Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Why should they doing better with this team...? I am hard pressed to think of any player in out squad that would get into a top 6 team. 

You telling me that Coventry Birmingham Preston Luton Barnsley (massively overachieving) Millwall have better squads than ours in terms of ability? We’re scrapping with Rotherham and we’re 3 points above Wycombe - they’ve done great - but they’re pub teams by comparison.

Lawrence Waghorn Byrne Clarke Shinnie Roberts Marshall are all more than capable championship players, with exception of Waggy and Marshall I’d say the others could all play in a top 6 team. With the right players around them Knight Bird Buchanan and Sibley could also play in a top 6 team. Then there’s Jozwiak - a first team polish international going to the Euros! 

A large chunk of this team was here last season and we finished 10th. We should not be anywhere near this. Top 6 - no chance, but mid-table definitely.

They should be doing better with this team. However they are not, and even if we do stay up, if the off field stuff isn’t sorted and Rooney remains in charge then players out of contract and loans will leave, we will be struggling to bring players in and IMO we would be odds on for relegation next season.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

We don't know if Alonso has told Rooney that regardless of the result today, he wants Rooney to stay on.

That gives Rooney confidence and doesn't mean that pressure is all out for him to get a result.

My thoughts are that if it was me and I was seeking to spend 50 million to buy Derby, I wouldn't hesitate to pay of Rooney regardless of say a few extra million and then buy the best team and manager that I could afford to lift the club out of the mess its in.

I would not risk it all on a manager who in my opinion isn't good enough to manage the club at any level.

Just because he's played for England and was an amazing striker doesn't mean he's equipped to get the best out of the team.

I know I'm guilty of rehashing thoughts I've already shared.

For me its not just about the players its about the tactics, players not being managed properly and played out of their best position.

Rooney totally lacks management experience. In my opinion he was given the job as a means to help find a buyer for the club.

If he was in any other job he would have been fired by now for his performances.

But as Roy Mac 5 says, he is doing his best and he's learning..........

IMO it’s Rooney (and Cocu’s) fault we’re here. Yes, the squad is severely lacking but Wayne is not getting the best out of a single one of our players, in fact he’s barely getting any performance out of any players. 

How did Sheff Utd and Leicester get out of league one and to the prem? A tight knit squad of what you could call (at the time) average players all playing their heart out for the club/manager. it’s all about cohesion as a team, Wayne doesn’t seem to be interested in that, certainly swapping 5/6 players each game is hardly going to help either. 

• 2 months later...

DET: “As it should be” - Manchester United fans react as Wayne Rooney explains snub

...Both Derby and United fans were back in attendance at Pride Park and the away support were in full voice with ‘Rooney, Rooney give us a wave’. The Rams boss refused and It was all very light-hearted.

Rooney explained the snub after the game, saying: "I have a lot of respect for the club; a club I love. At the Europa final, I'm there supporting them and there will be moments again where I am a Man United fan. But in today's game my loyalty and full focus was on Derby County."

United supporters responded on social media, with one supporter saying: “That is actually a very fair and respectful answer/comment from Rooney there. Great answer for both sets of fans...”

Derby County face starting season without a centre-back says Wayne Rooney - BBC Sport

"I just want a team to put out on the first day of the season," Rooney said.

"Something has to happen. If you look at my squad, if nothing changes I have not got one centre-back.

"In order for us to compete in this league, something has to change..."

Coach Shay Given also left when his contract recently expired. Rooney wants the former Republic of Ireland goalkeeper to be part of his backroom team.

"It's a challenge and it is not ideal," Rooney admitted.

"I am constantly trying to get answers but I am still not getting what I want and what the club wants. I am truthfully not 100% sure of the ins and outs.

"I will do my best for this football club but I need help and support. I believe that support will come. I could do with it now."

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Derby County face starting season without a centre-back says Wayne Rooney - BBC Sport

"Something has to happen. If you look at my squad, if nothing changes I have not got one centre-back.

Coach Shay Given also left when his contract recently expired. Rooney wants the former Republic of Ireland goalkeeper to be part of his backroom team.

"I am constantly trying to get answers but I am still not getting what I want and what the club wants. I am truthfully not 100% sure of the ins and outs.

"I will do my best for this football club but I need help and support. I believe that support will come. I could do with it now."

Are you able to still put a positive spin on any of that @RoyMac5? 

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Are you able to still put a positive spin on any of that @RoyMac5? 

In what way? Other than Rooney is showing his commitment and asking for help - maybe he'll have more sway with the EFL if the media actually report that the Chorley players are counted as professionals. That is if that is what's happening...

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

In what way? Other than Rooney is showing his commitment and asking for help - maybe he'll have more sway with the EFL if the media actually report that the Chorley players are counted as professionals. That is if that is what's happening...

If we are being penalised for doing our best to fulfil that cup game something is seriously wrong….

