Blackburn Away Match Thread

36 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Good first half deserved the lead and missed chances to extend it. Second half Blackburn stepped up a gear bought on quality experienced players and deserved to win, simple as that they were stronger and took their chances strangely it happens in football. Very disappointed that we lost but really pissed off with the sudden urge some have to lay blame at the door of individuals. This team has been magnificent and was again but just lost to a better one, we can still stay up, we fight till the end remember UTR.

Well said. We won the first half, shame we didn’t build on the lead, then unfortunately Mowbray recognised how they could get back into it, made the changes, got them pressing and using their physical edge which resulted in them winning the second half and the match ? Sadly their experience and squad depth was too much for us tonight. It’s looking increasingly improbable that we’ll stay up but it is still possible so I’ll keep the faith a little while longer ? 

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The first half was good because we played out from the back and broke through their lines but then you want us to just launch the ball second half?

We only got away with it first half as there was no press from Blackburn. We have to be able to adapt our tactics during the game and playing long under a huge press would have been a better option. We didn’t do the basics in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I think the reason is how stark the contrast was tonight compared with a season where we have shown lots of guts and pulled results out of the fire against the odds.

For whatever reason, tonight was the opposite. Decent start, deserved lead.

Then capitulated for 10 mins and mentally were a shambles as Blackburn bullied us. They coasted and we looked totally clueless really.  Last minute injury and a decisive goal instead of the hoped-for rallying cry and last minute heroism. 

Tough watch. Feels like a crushing blow and a bit of a whimper after the way we have roared in defiance. 

Saturday is massive now.

Every game this season has been massive. Mentally and emotionally that must put a massive strain on the team. It does feel that the weight of it all might just have become a little too much based on tonight. And that's okay. 

6 minutes ago, IncredibleKoosh said:

Every game this season has been massive. Mentally and emotionally that must put a massive strain on the team. It does feel that the weight of it all might just have become a little too much based on tonight. And that's okay. 

You're right. The whole situation has been an ordeal for any of the team. Pals disappear as they're sold. Rumours flying around. Worry about whether they'll be paid, or whether the training ground will be open when they turn up. 

All takes its toll. And loads of them are just young lads. 

If you still believed after Millwall at home, why give up now?

Yes, we have ground to make up and yes, time is running out. It’s a big ask, absolutely, especially with Barnsley finding form and Reading building our hopes up only to sneak a surprise result every now and again.

But with eight games to go and 24 points up for grabs, anything and everything is still possible.

What it all boils down to now is Rooney, Rosenior and these players deciding how they want to be remembered.

It’s a time for heroes to be made.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

If you still believed after Millwall at home, why give up now?

Yes, we have ground to make up and yes, time is running out. It’s a big ask, absolutely, especially with Barnsley finding form and Reading building our hopes up only to sneak a surprise result every now and again.

But with eight games to go and 24 points up for grabs, anything and everything is still possible.

What it all boils down to now is Rooney, Rosenior and these players deciding how they want to be remembered.

It’s a time for heroes to be made.

Can write off 3 away games and Fulham at home if our form is anything to go by.

Leaves 12 points. We are 6 points behind, which will be 7 or 9 as  Reading play Barnsley 

We've been beaten by a physically stronger and more experienced side who are likely to make the playoffs... It hurts more having been in control first half but anyone lambasting individual players needs to get a grip.

The fact that it's still possible to stay up at this point given everything we've gone through this season is mightily impressive.

There's still some twists in the tale and as long as it's still possible we've got to keep fighting. The club needs our support.

Its not going to script is it? Hard to feel any hope now... there is enough road left but we aren't going to win all our home games and it doesn't look like we will any away. Barnsley and Reading who have looked dog egg all season now peeing on our chips.

I fear a result against Coventry (and favourable ones elsewhere) will only see us have our hopes raised and dashed yet again... Er, like the girl who you believe you're on a promise with but always leaves you stumbling blindly home alone with a kebab compass at the end of the night... dreaming of what might've been.

