To those of you under 50, some good news

Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, gfs1ram said:

Do you remember the Liverpool 2-0 game in the early 60's with Bill Curry and Mick Hopkinson scoring from what seemed about 50 yards and Curry's battle with Ron Yeats!.  Can still see those goals now, incredible atmosphere at the BBG. 

Loved Bill Curry all his shots seemed to be no higher than two inches off the floor, and Mick Hopkinson had really short shorts. Also Reggie Mathews knocking out Alex Dawson against PNE.

I was at university in Birmingham in 1984 and remember listening to the depressing commentary on Radio Derby of Derby playing Plymouth in the FA Cup Quarter Final replay (in the home leg Plymouth unluckily hit the right hand post and the ball went across the goal and hit the left post and came out), we lost that replay when Plymouth scored direct from a corner. With Derby needing every penny due to an imminent HMRC winding up order at the time, it really looked to me as though Derby would go out of existence which seemed shocking for a club that had won the league twice in the previous decade. Then the Maxwells came along and the rest is history, including a rapid ascent to Division 1, followed by demotion to Division 2 when it was found Maxwell's finances were found to be built on sand.

Feel somewhat relieved today that this season's struggle is finally over and we can look forward to rebuilding from League 1 as we did in 1984. However we have to be realistic about how fast we might return to the Championship when other large clubs such as Sunderland and Ipswich have struggled. Automatic promotion from League 1 this season is likely to be around 88 points, play-offs 82 points. Provided Rooney stays and there is no 15 point deduction, then I would be happy with a top-half finish next season bearing in mind he will have a large number of new players to have to train from scratch with only 5 players left in contract.

Assuming the CK and WR partnership goes ahead, I'll be looking at whether we improve the recruitment as too many of the players we signed in recent years for large fees (Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield are just two that come to my mind) have woefully underperformed at the club, most of the exciting talent has come from the Academy. It really hurts when I see good youth players leaving our club for peanuts due to what has happened and we have to start all over again.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

So would I but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It ain't going to be easy to get back up but, two things are for certain, I and many others will be there cheering them on at PP (can't wait for the day season tickets will be back on sale) and I'll be reaquainting myself with some grounds I've been to in the past plus hopefully some new ones.

Oh for sure, certainly not getting ahead of myself. It will be a hard season, League One can be just as difficult to get promoted from as the Championship.

That said, you see the occasional season where a team (like Fulham this season, Sheff Utd when they went to League One) just bosses the league, I'd love to have one of them seasons even if it is in League One.

1 hour ago, Retro_RAM said:

Oh for sure, certainly not getting ahead of myself. It will be a hard season, League One can be just as difficult to get promoted from as the Championship.

That said, you see the occasional season where a team (like Fulham this season, Sheff Utd when they went to League One) just bosses the league, I'd love to have one of them seasons even if it is in League One.

Fair point although Fulham are a bad example. We won’t have the luxury of a Premier League parachute payment or retaining players. 

Was it good under Arthur Cox then?

Just wondering because no one on here ever mentions it.

One thing I wish is that our fans, who already look down on some of the clubs in the Premier League, let alone League One clubs, won't be constantly giving it the biggun to Shrewsbury fans and the like about how big a club we are, as if other mid size clubs like Leeds, Sunderland, Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leicester and Forest haven't been in the third tier recently. It's the definition of tin-pot.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

One thing I wish is that our fans, who already look down on some of the clubs in the Premier League, let alone League One clubs, won't be constantly giving it the biggun to Shrewsbury fans and the like about how big a club we are, as if other mid size clubs like Leeds, Sunderland, Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leicester and Forest haven't been in the third tier recently. It's the definition of tin-pot.

Our fans look down on some premier league teams and league one?

Bit of a sweeping statement isn't it Joe?

9 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

That Newport game… getting collected at the station by double decker buses and rocking them back and forth ?

Remember it well. Loads in their end and towards the end of the game all the Newport got chased out. 
Same day as Bradford fire and trouble at Birmingham City v Leeds if I recall.

Some brilliant away days and like someone mentioned, the Rotherham game right up with my best nights watching the Rams.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

12 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

The team that stormed through the 2nd division (Championship) under Arthur was an utter delight.

I don't remember a Derby team who could hit the opposition on the break quite so quickly (although the Bald Eagles team were good at that). Stick Phil Gee on the half way line and thread a ball through to him and it was game over.

There were a number of highlights like winning at Ipswich (first time I thought it was going to happen) and clinching promotion by beating Leeds at home, but the #1 game for me was taking 9,000 to Bramall Lane and coming away with a 1-0 win courtesy of Mr Gee.

Sadly and on a personal note, I never got to meet Dave Watson in a Little Chef on the A1 that season, but other than that, it was brilliant.

19 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

Do you remember the Liverpool 2-0 game in the early 60's with Bill Curry and Mick Hopkinson scoring from what seemed about 50 yards and Curry's battle with Ron Yeats!.  Can still see those goals now, incredible atmosphere at the BBG. 

Brilliant day. Liverpool went on to win the Second Division. First time I ever saw trouble at Derby. The Scousers attacked the celebrating Rams fans on the pitch after the final whistle. Some things never change in life.

