Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 hours ago, David said:

If Man United came calling he would be gone, make no mistake about it, even as interim if he did well the permanent job would be his.

However I just don't see it, not after Ole. Carrick and Fletcher will continue until they can appoint a Poch, Zidane or ten Hag.

They have a lot of superstars in that dressing room, needs experience and respect in there to take control of the situation.

It's still one of the biggest jobs in the world, can't see many not being interested, with the squad they have as well to walk into.

The silver lining of us losing Lampard to Chelsea (popular ex-player with limited management experience: failed) is that it is now less likely Manchester United will poach Rooney, who has basically the same profile. Particularly after Ole, who was roughly similar (yes he'd managed for a while but never in a top league). I think the big clubs will increasingly want recently retired big name players to have a more successful track record before they take the leap (eg Gerrard going through Rangers and now Aston Villa).

That's what I hope, anyway... The only complication is that there aren't a lot of decent managers available to United at the moment. But still can't see them taking this punt - the only thing that would make sense is roping him in as assistant to whoever the new manager is, with a view to him being the ultimate successor. But not sure things ever work like that, or how attractive that prospect would be. Rooney seems like his own man, with his own ideas.

Edited by vonwright

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

""Wayne Rooney" is dead!" 

Anybody else take it as a bad omen when Clarkson's prize Ram ("Wayne Rooney") was found dead in the field after siring 75 ewes?; apparently he died of a "twisted gut"; Clarkson was visibly sad after it happened. See episodes #8. ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarkson's_Farm

Can't understand why he didn't call the programme "Tup Gear"? 

IGMC 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/12/Derby-county-vs-blackpool-11th-december-2021-wayne-rooney-reaction

"If you look back at the interview I did on Thursday, you could see that I was a bit flat. We have had a lot to deal with what with losing so many players and bringing so many young players in.

I felt it was an opportunity for some of the lads who haven’t played to come in and I have a lot of confidence in them.

“It wasn’t the best performance today; we had to change the shape and tried to mix it up and we didn’t play as much football as we have done this season, but it was a well-earned three points.”

It's such a tough gig! He really must wonder when we'll catch a break. Lady Luck was hanging about outside the ground, time she stepped on in! #COYR

WR still being strongly linked with Everton. Interesting to see how this goes. Nobody could blame Wayne for going...is it too soon? A real test of Wayne's wisdom here. It would be too much too soon I think but there is a strong case for saying you have to take your opportunities in lifer as they arise and Wayne, as a player has an exemplary record at seizing those to full effect. 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

WR still being strongly linked with Everton. Interesting to see how this goes. Nobody could blame Wayne for going...is it too soon? A real test of Wayne's wisdom here. It would be too much too soon I think but there is a strong case for saying you have to take your opportunities in lifer as they arise and Wayne, as a player has an exemplary record at seizing those to full effect. 

I seriously think there is zero chance of a premier league team, especially one like Everton, making an approach for Rooney.

He’s doing a decent job at Derby given the circumstances but I doubt good enough to attract such approaches especially given the current perceived failures of previous players at Man United and Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I seriously think there is zero chance of a premier league team, especially one like Everton, making an approach for Rooney.

He’s doing a decent job at Derby given the circumstances but I doubt good enough to attract such approaches especially given the current perceived failures of previous players at Man United and Chelsea.

Alternative view is that they appointed a deeply unpopular manager and can replace him with a homegrown legend. 

Everton looked destined for mid-table mediocrity anyway. Give him til the end of season and gives them breathing space to go for a top manager in the summer.  In the worst form in the league..not totally ludicrous. Happy to do a straight swap..

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Might be controversial but I wouldn't be against him going. 

We will get a few million in compensation for him leaving and we get his massive wages off the budget. Interim manager until the end of the season and a new manager to start afresh in June, hopefully under new ownership.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Might be controversial but I wouldn't be against him going. 

We will get a few million in compensation for him leaving and we get his massive wages off the budget. Interim manager until the end of the season and a new manager to start afresh in June, hopefully under new ownership.

Well any compensation we get would go to pay the administrators probably and we don’t actually know what he is actually being paid as manager, it may be a decent amount but it could easily not be whilst that said he is certainly earning it this season.

On 07/12/2021 at 14:23, Ellafella said:

""Wayne Rooney" is dead!" 

Anybody else take it as a bad omen when Clarkson's prize Ram ("Wayne Rooney") was found dead in the field after siring 75 ewes?; apparently he died of a "twisted gut"; Clarkson was visibly sad after it happened. See episodes #8. ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarkson's_Farm

Took it as a good omen - bearing in mind that the sheepy wazza died before last season ended and we stayed up on the last day.

Hopefully clarkson has named his new prize bull after our Wayne and he died only last month due to over activity  (but season 2 has yet to be shown). 

We're staying up ???

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Wouldn’t want to stand in his way, good luck Wayne ?

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It seems he’s been very strong at persuading players to come on board and at getting them motivated. But the jury is out on his tactical ability. If Kirchner comes in, it’s clear Rooney’s future with us is assured for the foreseeable. If another bidder gets it, who knows what will happen ? 
I recall that Clarkson’s Wayne Rooney was just 2 years old when he ceased to be a ram

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? Have they got hold of his bank statements?!

Sun newspaper, Jan 2021: Wayne Rooney ‘defers some of his £90k-a-week wages to ensure Derby players are paid’ amid club’s financial struggles.

Daily Mirror, Jul 2021: reported Rooney earns 90k pee week