To those of you under 50, some good news

Bob The Badger

You’re going to be gutted this morning, and rightly so.

But it ain’t all bad.

When we dropped out of the old 2nd division into the 3rd in 1984 things were in many ways, worse.

We didn’t (quite) have the financial issues, but we had a horrible team and the entire season was utterly depressing and devoid of hope in a way this season hasn’t been.

My personal highlight of an utterly depressing season was meeting Dave Watson in a Little Chef on the A1 after we spanked Cambridge away 3-0 in the FA Cup. That was pretty much it for ducks sake.

AND we had not just relegation, but the ignominy of losing to Plymouth in the FA Cup quarter-final to contend with after we had dragged them back to the BBG.

We all thought that we’d bounce right back when we did get relegated and the arrival of Arthur Cox just emboldened that belief.

An opening day away loss to Bournemouth, when Bournemouth then were more like the equivalent of Exeter now, didn’t dissuade us.

Of course, we didn’t bounce back and ended up outside the top 6.

But we had some BRILLIANT away days that season, Hull, Lincoln, and the last game of the season at Newport spring to mind.

It was a whole lot more fun than the previous season because we were, for the most part, competing and you could see what Arthur was trying to do.

There’s something fun about going to smaller clubs and taking the place over. Those of you who travel to away games know that the camaraderie is special.

In fact, the adversity that we have faced this season has developed that camaraderie, only it’s done it at home.

I work online and use social media a lot and the admiration for Derby’s support, especially those of you who travel away is a delight to read. I’ve even read genuine Forest and Leeds fans say they’re impressed.

And what’s not to be impressed about?

Forget the trolls who are loving this, the REAL football supporters appreciate and understand what Rooney has dragged the club through and the guy is universally respected, exponentially more so than when he was merely an excellent player.

He’s now an excellent ex-player and an excellent human being. Time will tell if he can become an excellent manager, but the signs are promising.

The second year under Arthur we did come up and that season was even better for road trips..

I’ve seen Derby beat Benfica, Real Madrid, every top English club multiple times and Forest many times. But if I were to list the best 5 games I’ve ever attended, Derby at home to Rotherham in the old 3rd Division on a Friday night would be up there.

That game with that penalty that took us back up to what would now be the Championship was a raucous, intense and then delirious atmosphere ending in an effing celebration comparable with any I have witnessed - although to be fair, my memory is a tad blurry because we did hit the pub hard.

I doubt there was a Liverpool fan that got anything like the joy from beating Man City in the cup semi or will get more if they win the thing, than we Derby fans got from squeaking past Rotherham that night.

The fact is, winning is just fun, no matter what division you are in. And beating adversity is fun too. So much more satisfying and enjoyable than just delivering on what’s expected.

Somebody posted that they hope we're not that team that thinks they will bounce back up.

I don't really care if fans think that. It's totally irrelevant.

What is relevant is what WR thinks and what he allows his staff and players to think.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that he'll not allow that entitled type of mindset to creep in.

The good news is we have renewed hope for a stable club, a very promising manager in place, an Academy that is flourishing even if it is being pillaged and some wins to look forward to.

We are where we are, so we may as well embrace it and have fun. And you will have some fun, I promise.

10 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

But it ain’t all bad.

When we dropped out of the old 2nd division into the 3rd in 1984 things were in many ways, worse.

We didn’t (quite) have the financial issues, but we had a horrible team and the entire season was utterly depressing and devoid of hope in a way this season hasn’t been.

My personal highlight of an utterly depressing season was meeting Dave Watson in a Little Chef on the A1 after we spanked Cambridge away 3-0 in the FA Cup. That was pretty much it for ducks sake.

AND we had not just relegation, but the ignominy of losing to Plymouth in the FA Cup quarter-final to contend with after we had dragged them back to the BBG.

We all thought that we’d bounce right back when we did get relegated and the arrival of Arthur Cox just emboldened that belief.

An opening day away loss to Bournemouth, when Bournemouth then were more like the equivalent of Exeter now, didn’t dissuade us.

But we had some BRILLIANT away days that season, Hull, Lincoln, and the last game of the season at Newport spring to mind.

It was a whole lot more fun than the previous season because we were, for the most part, competing and you could see what Arthur was trying to do.

There’s something fun about going to smaller clubs and taking the place over. Those of you who travel to away games know that the camaraderie is special.

In fact, the adversity that we have faced this season has developed that camaraderie, only it’s done it at home.

I work online and use social media a lot and the admiration for Derby’s support, especially those of you who travel away is a delight to read. I’ve even read genuine Forest and Leeds fans say they’re impressed.

Forget the trolls who are loving this, the REAL football supporters appreciate and understand what Rooney has dragged the club through and the guy is universally respected, exponentially more so than when he was merely an excellent player.

He’s now an excellent ex-player and an excellent human being. Time will tell if he can become an excellent manager, but the signs are promising.