22 hours ago, Boycie said:

Inspiring post, makes a change to hear about the mid eighties period instead of all the Uncle Alberts going on about the early 70’s.

Now now Boycie, if it wasn't for the Uncle Alberts, many on here would never have been born to tell the future generations of the wonderful times we had under the Three Amigos, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell and Mel Morris.

23 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Great post Bob.

Going to the football doesn't stop being fun. In fact, it could be argued that it's more fun the further you get from the Premier League.

But I also commend you for thinking of the younger ones, who haven't seen the never ending cycle of seasons ("There's always next year"). It will be hard for them.

I mentioned on the "Not this club..." thread that if they want to put up defiant "we'll be back" messages, that's fine by me. We all need our way of coping, especially with the taunts of opposition fans.

I'm actually now looking forward to next season.

CK get the deal done.

CK + Rooney = exciting times ahead ?

I agree with this specially statement in bold. Same top 6 (even their own fans must be bored), same teams in europe and watching it is like a fifa game.

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Brilliant day. Liverpool went on to win the Second Division. First time I ever saw trouble at Derby. The Scousers attacked the celebrating Rams fans on the pitch after the final whistle. Some things never change in life.

Unfortunately I was only a nipper in the early 60s, Playing marbles in the gutter(no not on the roof)the Scousers were a snide lot, Known as the "Urchuins" had many a rumble in the jungle with them, Once they put knives in rubbish bins at the old bus station before a home game, Only to be out numbered with bricks and bottles, One of them ran over the weir on the Derwent, Then swam to the sand bank/island to escape.

Nasty lot especially at theirs and having to hand over a couple of quid so your car/bus still had their tyres inflated ?  

47 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Unfortunately I was only a nipper in the early 60s, Playing marbles in the gutter(no not on the roof)the Scousers were a snide lot, Known as the "Urchuins" had many a rumble in the jungle with them, Once they put knives in rubbish bins at the old bus station before a home game, Only to be out numbered with bricks and bottles, One of them ran over the weir on the Derwent, Then swam to the sand bank/island to escape.

Nasty lot especially at theirs and having to hand over a couple of quid so your car/bus still had their tyres inflated ?  

The Ramaway train pulled into Lime Street for games at Everton and Liverpool and we made our way by service bus to the grounds. Getting back safely to the station for the train was like playing cat and mouse because there was always a contingent of Scousers waiting for us. Somehow I always reached the platform unscathed. By 1974 we were travelling by car. The first time we parked up near Anfield, a scally, aged about 10, approached the driver asking, "10p to look after yer car Mister?", only to be told "It's okay there's a Rottweiller in the back", bringing the question "Can he put out fires Mister?", whereupon we paid up.

Of course we'd experienced much worse in the War but we thought we'd left all of that behind us:

Edited by Brailsford Ram

8 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The Ramaway train pulled into Lime Street for games at Everton and Liverpool and we made our way by service bus to the grounds. Getting back safely to the station for the train was like playing cat and mouse because there was always a contingent of Scousers waiting for us. Somehow I always reached the platform unscathed. By 1974 we were travelling by car. The first time we parked up near Anfield, a scally, aged about 10, approached the driver asking, "10p to look after yer car Mister?", only to be told "It's okay there's a Rottweiller in the back", bringing the question "Can he put out fires Mister?", whereupon we paid up.

Of course we'd experienced much worse in the War but we thought we'd left all of that behind us:

I only used the Ramaway a couple of times, Run by Ramaway Ernie...Neil Hallam's Father, Too many restrictions   we thought ?

Not accusing the Scousers of being the 1st to extort money this way, But it was a common practice back in the day, Always better to pay up but still thinking is your motor going to be ok ?

We need to put up an Uncle Albert thread ?, These young uns nowa days dont know they're born ?  

15 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I only used the Ramaway a couple of times, Run by Ramaway Ernie...Neil Hallam's Father, Too many restrictions   we thought ?

Not accusing the Scousers of being the 1st to extort money this way, But it was a common practice back in the day, Always better to pay up but still thinking is your motor going to be ok ?

We need to put up an Uncle Albert thread ?, These young uns nowa days dont know they're born ?  

I remember going to Liverpool in 1980 by coach. Not a fun experience because violence was close to its peak at that time. Learned later, a lad on our coach had his jaw broken when it kicked off walking back past Stanley Park.

Lost 3-0 with own goal from Keith Osgood.

Edited by IslandExile

6 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I loved the Ramaway. Before that we'd always used The Trent Bus coach for away games from the Morledge. The Ramaway was a great step up and much cheaper than the service trains. The only drawback was the London games because the Ramaway went straight back home after the match. My friends and I wanted an evening out in London but the Ramaway tickets weren't transferrable to the service trains. Anyway we used to turn up for the last train from St. Pancras and when the ticket collector came round we told them we'd missed the Ramaway home. They always let us off and not once did we have to pay the return fare. Happy days.

Ernie was a bit of a stickler but a legendary fan nevertheless and very proud of his son's place in the history of the Rams.