affects you. Happy to be back & impressed with the team & love the retro strip. 

20B58EBA-66FA-4E7A-84F5-FF3AE69B6B14.jpeg

Whilst I appreciate your own feelings regards the recent turmoil.

Am I the only one who didn’t expect Derby to disappear from the league?  The current owner is the reason why it wouldn’t have happened, and I believe there would have been others who would have combined to save us going into oblivion.  It was always going to go to the wire, Mike Ashley would have got us if the poo had really hit the fan, we might have been hit with point deductions but we’d still have survived.

But, I can understand that some may not have had the same view and can see how it can effect them.

2 hours ago, Miggins said:

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed that morning in Greggs at PP!

DC had bought the club the day before and we were safe!

I sat outside Greggs with my sandwich and coffee and just soaked in all that I could see around me and was so grateful that it was still ours and hopefully for generations to come. ❤️

Miggins...it's the simple things in life that make life great, Breath the air in and hold it there just for a few seconds...that's Derby, All the riches in the world wouldn't make me happy, Having a football club to support has...it's hard to explain, We'll all have reasons as to why DCFC mean so much to us...it just does ? 

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

A few random thoughts, having been to the game… 

Hourihane and McGoldrick look like proper, proper footballers. They should walk this league if we can keep them fit.  NML and Barkhuizen look like they’ll be useful but inconsistent, I think they’ll be frustrating, but will do enough to win a lot of games. Chester and Wildsmith both look good enough on the ball to play out from the back.  Roberts looks excellent - on that showing I’m more than happy for him to be our first choice left back all season.  Oduroh looks very raw - he was good going forward, but all over the place defensively. There’s definitely a player there, but I think he needs more time to develop.  Collins was very isolated at the start of the match, he barely touched the ball for half an hour. He started dropping deeper and getting more involved after that, but we probably need a careful think about how (and maybe when) we use him.  Bird just gets better and better. Both Stretton and Knight look like they’ve bulked up a bit over the summer.  There was a definite drop off in quality as subs came on and the experience levels in the team dropped, which is understandable of course, but it does highlight the lack of depth in places.

I think we definitely need a right back, a backup left back (presumably Fozzy) and another winger, and maybe a backup GK. But that aside, I’m pretty happy with how the squad is shaping up.

Nice summary. I had similar feelings but I think Colins will do better and really prosper. He isn’t going to get bullied that’s for sure and with McGoldrick and wingers providing I reckon he’ll score plenty. Bird really did command the base of midfield didn’t he ! NML reminds me a bit of Benty. There’s some pace and a lot of power to burn but the acceleration isn’t quite there, yet I can see a few opposition full backs running for the hills when he is in full flight. And he’s not afraid to shoot either.

It did drop off as the game went on and the subs arrived but great to see Cashin carry on where he left off and Tommo is as nimble and quick as before. Pleased for Wildsmith, thought he did well and it will be hugely beneficial for him getting to know his CB’s before it all starts. His long kicks actually found a white shirt which is encouraging. 

To be honest I was struggling due to new faces and new shirt numbers - it got flipping confusing with No3 and No2 playing up front and for crying out loud give Curtis his 33 back ! 

Not holding promotion party yet but it looked very promising, we didn’t look like strangers, there were some cracking passages of slick play with aggressive intent. Bodes well.

Loved it today, it definitely felt a little emotional to back at PP, didn’t always think that we would have a team to watch there. It’s great that all the fans could concentrate on the game without the worry, fear and anger of last year.

Decent performance, quite pleased with the fullbacks and mcgoldrick looked great, real cut above.

quite positive for the season after today. 

COYR

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

He speaks so well. Get the distinct impression that at some point this season Blackpool will end up kicking themselves.

I have nothing against Wayne, but the main reason why I didn’t overly mind him leaving was that you get the sense that we’ve managed to retain the brains of the operation in Liam.