Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

Rooney has shown his colours and only given Louie Sibley 15 minutes at the end of our preseason matches so far. It's so depressing. The season starts on 7th August. Even Rooney must realize it's unlikely we'll be able to sign any of his army of triallists by then. We have to play our own players and start getting minutes into their legs. We also have to change our mentality so we actually look as if we want to score goals. We need to be much less supine as a team, instead taking games by the scruff of the neck.

Sadly I can't see it happening. From the Rams social media I'm guessing Louie Watson will start ahead of Sibbo. I like Watson but he's not the player to get other Championship teams worried. Sibley will get his 10 minute cameo at the end and be booked because he's even more frustrated about it than me, and then Leeds or Wolves will come in and offer us £500k to take him off our hands when he's clearly not part of Rooney's plans.

I would love to be wrong.

39 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It seems a little strange that we've gone modern and cashless at the ground, but it is a requirement to physically print your tickets at home with no facility to instead scan the barcodes off your phone at the stadium. I know loads of people who don't have the facility to print themselves.

Sit on the scanner, press scan.  You can then print part of yourself. ?

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Rooney has shown his colours and only given Louie Sibley 15 minutes at the end of our preseason matches so far. It's so depressing. The season starts on 7th August. Even Rooney must realize it's unlikely we'll be able to sign any of his army of triallists by then. We have to play our own players and start getting minutes into their legs. We also have to change our mentality so we actually look as if we want to score goals. We need to be much less supine as a team, instead taking games by the scruff of the neck.

Sadly I can't see it happening. From the Rams social media I'm guessing Louie Watson will start ahead of Sibbo. I like Watson but he's not the player to get other Championship teams worried. Sibley will get his 10 minute cameo at the end and be booked because he's even more frustrated about it than me, and then Leeds or Wolves will come in and offer us £500k to take him off our hands when he's clearly not part of Rooney's plans.

But Sibley is too risky because he gets booked too often (1 yellow every 195 minutes at various levels), whereas Watson is the much safer option (1 yellow every 201 minutes last U23 season)

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But Sibley is too risky because he gets booked too often (1 yellow every 195 minutes at various levels), whereas Watson is the much safer option (1 yellow every 201 minutes last U23 season)

They're also completely different players. What @Carl Sagansaid was right, but it's not really a case of Watson or Sibley for the same spot in the team.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

They're also completely different players. What @Carl Sagansaid was right, but it's not really a case of Watson or Sibley for the same spot in the team.

They kind of are though. Different styles but both are best in the AM spot. Watson isn't anywhere near good enough defensively to be playing in the DM/CM positions

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

TBH I think both Sibley and Watson could potentially offer quite a lot. Watson looked really good in his cameo appearances off the bench, he looked like he could really pick a pass and the fluidity of our midfield improved by a lot when he was on the pitch. Then off course we stuck him on the left wing and when that envitabley didn't work we binned him off...

Both of them should have had more game time last year and both should be given a chance this season coming up. I think with the right coaching between the two of them we wouldn't really need to dip into the market looking for a 10.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They kind of are though. Different styles but both are best in the AM spot. Watson isn't anywhere near good enough defensively to be playing in the DM/CM positions

In time you could probably play both as the more forward CMs in a 433 especially if you have someone like Bielik behind them.  You could probably do that now but perhaps wouldn't want to do both at the same time just yet (although it's something that I think is worth at least looking at).

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

yeah, that 6 mins makes Rooney a mastermind.

I agree with GoC that LW defending isnt good enough yet to be a DCM but I think that’s where he’ll end up. For me he doesnt pick the ball up between lines high up the pitch at all and favours taking it off the centre backs deeper wheee he’s less opposed.

I see him more similar to Max Bird in type and I see Hutchinson more similar to Sibley. Saturday they both took the ball high up the pitch in tight areas….which is what I consider more ACM types.