Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is a mess. This is the third season running where our preparations have been completely disrupted by aspects outside of the managers control.If nothing else, that is more than enough punishment from the EFL. 

I think we did well the previous season, but last season, everyone underperformed, from top to bottom. To make matters worse, the job done from external sources (the EFL) has also been rubbish.

This all leaves Rooney in the middle of potential disaster. What can he do? He was very lucky to get the job in the first place, he was lucky to keep his job (better performing managers have gone for far less). He is probably the manager most in need of support but he is getting none.These are not conditions to help a manager blossom. He doesn't have any previous performances to give him leverage. The only thing he has right now is that the club cannot afford to sack him. I am certain he believes he can be a success, yet I think he had an arrogance last season that let him down. I think Rooney knows his managerial career will not be tarnished with what happens here, I think it still remains a win win for him. If he makes something of this season he will deserve all the credit going.

We have to support him, we have to back him. I didn't want him, I thought he should have gone at the end of the season and I have minimal enthusiasm for this season. But right now, based on pure blind faith, I hope he aces it. Until any kind of takeover happens, this is what we have. Though I fear things could get nasty if we don't make a good start.

31 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

It is a mess. This is the third season running where our preparations have been completely disrupted by aspects outside of the managers control.If nothing else, that is more than enough punishment from the EFL. 

I think we did well the previous season, but last season, everyone underperformed, from top to bottom. To make matters worse, the job done from external sources (the EFL) has also been rubbish.

This all leaves Rooney in the middle of potential disaster. What can he do? He was very lucky to get the job in the first place, he was lucky to keep his job (better performing managers have gone for far less). He is probably the manager most in need of support but he is getting none.These are not conditions to help a manager blossom. He doesn't have any previous performances to give him leverage. The only thing he has right now is that the club cannot afford to sack him. I am certain he believes he can be a success, yet I think he had an arrogance last season that let him down. I think Rooney knows his managerial career will not be tarnished with what happens here, I think it still remains a win win for him. If he makes something of this season he will deserve all the credit going.

We have to support him, we have to back him. I didn't want him, I thought he should have gone at the end of the season and I have minimal enthusiasm for this season. But right now, based on pure blind faith, I hope he aces it. Until any kind of takeover happens, this is what we have. Though I fear things could get nasty if we don't make a good start.

Do you mean nasty toward MM and the club? I think I am with you there.

I suspect/hope most fans will back and support the young kids doing their best even with the expected poor return on points. (Like we did with the rubbish 11 point prem team)

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Much as I am not a fan of him, I did promise a clean slate if we stayed up and he is totally in a no win position right now.

Walk away because it's impossible and the flack for quitting, stay and try to do the impossible and fail and get the flack.

To be honest I think he knows he needs to show something to ever be considered any other manager role, if he walked now, no other club is going to look past 1 win in 15 and think "that's my guy"

One win in 16....

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

I wonder what Roos' best outfield position is ? Perhaps our central defender solution is staring us in the face! ? ! ... Although regularly giving penalties away by trying to catch the ball might be an issue...

Perhaps a Bielik-esque midfield powerhouse in midfield ? Or a 2nd target man up front ?! ?

but the Euros show how much Marshall loves to get to the half way line

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

I wonder what Roos' best outfield position is ? Perhaps our central defender solution is staring us in the face! ? ! ... Although regularly giving penalties away by trying to catch the ball might be an issue...

Perhaps a Bielik-esque midfield powerhouse in midfield ? Or a 2nd target man up front ?! ?

That's not likely to happen. Punch it maybe?

2 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I have wondered about Bird at centre back.

Has the height and good left foot so similar to Clark in some ways. 
Would need to work on heading & positioning but that is not the toughest skill set.

When I occasionally played at centre back rather than usual mid field I always thought it easier.

Did you see his attempt at a tackle to rectify his error against Man Utd? It was not the tackle of someone who should be playing CB.

Edited by Coconut

10 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Would need to work on heading & positioning but that is not the toughest skill set.

