To those of you under 50, some good news

Bob The Badger

I think there may be similarities between what we face next season and what we faced in our 1st season under Arthur Cox

There were some 'stop gap' signings to plug holes who played a part but not in the long term - like Eric Steele, Charlie Palmer, Floyd Streete & then there were gradual signings that proved to be inspirational - Rob Hindmarch, Geraint Williams, Gary Micklewhite, John Gregory etc.

Those player signings were funded by having to sell an asset - in this case Kevin Wilson - which is what we may have to do this summer

One difference then is that there wasn't a transfer window, you could sign players at any time

Oh, & we had already had quite a successful little striker - Bobby Davison !! Please find another one of them

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

I think there may be similarities between what we face next season and what we faced in our 1st season under Arthur Cox

There were some 'stop gap' signings to plug holes who played a part but not in the long term - like Eric Steele, Charlie Palmer, Floyd Streete & then there were gradual signings that proved to be inspirational - Rob Hindmarch, Geraint Williams, Gary Micklewhite, John Gregory etc.

Those player signings were funded by having to sell an asset - in this case Kevin Wilson - which is what we may have to do this summer

One difference then is that there wasn't a transfer window, you could sign players at any time

Oh, & we had already had quite a successful little striker - Bobby Davison !! Please find another one of them

Do you remember Kevin Wilson being the top scorer in the division iirc and Arthur selling him and us thinking wtf???

I think he then used that money to buy Mickelwhite and Gregory. Inspired indeed.

57 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Do you remember Kevin Wilson being the top scorer in the division iirc and Arthur selling him and us thinking wtf???

I think he then used that money to buy Mickelwhite and Gregory. Inspired indeed.

I've looked it up. Apparently we sold Wilson to Ipswich for £150k in Jan 1985 and spent it on Gary Micklewhite and Trevor Christie.

John Gregory joined in the next season

im 48 and the 3rd division promotion straight through to the 1st division were amazing years- 3rd div was great fun as an 11 year old Rotheram promotion night was unbelievable as was the sheff utd away day in the 2nd division...good times and now looking forward to winning a few games and taking some 80s food stuffs into grounds to remince about old times...crack open the volouvants and savoury pankakes....

2 hours ago, LN747 said:

im 48 and the 3rd division promotion straight through to the 1st division were amazing years- 3rd div was great fun as an 11 year old Rotheram promotion night was unbelievable as was the sheff utd away day in the 2nd division...good times and now looking forward to winning a few games and taking some 80s food stuffs into grounds to remince about old times...crack open the volouvants and savoury pankakes....

I hope Rotherham get promoted, When visiting Mill moor at HT I asked for a Pie, Pie was put in a bag money exchanged and off back to my seat, Hand in the bag, Pie in hand and bite into it...WTF is this I said to my mate, Snot running down my chin, It was a god damn hot pork pie, Straight back to the kiosk and told him he'd given me a hot pork pie, Yes he said that's how we like them up here.

So I had an Aztec Bar instead ?