The Administration Thread

Boycie

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It’s not a good phrase for optimism IMO.  
Appleby is obviously waiting on Q to accept his deal or reject it 

I’m hoping for the former but if that’s the case why are Q looking at contingency funds for the season 

Because they'd be foolish not to while there is still a good chance that there will be no deal....

14 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Good post.

Parry et al are just lapdogs for the Premier League. The Football league is very marketable and capable of building far better TV deals with a bit of gumption from those running the show.

Absolutely, although I wouldn't call the EFL lapdogs for the Premier League. I genuinely feel the Premier League see the EFL as a charity case. If the EFL are lapdogs for anyone then it's Sky - handing them all types of rights to their product for a poor fees in comparison. 

If they had any sense whatsoever they would shop the TV rights around - Apple, Amazon, Netflix (if they want to go digital) - or split the rights up. Obviously, the fall back is that they could create their own platform (which I do believe they have some infrastructure for already?) and sell to the fans of the clubs. The more content that is created, quality content, will open the doors to substantial revenue growth. 

The fact is that there is a SUBSTANTIAL amount of people in the UK watching football outside the top 20 and there is an opportunity to turn that into money. The problem now is that the coverage of the Premier League is so vast that people can happily support a team at the other end of the country and feel just as inclusive as though it was their local team. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a substantial fall off in kids supporting their local team over one of the top 6 in this country, regardless of the overseas aspect. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Absolutely, although I wouldn't call the EFL lapdogs for the Premier League. I genuinely feel the Premier League see the EFL as a charity case. If the EFL are lapdogs for anyone then it's Sky - handing them all types of rights to their product for a poor fees in comparison. 

If they had any sense whatsoever they would shop the TV rights around - Apple, Amazon, Netflix (if they want to go digital) - or split the rights up. Obviously, the fall back is that they could create their own platform (which I do believe they have some infrastructure for already?) and sell to the fans of the clubs. The more content that is created, quality content, will open the doors to substantial revenue growth. 

The fact is that there is a SUBSTANTIAL amount of people in the UK watching football outside the top 20 and there is an opportunity to turn that into money. The problem now is that the coverage of the Premier League is so vast that people can happily support a team at the other end of the country and feel just as inclusive as though it was their local team. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a substantial fall off in kids supporting their local team over one of the top 6 in this country, regardless of the overseas aspect. 

Isn’t this why Mel got into trouble with the EFL over TV rights !

They never forgave him bringing it up IMO

9 hours ago, rsmini said:

The podcast is worth a listen. Mr Appleby mentions connections to Barcelona, Man Utd and naming rights of Spurs stadium 

That is a great listen, thanks.

Some interesting takeaways including Appleby setting up a player representation agency (so being able to sell Derby directly to some decent players) & a commercial marketing division that as you mention has had involvement with Barcelona, Man Utd & Spurs. I also didn't realise the depth of his sports experience - being involved with Detroit Pistons in the late 80s will have been an incredible experience. That was a team that won two NBA Championships & directly denied Michael Jordan & his legendary Chicago Bulls team an NBA title until the early 90s.

I'm particularly encouraged by his previous experience with Derby though - he presided over a period starting with the 11 point season & ending in McClaren's first full season in 14/15 when the side should have been promoted back to the Prem. There were mistakes made, not least the money spent in 07/08 by Jewell to try & claim some respectability but the approach thereafter was spot on. GSE appointed a manager who by his own admission was a slow builder & stuck with him despite some dreadful runs (Appleby mentions the 17 defeats in 22 games run in 2010/11). That patience was rewarded with a squad that by 13/14 was ready to launch a promotion assault.

I also seem to recall GSE attempting to influence the culture of the league by proposing FFP (how ironic) & Tom Glick was certainly very prominent as a voice amongst Championship clubs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Appleby take a similar role, looking to advise the EFL on how to better leverage its product from a TV rights/commerciality point of view and even from a parachute payment renegotiation perspective. Appleby's humility, obvious hard work & knowledge would also repair Derby's reputation amongst our peers in the EFL - something which in a club dominated EFL, needs to happen.

He would be an excellent choice as new Derby owner. I look forward to seeing what the next few days bring in terms of developments.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

I'll be honest, I would like Appleby, but I won't sniff at Mike Ashley if it saves the club.

Either way, I'm full of nagging doubts about the deals that might be done and it might more than grind as we rebuild our club from near death but several years of zombie existence with only the meager nourishment of at least we're still Derby County Football Club to keep the faith.

But we will become strong again.

We will return to a better place.

The time until we do will make us stronger when we get there.

Whoever the owner is, the thing I'm bothered about most is the recruitment team. This department needs to be sorted out. Our recruitment of academy players is very good but senior players it has generally been poor over the last few years. I want to see a football director come in with a better approach. You live a die by your recruitment. If we are to have any success in the following years then this has to be a priority.

20 hours ago, GenBr said:

No, but that is irrelevant. Administration isn't the only reason they need to refuse the transfer of the golden share or to expel us from the league.

Totally untrue. They have rules about, to be followed, in admin. Simply being in admin is not a justification. 

19 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

We were only allowed to fund month to month last season because we went into administration after the season had started,we won't be allowed that luxury this season.

Not true. 

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Whoever the owner is, the thing I'm bothered about most is the recruitment team. This department needs to be sorted out. Our recruitment of academy players is very good but senior players it has generally been poor over the last few years. I want to see a football director come in with a better approach. You live a die by your recruitment. If we are to have any success in the following years then this has to be a priority.

At times it feels like the recruitment team acts like fans. They scour the leading scorers table, football league team of the week and expiring contracts section then start making enquiries. I never get the feeling we have scouts at non-league games or watch a player for a protracted period.

When was our last really inspirational signing of an unknown?

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Before now wasn’t it headed up by Schteves son with representation from Morris’ kid on there as well? 

Farcical