Matchday Thread v Hertha Berlin (H) 16th July 16:00

ollycutts1982

6 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

McGoldrick was ? in the first half 

Yes he was the stand-out player. Very clever and brings other players into the game and is a presence even when he hasn’t got the ball he occupied the defenders. Hourihane too was like quicksilver playing “liquid football” all around the park with a wand of a left foot. Collins looked ring rusty. Max Bird looked superb and his long-range passing, arrowing down the flanks with seamstress’s precision. Knight and Thompson have both beefed up and Thompson danced his opponent into submission with clever turns and quick feet.

Pride Park pitch was lush, flat and even, with the ball moving over the surface with speed and even bounce. 

No. 1 new keeper kept out a certain goal 2nd half and Scott Loach got a Vg reception when he came on. 

A hot day, several pleasing Brunswick beers, liquid football at Pride Park and a 1-0 win for the Rams. If Carlsburg did Saturdays…

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

Whilst I appreciate your own feelings regards the recent turmoil.

Am I the only one who didn’t expect Derby to disappear from the league?  The current owner is the reason why it wouldn’t have happened, and I believe there would have been others who would have combined to save us going into oblivion.  It was always going to go to the wire, Mike Ashley would have got us if the poo had really hit the fan, we might have been hit with point deductions but we’d still have survived.

But, I can understand that some may not have had the same view and can see how it can effect them.

You heartless cold fish @Boycie; no wonder your girlfriend is always seeking comfort round my house ? 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

It’s more of a chaise longue ?

You do realise the difference between a chaise longue and a long chase?

*visions of Ellafella chasing Boycie's missus around the sofa with Benny Hill music playing*

Edited by Ewetube
Premature posting x

10 hours ago, Boycie said:

Whilst I appreciate your own feelings regards the recent turmoil.

Am I the only one who didn’t expect Derby to disappear from the league?  The current owner is the reason why it wouldn’t have happened, and I believe there would have been others who would have combined to save us going into oblivion.  It was always going to go to the wire, Mike Ashley would have got us if the poo had really hit the fan, we might have been hit with point deductions but we’d still have survived.

But, I can understand that some may not have had the same view and can see how it can effect them.

A bit of both. I didn't expect Derby to go under, although the longer it wore on the harder it got to get a decent commercial offer. If we couldn't get a third party buyer, I always expected a local benefactor to step up, just like the league of Gentlemen did after 3 Amigos. 

But the very prospect of us going under (however remote) was scary. And yes going to PPS (just to the ticket office not even the game yesterday) did get a bt emotional for me too.  

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Yes he was the stand-out player. Very clever and brings other players into the game and is a presence even when he hasn’t got the ball he occupied the defenders. Hourihane too was like quicksilver playing “liquid football” all around the park with a wand of a left foot. Collins looked ring rusty. Max Bird looked superb and his long-range passing, arrowing down the flanks with seamstress’s precision. Knight and Thompson have both beefed up and Thompson danced his opponent into submission with clever turns and quick feet.

Pride Park pitch was lush, flat and even, with the ball moving over the surface with speed and even bounce. 

No. 1 new keeper kept out a certain goal 2nd half and Scott Loach got a Vg reception when he came on. 

A hot day, several pleasing Brunswick beers, liquid football at Pride Park and a 1-0 win for the Rams. If Carlsburg did Saturdays…

Loved your “fluid football description” ?

What I enjoyed particularly was every member of the team was looking for space and opportunities when we had the ball. Runs in to space, making themselves “available” and at throw ins the little last minute darting run so the thrower had a fee moving target to aim for. They looked like they wanted to create and work together. Liam said “we want to play with pace and with wide players” You could see that yesterday and it excites me. Can’t wait for the opening day. 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

Loved your “fluid football description” ?

What I enjoyed particularly was every member of the team was looking for space and opportunities when we had the ball. Runs in to space, making themselves “available” and at throw ins the little last minute darting run so the thrower had a fee moving target to aim for. They looked like they wanted to create and work together. Liam said “we want to play with pace and with wide players” You could see that yesterday and it excites me. Can’t wait for the opening day. 

Just 1 match I know so not a lot of evidence to go on and a friendly on a hot day, BUT you can already see a discernible difference from Rooneyball. The speed of moving the ball on the deck to feet was impressive and a clear pattern to either move to the winger or play the ball behind for the winger to run on to. 

48 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The constant and tedious puns that surface every time he who shall not be named is mentioned have the same effect on me.

You’re welcome.

We haven't even started on Knight, Bird etc.

We really miss Conor Sammon though!

P S We bow out, not with a bang, but with a wimple!

No need to ex-postulate!

Edited by Brammie Steve

It was only the first viewing of the new signings, but no-one (on the pitch) disappointed me.

I was particularly impressed with Haydon Roberts, who looked good on the ball and completely unflustered by the opposition trying to attack down his flank. I don't see him bursting past the opposition FB at pace, but he's going to allow our other wide players to play with confidence in front of him. All the other newbies showed enough to suggest that they could be astute signings. McGoldrick and Hourihane in particular did some clever stuff. 

As others have noted though, Max Bird was superb. What a player he's become. I just hope that we can hang on to him. Him and Korey Smith should be some partnership. 

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Do all folk from Derby speak shyte?  I keep reading how Liam speaks well or nicely, but it seems quite normal to me. Notwithstanding my own opinion, I am asking for a friend.

'Speaks well' is a bit vague, I guess. 

I thought he came across as especially articulate and he seemed comfortable and confident speaking in front of the camera. He seems to be an excellent communicator and he expressed his knowledge of the game, his plans and his opinions clearly and in an enthusiastic and engaging manner.

OMG!!   Sounds like a flippin' school report!!!   ?

Ah well. Once a teacher...?

I think I'll just stick to 'speaks well'. X

Edited by Miggins