Graeme Shinnie

Fraser_23

38 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Taken from a screenshot doing the rounds on Twitter of the Alan Nixon “article” about Curtis Nelson, the last paragraph says;

“Graeme Shinnie could also make a return to Derby a year after a fire sale move. The midfielder is out of favour at Wigan and available”

It’s a wafer, wafer thin link that definitely seems more speculative than concrete (probably joined the same dots certain fans have after he was in the crowd at Bolton), it is however from a national sports “journalist” and can be seen with thy own eyes if you wanted to pay for his patreon or do a little search on Twitter. 

So hope not. Was really pleased when he left as he was so limited compared with our other midfielders. I would put him behind Bielik, Sibley, Knight, Smith, Bird and Hourihane in our pecking order, possibly competing with Thommo.

Will always have my respect for how he lead the battle and fight last season against all odds. However, I really can’t see the thinking in bringing him back. 

The only circumstance I wouldn’t mind seeing his return is if we let Knight go. That’s not me saying Shinnie is anywhere near Knight’s level but for a short term box to box roll with experience it makes sense. 

Hopefully it’s just Nixon playing fantasy football. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

So hope not. Was really pleased when he left as he was so limited compared with our other midfielders. I would put him behind Bielik, Sibley, Knight, Smith, Bird and Hourihane in our pecking order, possibly competing with Thommo.

Not so sure myself. Not a polished diamond but tidy enough and had real bite. Never got bullied. We need other positions first that’s true, but in certain games against the more crude opposition he’d be a real asset.

42 minutes ago, jono said:

Not so sure myself. Not a polished diamond but tidy enough and had real bite. Never got bullied. We need other positions first that’s true, but in certain games against the more crude opposition he’d be a real asset.

Strikes me as the kind of player Warne would like and will be more suited to a L1 Paul Warne team than a championship team trying to play technical football.

But he's not getting younger, and isn't a wing-back.

16 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

+Disagree with most on here, i'd have him back  in a shot - he would certainly

solve that steel situation in midfield.

As for his age - he's 31 so another 3 yrs at least

perhaps not if we are getting Bielik back  but .............

Imo I saw shinnie as tenacious bundle of energy
At 31-34 theres fitter more athletic players at all levels in the football pyramid we could get in the summer money or no money that would fit a warne way of playing

Edited by NottsRam77

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would be a very minor upgrade on Thompson as back up for Bird in my view. If we were to sign him, it would strike me as very opportunistic and lacking a great deal of thought behind it. Signing a player because he’s one of the few we can get under our embargo, rather than actually being something we need.

Lol.

I personally would much prefer to see Shinnie as an option from the bench than Thompson who for me could do with a loan.

Bird Knight Hourihane Smith & Shinnie is a quality set of CMs at this level. Mixture of experience & youth, energy & ball players...we need to get the balance right in there.

It’s quite funny to me that we’ve spent half a season debating whether Bird and Hourihane are a midfield pair then once we are linked with a different type of midfielder, one who was more than dependable to us in a higher league, then people feel the need to think we are above a player like that?

To me it fully depends what Warne wants to do with Smith, who has quietly been one of our better players so far, and Sibley because if he wants to move them further up the pitch then full backs would need to be a priority (and Shinnie can play LB which is useful but not really a permanent fix I guess). If we are keeping them as fullbacks and if Thompson gets a loan then I think we certainly have room for Shinnie and would be pretty happy to see him back to be honest.

Assuming Bielik is off on his world tour, I'd have Shinnie back in a heartbeat. Folk have very short memories. Many thought he was POTY in his last season and had Curtis not been playing absolutely out of his skin, he might have been. We still get bullied from time to time and Shinnie does not lie down for anyone. Teak tough and better technically than some give him credit for, it's a yes from me.