When I occasionally played at centre back rather than usual mid field I always thought it easier.

Not like Wayne hasn't tried him there before

48 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

No. He's a central midfield player. I don't see him as a pure defensive or holding midfielder either. He's at his best when he plays further forward, where he gets his head up and starts playing. He's got an eye for a pass but lacks the defensive awareness.

Putting Rooney to one side for a moment…….the first point of order for the club is to bring this embargo to a head with the EFL ASAP!

Without that no-one moves forward.

What can the club ultimately do if the EFL act like morons?????? I’m not sure, but we need to tick those revised accounts boxes starting yesterday.

As for Rooney, well who knows?

I’m guessing he sat down with his advisors during the summer, sounded a few contacts out and decided sticking was the better option for this season. Will he go if the embargo stays? Possibly. He’s got his name to rely on to try and balance out a poor record.

Most important though is our club….managers come and go. So I think we need to have Darren Wassall prepped to take over on case Rooney walks…….IF Wassall will take it.

Edited by Ramarena

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Putting Rooney to one side for a moment…….the first point of order for the club is to bring this embargo to a head with the EFL ASAP!

Without that no-one moves forward.

What can the club ultimately do if the EFL act like morons?????? I’m not sure, but we need to tick those revised accounts boxes starting yesterday.

As for Rooney, well who knows?

I’m guessing he sat down with his advisors during the summer, sounded a few contacts out and decided sticking was the better option for this season. Will he go if the embargo stays? Possibly. He’s got his name to rely on to try and balance out a poor record.

Most important though is our club….managers come and go. So I think we need to have Darren Wassall prepped to take over on case Rooney walks…….IF Wassall will take it.

Wassall and Steve Mac 3 combo…does it for me…perhaps Wazza will be offered the England job ?

The most in demand senior business managers are turnaround experts who can take a basket case and rescue it, and the same is true of football clubs, e.g. who you gonna call?  "Neil Warnock" who is never out of work

Therefore I say this is a win/win for WR, if he keeps us up he will be in great demand, if we get relegated  everyone will say what did you expect the club was a basket case. 

The ability to manage on a shoestring budget is a very saleable commodity, therefore Wayne will not quit he is learning very valuable lessons at the moment which whatever happens will help in his career and for what it is worth the match against Man U did not harm his reputation. 

57 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

The most in demand senior business managers are turnaround experts who can take a basket case and rescue it, and the same is true of football clubs, e.g. who you gonna call?  "Neil Warnock" who is never out of work

Therefore I say this is a win/win for WR, if he keeps us up he will be in great demand, if we get relegated  everyone will say what did you expect the club was a basket case. 

The ability to manage on a shoestring budget is a very saleable commodity, therefore Wayne will not quit he is learning very valuable lessons at the moment which whatever happens will help in his career and for what it is worth the match against Man U did not harm his reputation. 

Not everything is that black and white. If we get relegated then there will be a proportion of fans whom will say Rooney should have done better with the squad he had at his disposal, whatever that squad ultimately ends up to be. 

One win in sixteen was it at the end of last season? There's also a proportion of people who don't think that Rooney should even have been given the chance to manage the club again after that and it's only due to our woeful off the field issues that he's managed to glean another chance by default.

I've tried not to use very long words in this post too so please let me know if any of them confused you.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not everything is that black and white. If we get relegated then there will be a proportion of fans whom will say Rooney should have done better with the squad he had at his disposal, whatever that squad ultimately ends up to be. 

One win in sixteen was it at the end of last season? There's also a proportion of people who don't think that Rooney should even have been given the chance to manage the club again after that and it's only due to our woeful off the field issues that he's managed to glean another chance by default.

I've tried not to use very long words in this post too so please let me know if any of them confused you.

You again missed the gist of a post, which was that it is the owners of clubs who decide on managerial appointments and not armchair experts, and that what WR is doing now is trying to turnaround a basket case, which is great experience for his future managerial prospects. I am sorry if the logic in my post confused you, and for the record I do not mind long words, only if they are used in a post to obfuscate any content.