Middlesbrough lodge £45m compensation claim

Bubbles

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Certainly the admins can by agreement quantity a contingent claim against the club. Pretty sure also that they can pay Gibson to go away. They have full powers to run the business. They are not liquidators 

This isn't a running cost though - it's not a necessary business expense. I don't see how they could legally pay a substantial sum to a party who is not demonstrably a creditor. I could not see any of the preferential creditors accepting that as it could materially reduce their own recovery, unless it was part of the overall financial settlement. Happy to be corrected if anyone has experienced a similar issue. 

19 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Certainly the admins can by agreement quantify a contingent claim against the club. Pretty sure also that they can simply pay Gibson to go away. They have full powers to run the business. They are not liquidators 

Can we have a whip round to pay him to go away. I’m sure someone could think of interesting places to send him.

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm going to sue Bobby Madley thus,

1. On the 1st March 2014, in the 43rd minute of the Championship match between Burnley and Derby County, Mr. Bobby "Atwell my arse, watch this for a game of soldiers" Madley, did wilfully and maliciously refuse to award a blatant penalty to the aforementioned Derby County FC.

2. Furthermore, Mr Madley then wilfully and maliciously ruled out a perfectly good goal from the same passage of play that was beautifully stroked home by Jeff "I'll take you all on outside Revolution Bar" Hendrick.

3. Mr. Madley then proceeded to award a yellow card to Christopher "Wardrobe" Martin for diving, adding to the previously awarded yellow for being a wardrobe on a football pitch without prior consent. 

4. Mr. Madley acted with pre-meditation to deprive Derby County FC of taking the momentum from Burnley FC in this promotion battle. It is obvious to all that Derby would have gone on to beat Burnley due to the well established law of "get in to them once you are on the up and they are on the back foot grovelling", which is firmly established as football lore.

I demand damages of £250, due to Mr. Madley's actions stopping us finishing in the automatic promotion place, which is the approximate cost of me travelling down to that there London for a weekend of liver damaging drinking culminating in losing to an ageing QPR side that had broken the FFP rules to a level that Melvin Morris could only dream of.

Oh, and £5b which we would now be worth if we'd of gone up with that team.

It certainly was a sliding doors moment.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Make sure its not to windy and out the sun so it's satisfyingly moist when he finds it, need to make it's sure it's moist when he gets it and not desiccated.   Give careful consideration to what you eat the day before as well, you wouldn't want an easy shift. One that sticks to the shovel good and proper with an aromatic aroma when he opens the door.  Perhaps a combination of pot noodles and 3 pints of cheap bitter.  Don't forget the bloke at Wycombe who's lodged a claim as well.  He doesn't want quite as much so you could just wipe your arse on  an envelope when your done and send it off private and confidential.

You sound like you speak from experience ?

I’m willing to bet there is something in the EFL’s rules that prevent one club going after another on purely football matters. 

The level and methods he’s used to do all this speaks of a guy with some mental health issues. It’s obsessional 

Anyway, as others have pointed out it’s only the place in the play offs that can be argued about even tenuously. Weirdly I feel sorry for him.

it’s going to be interesting to see what the EFL do or say. I’m sure we’ll hear promptly given their usual rapid and decisive making process 

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

This appears to be unfortunate proof that I will never invent backwards time travel. If I were ever going to do that, I'd have gone back in time to well before now and sliced the Bamford into lots of pieces before returning to the future. Perhaps Hawking's Chronology Protection Conjecture is genuinely valid?

I’ve often wondered that in quieter moments…

Obviously it’s not going to happen, but you could imagine if it did?

One football club putting another out of existence over a hypothetical situation constructed in their own heads. The future would be anarchy with clubs suing others for finishing above them for various reasons.

The EFL should stamp it out immediately and actually grow a pair to tell Gibson no for once. He’s like a child and if you keep telling a child yes, they’ll keep asking for more.

The EFL really need to make moves to get football back to being played on the pitch. More and more these days it’s played in disciplinary hearings or the offices of highly-paid solicitors, and people are falling out of love with it because of that.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

This isn't a running cost though - it's not a necessary business expense. I don't see how they could legally pay a substantial sum to a party who is not demonstrably a creditor. I could not see any of the preferential creditors accepting that as it could materially reduce their own recovery, unless it was part of the overall financial settlement. Happy to be corrected if anyone has experienced a similar issue. 

If the club is not sold we might be liquidated. And anyone buying the club assumes the worst about the contingency. I think that’s how it is justified. I’d guess the admins will get a letter from their legal advisers supporting whatever they do. Will be interesting to see what happens 

Two points:

Villa overspent and finished 5th, where is their court summons? 

How can he prove that, if we had crafted a more frugal team of grafters and experienced pros and kept within budgets, we would not have performed as well as we did. 

Recent history shows we are no good with expensive names, but play well with less fashionable hard workers! 

2 hours ago, jono said:

I’m willing to bet there is something in the EFL’s rules that prevent one club going after another on purely football matters. 
The level and methods he’s used to do all this speaks of a guy with some mental health issues. It’s obsessional 

Anyway, as others have pointed out it’s only the place in the play offs that can be argued about even tenuously. Weirdly I feel sorry for him.

it’s going to be interesting to see what the EFL do or say. I’m sure we’ll hear promptly given their usual rapid and decisive making process 

He doesn't get let off with 'issues' he's just a nasty, rotten-minded piece of work with the position to put his vendetta into practice. Imagine a Mr P but with money and position! 

If anyone assessing this claim needs evidence of what a random, fickle game football can be, and therefore why assumptions about likely outcomes aren't reliable, they could do worse than look at our game against Boro's at the Riverside and how their equaliser came about.