Graeme Shinnie

Fraser_23

29 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We have players in his position. He would add depth but not improve on what we have. Not a position we should be focusing on.

Yeah, we do have players in his position at the moment but I'd be very surprised if the whole trio of Bielik-Bird-Knight are still here when the season starts.

We might need a new midfielder but I'm not sure is Shinnie the answer.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

We have players in his position. He would add depth but not improve on what we have. Not a position we should be focusing on.

You are missing the point. You asked:

"I don't understand our obsession with bringing back old players. He was decent here, but it's time to move forward. "

That was what I was answering.

Not as crazy as it sounds. Should be a good fit for L1 in terms of style, is a known quantity to Wazza and vice versa. 

I'd imagine Bird sold and Bielik sold/loaned out/injured leaving just Thompson and a few unorthodox players to cover the role.

Unless Wazza can uncover someone younger for peanuts Shinnie definitely fills a need for me

5 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Do think people are proper daft when they write off bringing back former players, particularly when a lot of them are of a decent Championship standard and (if you hadn’t noticed) we’re in League 1.

Don’t see us as a club in a position to turn our nose up at any signing but I do think we’re fairly stacked in midfield as of right now though.

There isn't a straight line between decent in the Championship and good in League One though.  Different leagues and different situations suit different players. 

People get carried away by someone working hard, running around a lot and snapping into a tackle now and then but it's nearly always better to control the midfield, be pro active rather than reactive.

If the opposition bypass the midfield and go long (as is considered traditional league one fare) what use is Shinnie? He's not physically dominant, positionally astute and won't win any defensive headers. If we want to control the midfield... what's his role? He slows play down too much because it takes him 3-4 touches to turn himself atound from controlling it to playing a forward pass. 

I just don't see how he fits in. 

Edited by Coconut's Beard

On 01/06/2022 at 14:00, Wignall12 said:

Shilton not great ? ........go and wash your mouth out with soap

On 01/06/2022 at 14:54, mwram1973 said:

And Bobby davison!!!, the mans on drugs 

I think you both missed his point. He was on about bringing them back now!! Not as they were in the 80s ??

6 hours ago, Boycie said:
On 01/06/2022 at 08:42, Anag Ram said:

Was that last bit an impression of his dogs?

Yes, just following in the fine tradition of this forum. Luckily there wasn’t a fest to follow it.

Who let the Dogs out ?

On 02/06/2022 at 11:24, Andicis said:

Most of them are getting on and probably want more money than the average league one player. That's the kind of recruitment that got us here, if you hadn't noticed. 

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting we break the bank to bring anyone back but if they’re willing to take the wages on offer here (likely below their market value) to come back to Derby and play for Rooney, that’s a good thing.

Might be wrong but no one’ seems to be asking for us to get Chris Martin/Tom Ince in on 20kpw.

I think the basics don’t change - will we play them - are they good enough - can we afford them - if so then it’s a managers choice and at least that bit starts getting interesting - I am very interested in which centre forwards Rooney wants and which ones he can bring in because we simply don’t have any coming through our junior ranks as we had to sell them to survive 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I think the basics don’t change - will we play them - are they good enough - can we afford them - if so then it’s a managers choice and at least that bit starts getting interesting - I am very interested in which centre forwards Rooney wants and which ones he can bring in because we simply don’t have any coming through our junior ranks as we had to sell them to survive 

I wouldn't write off Jack Stretton just yet. Had a pretty impressive strike rate in the academy prior to a string of niggling injuries and may yet come good. He looks a proper sniper to my eye. Also Cybulski could be handy too, especially if he can fill out his massive frame. Could still be a handful. Do agree though that strikers should be the top priority as things stand.

On 01/06/2022 at 08:16, Boycie said:

He and his dogs loved walking around the belper countryside.

but, I think he won’t be back.

Grrrrr.

Interestingly, he hasn't sold his Belper house, he's rented it out.

Unless he's building his property portfolio, you'd have thought he would have sold it.

#unfinishedbusiness

9 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Unless he's building his property portfolio, you'd have thought he would have sold it.

#unfinishedbusiness

Belper is hot property at the moment though, so a sound investment,  but I’ve heard prices are falling now?

10 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

#unfinishedbusiness

I thought that house was a "club owned " house . Interestingly there were two cars parked in the drive today ... maybe a new signing or maybe just cleaners or estate agents ???  

8 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

I thought that house was a "club owned " house . Interestingly there were two cars parked in the drive today ... maybe a new signing or maybe just cleaners or estate agents ???  

I suspect any 250- 400 k club houses would be long flogged once empty.  I know they used to own some in Oakwood.  Deon Burton used to live in a club house in Boulton Moor next to my mate.  Nice bloke apparently till he started going out with Mel B's sister who was a right noisy pain in the arse.  Another mate lived next door to Marcus Olsen off Duffield Road.  Landlord wasn't chuffed when he left as there  were scorch marks everywhere from lighting candles ??.  They also used to replace ovens every couple of months instead of cleaning them ??.  We really paid players too much money ? 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I suspect any 250- 400 k club houses would be long flogged once empty.  I know they used to own some in Oakwood.  Deon Burton used to live in a club house in Boulton Moor next to my mate.  Nice bloke apparently till he started going out with Mel B's sister who was a right noisy pain in the arse.  Another mate lived next door to Marcus Olsen off Duffield Road.  Landlord wasn't chuffed when he left as there  were scorch marks everywhere from lighting candles ??.  They also used to replace ovens every couple of months instead of cleaning them ??.  We really paid players too much money ? 

Cleaning ovens! Is that a thing?

• 6 months later...

Taken from a screenshot doing the rounds on Twitter of the Alan Nixon “article” about Curtis Nelson, the last paragraph says;

“Graeme Shinnie could also make a return to Derby a year after a fire sale move. The midfielder is out of favour at Wigan and available”

It’s a wafer, wafer thin link that definitely seems more speculative than concrete (probably joined the same dots certain fans have after he was in the crowd at Bolton), it is however from a national sports “journalist” and can be seen with thy own eyes if you wanted to pay for his patreon or do a little search on Twitter. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Taken from a screenshot doing the rounds on Twitter of the Alan Nixon “article” about Curtis Nelson, the last paragraph says;

“Graeme Shinnie could also make a return to Derby a year after a fire sale move. The midfielder is out of favour at Wigan and available”

It’s a wafer, wafer thin link that definitely seems more speculative than concrete (probably joined the same dots certain fans have after he was in the crowd at Bolton), it is however from a national sports “journalist” and can be seen with thy own eyes if you wanted to pay for his patreon or do a little search on Twitter. 

We don’t need a midfielder like him, get a right back in and then that will be Smith’s job if required…