Middlesbrough lodge £45m compensation claim

Bubbles

49 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Two points:

Villa overspent and finished 5th, where is their court summons? 

How can he prove that, if we had crafted a more frugal team of grafters and experienced pros and kept within budgets, we would not have performed as well as we did. 

Recent history shows we are no good with expensive names, but play well with less fashionable hard workers! 

Leicester also over spent massively. This would get extremely messy, nothing will come of it imo. Steve Gibson is having some kind of breakdown by the sound of it, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was that guy on the Bristol city forum.

I must be the only person on here who thinks Steve Gibson has a point. In fact, I think he should be making an even bigger claim to cover the fact that Tony Pulis' side could have finished in a Champions League place.

So he really ought to be putting in a more justified claim of £100m as we not only denied them promotion but the opportunity to play in Europe.

Although Boro lost both games 3-0  home & away to Villa in that league season, as well as losing to them in the PO SF the season before, I put Boro's data through a processor called the Smoggulator and it came out with the prediction that Gibson's side would have beaten Leeds on penalties after two goalless draws before beating Aston Villa 6-1 at Wembley after scoring 49 goals in the normal season.

The Smoggulator came up with certain predictions about what would have happened if we hadn't denied that nice Mr Gobsh!te's team a place in the play-offs, discounting the scandalously partisan OPTA stats - known as Pravda in Teesside - where they only had 1 shot on TG in the 3-0 loss at Villa Park & managed 4 across both league games to Villa's 39 attempts/13 on TG. The Smoggulator comes to its own conclusions as it is fueled by a high quality form of green energy known as complete and utter BS.

Key incidents:

'5, Jack Grealish receives a yellow after a display of petulance, something Steve Gibson can relate to, only too well himself. Rumours abound that he often flounces off when he sees his own reflection in the mirror.

'13 John McGinn booked for being Scottish. The referee misunderstanding  'I was only going for the ball' as 'Are you talking to me, pal?' due to his Glaswegian accent.

'16  Britt Assombalonga scores twice in a minute, a kind of football version of BOGOF, 2-0 to the NE's premier club

'18 Jack Grealish sent off for having floppy hair

'19 McGinn sent off for complaining about Grealish getting sent off for having floppy hair

'20 The referee gives a penalty to Boro after El Ghazi dives in the opposition box. His brazen attempt incenses the referee so much, he ends up punishing Villa by giving Boro a penalty at the other end instead. The EFL representatives in the executive area all stand up to approve & give the ref, Steve Jobsworth, a round of applause, North Korea style.

'35, Target man Jordan Hugill dances through the Villa defence like Billy Elliot & places his shot perfectly in the corner. 

HT 4-0 to Boro

'56, Boro complete a 22-man Dutch pass masters move to go nap. 5-0

'69 Villa go down to eight men after GK Steer is sent off for bringing down 'dancing feet' Aden Flint's marauding run into the box. Boro score the resultant penalty, Villa suffer a triple punishment, also known around the halls & soulless corridors of the EFL as giving the Rams two points deductions & then ensuring they don't have a hope in hell of ever wiping any of it out by putting in all sorts of embargoes & salary caps. 

'77 Randolph makes an error, dropping the ball for Abraham to tap in. Villa get an unlikely consolation. Gibson is upset as he had 6-0 with bet365 at £50. He has the face of a guy who picks up a fiver off the street, only to find he has split his trousers. More 'Sourpuss' than Bagpuss.

Still processing the second half for a full breakdown of match details including OPTA stats, but the Smoggulator crashed & needs  cranking up.

It did, however, come up with one  very interesting scenario, which may be a little disconcerting for Mr Gibson. Two years after Derby got relegated in '84, Boro nearly went out of business themselves, ending up in the third tier. It was at this point that the Smoggulator spontaneously combusted.

Edited by Asanovic70

As fun as the ridicule and merriment is, it's still a time consuming situation that needs proper management and a resolution before anyone will commit to buying the club.

It can't just be rubbished away (even though that's what it deserves) and the line in the video from the administrator hardly put me at ease.

"The EFL will do what they can (oh God, we know what that usually means), working with us to insure that those claims are dealt with properly (please lord, no, not with their idea of properly!), and are not an impediment to our plans to restructure the club and find a new owner" (Oh, phew, I guess?)

Please excuse me if I don't believe them, and feel that with their penchant for cowering down to Steve Gibson their 'help' will actually just involve them telling us we should agree to a small settlement, even when none is deserved.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Behind the satire lay a serious point. Mr Gibson is being disingenuous/misleading people if he thinks we seriously denied Boro a legitimate place in the PL. The stats suggest otherwise, but if he thinks his side would have done a better job at Wembley, he is being dishonest & rewriting history. The administrators should argue this case forcefully. 

If anything, Mr Gibson is one of the standard bearers for how things are now conducted in the second tier. He got Boro up under Robson by outspending the rest of the division. Money has always counted even before the advent of parachute payments. If I was a Boro supporter, I'd ask what happened to their Academy, which used to churn out players like Downing. A lot of Boro's current woes lie closer to home & they had the benefit of parachute payments. We've become a scapegoat for Mr Gibson's own failings.

After much serious consideration, I have made the decision that, should Derby County cease to exist... be it directly or indirectly due to the absolute Gibson formerly known as Gibson, I will purchase an appropriate red replica shirt, match day ticket for a game at Ayresome Park (or whatever they call that new place they had built next to the river), and go about... naked from the waist down, I hasten to add... causing such an on-pitch ruckus as I am able (certainly willing!) that the stewards are slipping all over the place in their deep-fat-laden-batter-coated attempts to catch me, the oppo players are dashing for the safety of the tunnel, full of fear for their own lives, and that of their families, and my exposed twinkle sways side to side... rather like an extremely small pendulum... leading to Boro getting a points deduction for "Failing to control their fans" (Tee Hee!) and ground closure (including subsequent loss of income) for their next 3 home games.  

If anyone fancies joining me, between us we could up that to potentially getting their ground closed for a whole season, and we would all get the added bonus of receiving a life time ban from The Ayresome v2 Stadium.

... and at least one of you may take away my self disappointment re the aforementioned extremely small pendulum! 

Happy days all around... well... apart from the bit about Derby County ceasing to exist, Obvs!  ?

Just now, Shipley Ram said:

If we go bust all he gets is legal fees (and a sense of satisfaction?).

He might want a smaller settlement than reported. I have thoughts about the Sheff U / West Ham case. Different but worrying none the less. Still think its a ridiculous argument and this could lead to big consequences and other cases.

Just now, Shipley Ram said:

If we go bust all he gets is legal fees (and a sense of satisfaction?).

If he loses or we go bust, he loses.  One paying out our legal fees and two the chance to avoid his own FFP black hole, by trying to get money of Derby to make his own clubs accounts look sweeter. Problem is by doing this, he now needs to be absolute spotless in his dealings going forward or both him and the EFL will look like bigger twits than they are.  He probably didn't think this through in his own spiteful little foot stomp and is looking for money from Derby late in the day to shove in his accounts to save face.  

12 minutes ago, Yani P said:

He has zero chance he is just trying to disrupt our takeover because he is a bitter nobody..

Totally agree. Its impossible to prove that the result of a football match can be determined by FFP/P&S rules. 

Its still football matches with the capability of Theo Robinson wonder goals and Coffee Cup comedy goals. 

Gibson is obviously just playing the game. He's a chancer.