Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

11 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

The more I seem him in the position, the more I think Fozzy is perfectly suited for the CB role now.

Has all the attributes to make a decent centre back, just needs to learn the position itself but has the height, pace & not bad on the ball

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Quietly impressed by Tom Carroll. Shinnie is doing Shinnie things and Morrison’s quality is there to see.

Can see Aluko and Baldock are without clubs, though. Cannot help but feel like this current squad would struggle in league one, let alone next seasons Championship. 

If we can’t sort out our situation in the transfer market, the question of whether Rooney is or isn’t a good manager will be completely pointless.

I don’t think Rooney helps though, his tactics are god awful, he makes a crap squad look ten times worse 

Aluko is one of those players who for every good thing he does, he's makes one and a half mistakes. 

Eye catching which is exciting, but ultimately achieves little.

I'd love to see Lawrence's pass completion within 30 yds of goal, I'd bet it's grim.

Morrison having another quietly impressive game, I like the look of him.

Fozzy looks at home at CB.

We can't expect Buchanan and Bryne to provide the danger without leaving massive gaps that our opposition will exploit, time after time we're so narrow we can't defend the flanks.

Back 3 or nothing.

You can see they are technically better.

Odd little bits from us … meh … just a friendly, good to look at some of the possible incomers. 

I kind of like Aluko for physical presence

but he’s made a couple of daft errors. He’s fast enough at max speed but it’s like starting your car from a standstill  in second gear

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Quietly impressed by Tom Carroll. Shinnie is doing Shinnie things and Morrison’s quality is there to see.

Can see Aluko and Baldock are without clubs, though. Cannot help but feel like this current squad would struggle in league one, let alone next seasons Championship. 

If we can’t sort out our situation in the transfer market, the question of whether Rooney is or isn’t a good manager will be completely pointless.

If we get the four or five anticipated players in on loan, we are still probably a bottom 6 team on paper. 

3 minutes ago, Rample said:

Done well so far against a good team. They've come at us and the defence has stood their ground and dealt with most of it well.

Good stop by Roos when they did get through. Forsyth has looked pretty composed in pre-season. Jagielka does his job.

Aluko and Byrne getting a bit of an understanding and a couple of overlaps. Aluko cutting in to provide an outlet, but helping defensively too.

Morrison looking lively, skillful and getting sharper. Also able to stick his boot in when needed, which I didn't expect when he signed.

Lawrence getting back and forward trying to be involved, but some sloppy passes (not the only one)  

Buchanan having a solid game against quality players

Baldock lively and dragging players around, think he offers something different up front.

Shinnie getting stuck in, Carroll looking like he's behind the others in terms of fitness/sharpness .

I clapped this post, not because I agreed with it - I am not watching the game - but just for you being remarkably positive over a significant number of paragraphs. Top stuff.

2 minutes ago, Derbados said:

My main take away from this game so far is how on earth is Graham Shinnie not Captain of this football club. 

should be a criminal offence 

Maybe a decision made based on Shinnie's percieved lack of playing time going forward?

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Aluko is one of those players who for every good thing he does, he's makes one and a half mistakes. 

Eye catching which is exciting, but ultimately achieves little.

I wonder how much football he's played last season? Thought he looks better than last match, but yeah he's a free agent that we can afford.

I don't know if the Spanish league starts later than us but Betis seem to be lacking intensity in their play and are just stroking the ball around at their leisure. I think we're looking okay but based on the lack of intensity it's hard to judge really. Sitting deep seems to be sensible with the back 4 as it is especially Jagielka and Forsyth but in the competitive games this could become an issue. 

I like the look of Carrol in this game looked solid when we've had the ball and think he's going to be important for us to get. I don't think it's sensible for Buchanan and Byrne to be going forward together as they are, it's creating real issues when the move breaks down and letting them onto us. If this was competitive I'm sure they'd have scored with one of those. I like the look of Aluko on the wing he looks solid but am not convinced about him and carroll switching it up- a few times carroll has been asking for the ball only for Aluko not to notice. The end result is that you have two players not able to be their best selves because of their positioning. 

Baldock could be on the pitch from now until the start of the season and he'd still not score. I'd be looking elsewhere if we possibly can tbh. 

23 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I know, I was trying to avoid going overdrawn, so I've just wasted 20 mins of my life not watching the game, looking for it elsewhere! So I'm now overdrawn, and wondering how @Owen87ITK can give your post a thumbs up whilst commentating on the game, a multitasking master!.........or I've not missed much, and he's had nothing to talk about!

I look forward to the half time highlights and not my bill for going overdrawn!

I didn't miss much did I............sometimes looking for the game...........is more entertaining than the game itself........even the adverts are better.........up the Derby trail...... ermmm I know it's 0-0 and we are not trailing yet..........

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is Rooney's safety first, risk-free way. I can't be doing with it. I don't want us to be "Derby nil" but that's what he's turning us into.

Who the hell is looking like a 20 goal a season player? They looked more threatening against Salford and Man U. But this lot are a different gravy!

Ok they’re streets ahead of us but we’re hanging in there. However going forward we’re completely toothless, I know it’s all we’ve got but the trialists    aren’t the answer and I hope we’re looking elsewhere as well to boost our attacking options. 

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Has all the attributes to make a decent centre back, just needs to learn the position itself but has the height, pace & not bad on the ball

U haven’t watched him much there then ?

he’s not a centre back … he can do an emergency stop gap we’ve got nothing else sort of thing but we would be relegated by Xmas if he were to start the season there 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't know if the Spanish league starts later than us but Betis seem to be lacking intensity in their play and are just stroking the ball around at their leisure. I think we're looking okay but based on the lack of intensity it's hard to judge really. Sitting deep seems to be sensible with the back 4 as it is especially Jagielka and Forsyth but in the competitive games this could become an issue. 

I like the look of Carrol in this game looked solid when we've had the ball and think he's going to be important for us to get. I don't think it's sensible for Buchanan and Byrne to be going forward together as they are, it's creating real issues when the move breaks down and letting them onto us. If this was competitive I'm sure they'd have scored with one of those. I like the look of Aluko on the wing he looks solid but am not convinced about him and carroll switching it up- a few times carroll has been asking for the ball only for Aluko not to notice. The end result is that you have two players not able to be their best selves because of their positioning. 

Baldock could be on the pitch from now until the start of the season and he'd still not score. I'd be looking elsewhere if we possibly can tbh. 

The irony that England’s record scorer can’t see that Baldock is not a scorer ??‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Derbados said:

My main take away from this game so far is how on earth is Graham Shinnie not Captain of this football club. 

should be a criminal offence 

Funny that, because you’ve just got a performance out of Shinnie that you deem captain-worthy, yet he’s doing it anyway without the armband. 

Maybe it doesn’t really matter?

Edited by cosmic