The second year under Arthur we did come up and that season was even better for road trips..

I’ve seen Derby beat Benfica, Real Madrid, every top English club multiple times and Forest many times. But if I were to list the best 5 games I’ve ever attended, Derby at home to Rotherham in the old 3rd Division on a Friday night would be up there.

That game with that penalty that took us back up to what would now be the Championship was a raucous, intense and then delirious atmosphere ending in an effing celebration comparable with any I have witnessed - although to be fair, my memory is a tad blurry because we did hit the pub hard.

I doubt there was a Liverpool fan that got anything like the joy from beating Man City in the cup semi or will get more if they win the thing, than we Derby fans got from squeaking past Rotherham that night.

The fact is, winning is just fun, no matter what division you are in. And beating adversity is fun too. So much more satisfying and enjoyable than just delivering on what’s expected.

Somebody posted that they hope we're not that team that thinks they will bounce back up.

What is relevant is what WR thinks and what he allows his staff and players to think.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that he'll not allow that entitled type of mindset to creep in.

The good news is we have renewed hope for a stable club, a very promising manager in place, an Academy that is flourishing even if it is being pillaged and some wins to look forward to.

We are where we are, so we may as well embrace it and have fun. And you will have some fun, I promise.

Post of the year as from one  who has watched since 1970 ???

Always felt this, even the home game against Newport County (they bought 37 fans) on Easter Monday (iirc) was a great one. Remember going to Darlington (the home fans changed ends at half time) and Phil Gee and Bobby scored. Plus, of course, those FA Cup Rounds one and two games, Hartlepool was a day to remember. Like others have said, footballing experiences like no other.

As a Gloucestershire based fan the silver lining will be Cheltenham and I hope Forest Green away

As a 10 year old I am sure I watched my Dad play against Forest green in the Hellenic league and my best mates little brother got a contract with Cheltenham before they were in the league proper

It is going to get personal

Great post Bob.

Going to the football doesn't stop being fun. In fact, it could be argued that it's more fun the further you get from the Premier League.

But I also commend you for thinking of the younger ones, who haven't seen the never ending cycle of seasons ("There's always next year"). It will be hard for them.

I mentioned on the "Not this club..." thread that if they want to put up defiant "we'll be back" messages, that's fine by me. We all need our way of coping, especially with the taunts of opposition fans.

I'm actually now looking forward to next season.

CK get the deal done.

CK + Rooney = exciting times ahead ?

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Great post Bob.

Going to the football doesn't stop being fun. In fact, it could be argued that it's more fun the further you get from the Premier League.

But I also commend you for thinking of the younger ones, who haven't seen the never ending cycle of seasons ("There's always next year"). It will be hard for them.

I mentioned on the "Not this club..." thread that if they want to put up defiant "we'll be back" messages, that's fine by me. We all need our way of coping, especially with the taunts of opposition fans.

I'm actually now looking forward to next season.

CK get the deal done.

CK + Rooney = exciting times ahead ?

Couldn't agree more; been following this club for some 48 years, so been through more than a few downs as well as the ups.

I'm really looking forward to a CK + WR partnership.  I said way back there was something about CK taking over that excited me - it still does. He's young. He's ambitious. He's passionate.  He's in touch with what it means to be a fan.  But he's also no fool.  If he can get the deal done I'm looking forward to another exciting chapter in our history. And I'm really keen to see what WR can do building a team of his own design.

We will "be back" as many state, but am old enough and wise enough to appreciate it may mean more than a year or two in L1 as we completely rebuild.  And it is a complete rebuild. Either way, I'll be along for the ride. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

But it ain’t all bad.

The Rotherham Friday night was great, Beating Everton and Chelsea in the league cup was great, Beating your Liverpools, Arsenals, Man Untds, Tottenhams, Leeds were great, Beating Real Madrid, Benfica was great, I've been there since 1966, Seen the glory and the heart ache, Tears on many occasion, Travelling away North, South, East and West was something that I savour, One of the sweetest moments among many many others...was beating the red dogs 4-1 when we were crap and 2-1 and only had 10 men, I'll be there Saturday with 1000s of others, Maybe a tear or 2 who knows, But one things for sure...I'm Derby Till I die ?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

But it ain’t all bad.

Great post.

Enjoy your grass and tofu pie at Forest Green ?

1 hour ago, Retro_RAM said:

I mean, i'd take a League One title over a mid-table Championship finish.

So would I but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It ain't going to be easy to get back up but, two things are for certain, I and many others will be there cheering them on at PP (can't wait for the day season tickets will be back on sale) and I'll be reaquainting myself with some grounds I've been to in the past plus hopefully some new ones.

35 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

I can go on about the late '50s and'60s of you want ?

Do you remember the Liverpool 2-0 game in the early 60's with Bill Curry and Mick Hopkinson scoring from what seemed about 50 yards and Curry's battle with Ron Yeats!.  Can still see those goals now, incredible atmosphere at the BBG.