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

On the face of it, a horrendous situation for any manager to deal with.

What I'm struggling to understand is a) why he hasnt walked if there is no suggestion of an imminent breakthrough on the embargo & b) why the club haven't put out a statement explaining & showing up the EFL if they are ludicrously insisting on the Chorley team being counted as players of 'professional standing'. My hunch therefore is that things are happening, maybe just not as quick as Rooney is wanting & he's entirely fair in being vocal on that.

There's so many variables with the accounts...have they been filed, did we have a 'stress-test' version ready to go, are they compliant, are the EFL dragging their feet, are we dragging our feet, are we looking to appeal the amortisation restatement, are we negotiating with EFL on leniency measures...its too exhausting to contemplate. Whatever the situation, it needs sorting in the next 2 weeks or this is going to be very uncomfortable for all parties.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

16 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

On the face of it, a horrendous situation for any manager to deal with.

What I'm struggling to understand is a) why he hasnt walked if there is no suggestion of an imminent breakthrough on the embargo & b) why the club haven't put out a statement explaining & showing up the EFL if they are ludicrously insisting on the Chorley team being counted as players of 'professional standing'. My hunch therefore is that things are happening, maybe just not as quick as Rooney is wanting & he's entirely fair in being vocal on that.

There's so many variables with the accounts...have they been filed, did we have a 'stress-test' version ready to go, are they compliant, are the EFL dragging their feet, are we dragging our feet, are we looking to appeal the amortisation restatement, are we negotiating with EFL on leniency measures...its too exhausting to contemplate. Whatever the situation, it needs sorting in the next 2 weeks or this is going to be very uncomfortable for all parties.

Being a cynic (what, me) maybe Rooney is getting his first pre emptive strike in now before the season starts and it rapidly turns into another train wreck.

Maybe he hasn't walked as he thinks or he has been advised that he would have a very good case for constructive dismissal if he resigns citing lack of support from the club for buying players to allow him to do his job.

Or maybe it's because he's genuinely concerned about the situation like the rest of us.

Who knows. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Being a cynic (what, me) maybe Rooney is getting his first pre emptive strike in now before the season starts and it rapidly turns into another train wreck.

Maybe he hasn't walked as he thinks or he has been advised that he would have a very good case for constructive dismissal if he resigns citing lack of support from the club for buying players to allow him to do his job.

Or maybe it's because he's genuinely concerned about the situation like the rest of us.

Who knows. 

Too late the train's already wrecked!!!

He could easily walk and no-one will blame him - look at the ducking mess we're in! No CBs and can't even get Given back in.

He said he was a loyal person and he refers to the club as 'us'.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rooney explained the snub after the game, saying: "I have a lot of respect for the club; a club I love. At the Europa final, I'm there supporting them and there will be moments again where I am a Man United fan. But in today's game my loyalty and full focus was on Derby County."

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Who knows. 

I think if you look at Wayne’s career and the way he throws himself into clubs, he is genuinely concerned like the rest of us. From the comments on Roy Mac’s post, there is a person there who has a lot of respect for us as an institution and a club. 

I don’t think you can fault his commitment to the club, his problem has been the lack of an adequate squad. I still think we will have a mid table season (I may be slated for saying that), because he seems like a decent enough coach with some tactical nouse. I’m excited to see the way he gets our rabble playing. 

One thing I will say about this season is, let’s not go with a pre conceived negativity as fans. Let’s get behind the team, through the rough and the smooth and hopefully bring some energy and enthusiasm to a thread bare team. It’s not the players fault we are in this position, only their higher ups. 

Edited by LeedsRam1999

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Who knows. 

Id be astounded if there's ever been a successful constructive dismissal claim for a manager on grounds of lack of resources/support. The club could also argue here that the instigator of said situation is the EFL. In any case, you need to be employed for 2 years before being eligible to claim for constructive dismissal.

Like Roy says, dont think anyone could blame him for leaving under these circumstances...the hope I have is that there are big improvements due in the near future. It makes no sense him sticking around otherwise.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Id be astounded if there's ever been a successful constructive dismissal claim for a manager on grounds of lack of resources/support. The club could also argue here that the instigator of said situation is the EFL. In any case, you need to be employed for 2 years before being eligible to claim for constructive dismissal.

Like Roy says, dont think anyone could blame him for leaving under these circumstances...the hope I have is that there are big improvements due in the near future. It makes no sense him sticking around otherwise.

Yes agreed just throwing theories out there. Could be breach of contract then he's looking at. But yes 2 year limits apply to constructive dismissal.

The whole situations just a mess quite honestly.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You were saying you were wanting to be positive about things...so I was just asking if you felt there was any positive angle to what Wayne said...other than he won't resign he will have to be paid off... ?

I couldn't see anything else other than stuff to be worried about...no deal seems close, signings seem at a premium, money has evaporated and Wayne is concerned and getting no positive indications...?