Graeme Shinnie

Fraser_23

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Maybe he was scouted by someone with a surname of Morris? 
I’m just spit balling here.

Not expensive enough for Mel.  Spending 5 million quid on a player Middlesbrough sold Huddersfield for 200k or 5 million on a player Ipswich bought for 200k was more his bag.

Oh you meant Jody,

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not expensive enough for Mel.  Spending 5 million quid on a player Middlesbrough sold Huddersfield for 200k or 5 million on a player Ipswich bought for 200k was more his bag.

Oh you meant Jody,

You forgot Blackman. The ultimate “I’ll back my manager” signing.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Never gave him a chance, sometimes a player needs an arm around the shoulder.

I was never convinced by him and many others were the same way and if he was any good you would seen and heard things from probley ex clubs now.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

I was never convinced by him and many others were the same way and if he was any good you would seen and heard things from probley ex clubs now.

Probably effected him for life playing for us with the big price tag.

Or, set him up for life with the big wages?

one or the other I think.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Probably effected him for life playing for us with the big price tag.

Or, set him up for life with the big wages?

one or the other I think.

When I think of Nick, it conjures up an image of Cliff Richards summer holiday packing his mates onto a bus for a tour round Europe.  I assume Anya was the driver.

Was class during his first season, all over the pitch winning the ball.

Legs started to go after.

Don’t get the clamour for him back. We’re already struggling to get Knight into the side, have two midfielders playing full-back and have Thompson on the bench. Then, this a subjective one, I thought Rooney looked at his best in midfield.

Don’t need him.

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Seems a tad harsh on a player who gave his all for the club, not to mention an odd thing to be 'celebrating'. 

Not odd at all.

We are massively restricted by what transfer activity we can do.

Signing Shinnie would have been an absolute waste, he's no better than any midfielder we have.

I'm happy to hear that there was never anything in it at all, 2+2 together ended up with 15, I would have been worried had we actually been in for him as that surely would have meant one of the midfielders we have would be leaving and us downgrading.

It's nothing personal against Shinnie, I'm pleased for him as well to get the move back to Aberdeen which is great for him. Hometown club, go back there and potentially retire up there.

So it's time to celebrate for all parties here.

2 hours ago, David said:

Not odd at all.

Signing Shinnie would have been an absolute waste, he's no better than any midfielder we have.

I'm happy to hear that there was never anything in it at all, 2+2 together ended up with 15, I would have been worried had we actually been in for him as that surely would have meant one of the midfielders we have would be leaving and us downgrading.

It's nothing personal against Shinnie, I'm pleased for him as well to get the move back to Aberdeen which is great for him. Hometown club, go back there and potentially retire up there.

Ignoring the celebration rationale, I'd agree that technically he's no better than the other mids already at the club, but he is different. To my eyes, we've improved dramatically since Knight returned and part of that improvement (just my opinion) is down to the freedom he allows other players. He's not a dog as such, but he is a disruptor with a high work rate which means that Hourihane in particular has looked a different player than of late. Shinnie, without having the same ceiling as Knight, is an absolute dog in midfield. The reason he is feted by the Dandies is not becuase he's 'better' than other players, it's becuase he is the ultimate team player and a nightmare to play against. In a league where the midfield battles can be fierce and refs rarely afford players the protection given to the pampered lot in the Prem, having another player who snaps in to tackles and refuses to be bullied certainly wouldn't have hurt our prospects. I concede, however, that there may be some sentimentality attached as well. Reports of him in tears when told the club could not renew his contract really struck a chord with me. For that alone, he will always have my respect as anyone who loves this club of ours the way we fans do, is alright with me. Just an opinion, mind and an irrelevant one now in any case. 

Best of luck to Graeme. He heads home with my sincerest thanks and utmost respect.

#Shinniesta

8 hours ago, David said:

Not odd at all.

I think he would been class signing and when at times we need a bit of steel shinnie would have added that.

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

If Warne wanted him, and we could afford him on a free transfer or no cost loan, we’d of or have had him.

Looking at his interview with Aberdeen, I don't actually think that would be the case. Like us with our summer signings, a lot joined due to proximity to their families. Shinnie has said his family has gone back to Inverness.

"The last 12 months have been frustrating both in terms of football and with my family moving back up to Inverness, so that’s been tough."

https://www.afc.co.uk/2023/01/05/very-exciting-to-be-back/

Let's be honest, last season he was late to the tackle, off the pace and had an above average game in every 7 or 8 matches.

He can't get in a poor Wigan team, he offers little on the ball and has no creativity. We don't need to be sat in the defensive shapes that suit his style. We need to be taking the game to the opposition, creating chances and winning games.

I'm happy he isn't coming back. I think he will struggle at Aberdeen too.

I like to think Warne has a plan. If that ever involved Shinnie I'd be worried.

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

Let's be honest, last season he was late to the tackle, off the pace and had an above average game in every 7 or 8 matches.

He can't get in a poor Wigan team, he offers little on the ball and has no creativity. We don't need to be sat in the defensive shapes that suit his style. We need to be taking the game to the opposition, creating chances and winning games.

I'm happy he isn't coming back. I think he will struggle at Aberdeen too.

I like to think Warne has a plan. If that ever involved Shinnie I'd be worried.

Exactly. I can barely remember the last time we conceded a goal and that’s with two very technical footballers in centre midfield. We don’t need to add a clogger (for want of a nicer term) when two players who offer plenty on the ball are also clogging quite well between them.

There are a couple of issues in the team. Midfield isn’t one of them anymore and Warne, Bird and Hourihane all deserve a lot of credit for that.