Blackburn Away Match Thread

4 hours ago, Rambervalley said:

Last night was indeed hugely disappointing and another missed opportunity. And it’s all been said really. 

Once we were hit with the points deductions I feared the worst and just hoped that we didn’t throw in the towel but put up a respectable fight for the rest of the season.
We have done so much more than that and my expectations have been blown out of the water. 

Despite everything I have loved this season and the fight and togetherness that we’ve seen has been fantastic and at times, emotional. 

I know that mathematically we aren’t yet down and we will continue to battle on. But this squad can be proud of themselves whatever the outcome. 

Kudos to all those fans that have traveled away regularly and given their full support to the team. 
Survival as a Club is the number one priority. League 1 might be fun. 

Hear! Hear! The fans have reversed the "narrative" promulgated by EFL, Gibson, Couhig and the like that "Derby County are cheats! and need to be taught a lesson". I am so proud of my fellow Derby fans. They are the best.   

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd interested to know how close Blackburn are to breaching FFP regulations on gates like that and conversely with gates of a far larger magnitude why then we fell foul of them. 

I reckon there are lots teetering on the brink. But it will all be blamed on Covid. It won’t be mediocre attendances, high wages or for that matter “cheating” … Perish the thought. 

We have been made an example of … clear as day. Doesn’t excuse financial mismanagement or the bizarre state of football economics but to be singled out hurts. 

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd interested to know how close Blackburn are to breaching FFP regulations on gates like that and conversely with gates of a far larger magnitude why then we fell foul of them. 

Adam Armstrong and the sale of the training ground, plus the sale of Brereton-Diaz will probably keep them in the clear.

23 hours ago, Jourdan said:

If you still believed after Millwall at home, why give up now?

Yes, we have ground to make up and yes, time is running out. It’s a big ask, absolutely, especially with Barnsley finding form and Reading building our hopes up only to sneak a surprise result every now and again.

But with eight games to go and 24 points up for grabs, anything and everything is still possible.

Mathematically possible, but based on recent performances and results, we are now in footballing miracles territory.  

14 hours ago, europia said:

Mathematically possible, but based on recent performances and results, we are now in footballing miracles territory.  

I would agree with you if there were 2-3 games to go and we were in this position. I would also agree if we had an unfavourable run in - say five away games and just three home games left.

But as it is, I don’t think a miracle is required. We don’t have to win eight games on the spin, after all. We just have to maintain a healthy goal difference and get enough positive results to keep us in touching distance until the final day. Once we get there, anything is possible.

Yes, recent performances have been mixed and yes, results away from home in particular have been poor. But our home form is really good. We have won six in eight at home and picked up 19 points from 24.

We have five home games, all of them are very much winnable as even Fulham have shown in recent games that they can have off days. 

Thankfully we only have three away games left but none of them have particularly formidable home records. Seven teams have gone to Blackpool and won. 10 teams have gone to QPR and picked up a point or more. Nine teams have gone to Swansea and picked up a point or more.

We’ve not left ourselves with an easy task, this is true, but it hasn’t reached the realms of impossibility yet.

If we win on Saturday and other results go our way, the mood will change and we will feel plenty of encouragement for the run-in ahead.

28 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I would agree with you if there were 2-3 games to go and we were in this position. I would also agree if we had an unfavourable run in - say five away games and just three home games left.

But as it is, I don’t think a miracle is required. We don’t have to win eight games on the spin, after all. We just have to maintain a healthy goal difference and get enough positive results to keep us in touching distance until the final day. Once we get there, anything is possible.

Yes, recent performances have been mixed and yes, results away from home in particular have been poor. But our home form is really good. We have won six in eight at home and picked up 19 points from 24.

We have five home games, all of them are very much winnable as even Fulham have shown in recent games that they can have off days. 

Thankfully we only have three away games left but none of them have particularly formidable home records. Seven teams have gone to Blackpool and won. 10 teams have gone to QPR and picked up a point or more. Nine teams have gone to Swansea and picked up a point or more.

We’ve not left ourselves with an easy task, this is true, but it hasn’t reached the realms of impossibility yet.

If we win on Saturday and other results go our way, the mood will change and we will feel plenty of encouragement for the run-in ahead.

Spot on Jourdan , good post

21 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Second most at risk of exceeding limits behind Stoke. Blackburn have a number of assets they can sell in the summer to avoid any P&S penalties - notably Brereton and Dolan. Stoke will be reliant on their Covid impairment being approved by Gibson.
Bournemouth up there depending on how much cost cutting they've actually done since dropping down.
Forest always have a get out of jail free card with their A-team willing to purchase a player if needed.

Boro have cut costs sufficiently.
Bristol will be just inside the limits... for this period. Tricky situation for them next year though.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Second most at risk of exceeding limits behind Stoke. Blackburn have a number of assets they can sell in the summer to avoid any P&S penalties - notably Brereton and Dolan. Stoke will be reliant on their Covid impairment being approved by Gibson.
Bournemouth up there depending on how much cost cutting they've actually done since dropping down.
Forest always have a get out of jail free card with their A-team willing to purchase a player if needed.

Boro have cut costs sufficiently.
Bristol will be just inside the limits... for this period. Tricky situation for them next year though.

Think he's out of contract in a few months

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I genuinely admire your optimism. Of course it's not impossible, you are right, but it seems to me that we are reliant on the teams around us completely failing, in order that we can somehow limp to safety.  

On 17/03/2022 at 21:54, europia said:

I genuinely admire your optimism. Of course it's not impossible, you are right, but it seems to me that we are reliant on the teams around us completely failing, in order that we can somehow limp to safety.  

I don’t know if it’s optimism, more a case of looking at what’s possible. In such a situation, while it’s possible you have to believe. We all need that.

Of course we are reliant on other teams. It’s usually the case for most teams who reach this stage of the season with something to play for. Usually your own results won’t be enough. You’ll need someone to slip up somewhere. We’re no different.

On the Barnsley and Reading forums you can bet they’ll be scrutinising our fixtures too, cheering every opposition goal, and generally hoping our opposition can help them out and make life easier.

Considering we might need 40 points to survive - potentially five wins or more - I don’t think anyone will feel we have ‘limped to safety’.

It will be an amazing achievement if Rooney and the boys can pull it off.