Open letter to the EFL.

Please could you increase our points deduction to 36 with the proviso that we start next season on zero points in League One.

We might then be in a position to play football on a level field without having to play each game on a slope of 45 degrees with a force nine gale constantly in our faces.

Being able to buy and sell an occasional player may also make us more attractive to a potential buyer but we appreciate that we should not ask for too much in the name of fair and equiitable treatment.

Respectfully Yours

Disgusted, Tonbridge Wells.

AKA Steve Brummie

Edited by Brammie Steve

14 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Can write off 3 away games and Fulham at home if our form is anything to go by.

Leaves 12 points. We are 6 points behind, which will be 7 or 9 as  Reading play Barnsley 

Why write off the three away games?

Let’s look at the seven away games we have lost in a row.

Middlesbrough, Forest, Huddersfield, Luton, Blackburn and Bournemouth - six of the current top 10 and all in the promotion picture.

The other was Cardiff, who are much lower down the table but rarely a place where we get much joy.

It’s frustrating because you could argue we’ve probably deserved 5-6 points and came away with the grand total of 0.

But the beauty of a difficult run is that it doesn’t last forever.

We have to be looking to get something from every game if we can.

Edited by Jourdan

Just back, what a contrast between the two halves. Deservedly one nil up and perhaps should have been two if we had taken that one on one just before half time. Then we just seem to fall apart after Buchanan had a chance to shoot, but ran into the defender. A couple of corners later and we were two one down. Couple of promising moments down the right wing, but once again the final ball was lacking and Festy appeared to be playing with the handbrake on (injured?). 

Felt utterly deflated walking out, particularly as the evening had started so well. Not quite as bad as at Peterborough, as I am more resigned to our fate now. Oh well roll on Saturday and another tough match v Coventry.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

For the remaining games we need to get the senior pros back in. Too many youngsters at the minute who do not have the know-how and it showed in the second half.

Allsopp

Byrne        Davies         Stearman       Forsyth

Bielik

Knight            Morrison

Ebosele             Plange                Lawrence

Totally agree with your point. But Morrison sitting this deep is a yawn. Bring in Bird, who was decent tonight, push Morrison forward alongside Lawrence and remove Plange   

47 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You say that after Bird pretty much ran the game in the first half. He’s a big talent who is still very young.

Hughes is only a bit part player as he’s struggled with injuries. Watford fans saying he should be getting an England call up, Palace when he started his first game got MOM.

As I said I wasn’t running Bird down (or anybody) he’s a decent player. I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say he ran the game 1st half, I think we edged a sloppy performance by both teams in possession. We finished the half quite strongly. I’ve got nowt against Max, just think he’ll end up a half decent championship player, which isn’t to be sniffed at whatsoever. As for Hughes,  (who I loved as a player) he’s got the sort of game that fans purr at but nearly 27 talk of England call ups are fanciful. I think it possible to like and appreciate the talents of players like Bird and Hughes whilst having a balanced view of what they’re likely  to achieve in the game. 

I find it very frustrating watching Allsop on goal kicks and the general speed of retrieving and passing the ball. His body language just slows the tempo right down. He plays like he’s playing 5 a side and his team is 5-0 up. The pass to Bird was no surprise. It was coming. No urgency. The loss of concentration on the second goal by him and the defence by getting involved in the handbags before the corner was unprofessional 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Thompson kept us in the game late in the second half with a brilliant tackle on the edge of our penalty area when Blackburn broke. 

The kid's got guts and doesn't deserve to be singled out on that performance. 

I just struggle to see what he achieves, he plays almost in front of the left back?

Seems to really struggle moving the ball forwards as well, and strength an issue too. No one wants to have a go is at least four games I can think of where has been noticeably our weakest player. 

Hope he comes again but just feels not the time to be carrying people.

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

Not plange please. No point in developing him any further when he will not be here next season

Are we really in a position to be choosy about who we develope for next season?

we need strongest eleven at all times, plange has to start now kazim injured.