Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

You were saying you were wanting to be positive about things...so I was just asking if you felt there was any positive angle to what Wayne said...other than he won't resign he will have to be paid off... ?

Yes, he's loyal and wanting to do well for the club and himself. He's managed to convince a load of (what some would say) unwanted old players to play for a 'train wreck' of a club and perhaps convinced Man U to loan us some of their young talent. The negative is all that is for nowt if he can't sign them!

Amazed that the EFL isnt being called out way more than they are on this - basically they havent been able to do us legally so are doing it by stopping us from functioning as a football team. Are there no respectable journalists out there that wouldnt want to do an expo on this - do they actually still exist or are they all just clickbait muppets??

The FA Cup decision is a joke, the penalties for following HMRC covid gudelines are a joke, surely someone should be ripping them to shreds - purely on their unprofessional behaviour and vindictiveness??

47 minutes ago, Yani P said:

The FA Cup decision is a joke, the penalties for following HMRC covid gudelines are a joke, surely someone should be ripping them to shreds - purely on their unprofessional behaviour and vindictiveness??

It’s absurd for us to be punished for fielding a team against Chorley.  But does anyone know what discretion the EFl has? Can they waive a rule?  or is a rule change needed and if so what does that take ? (I’m guessing it might take the support of a load of clubs that we have royally pi$$ed off)
ARE they being unprofessional and vindictive? Or are they just saying: them’s the rules and you know our constitution as well as we do so you know that our options are limited 

12 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s absurd for us to be punished for fielding a team against Chorley.  But does anyone know what discretion the EFl has? Can they waive a rule?  or is a rule change needed and if so what does that take ? (I’m guessing it might take the support of a load of clubs that we have royally pi$$ed off)
ARE they being unprofessional and vindictive? Or are they just saying: them’s the rules and you know our constitution as well as we do so you know that our options are limited 

Good question..

I suspect when the (quite reasonable rule actually) rule was set, that it was not with last seasons ?in mind though.

He’s being loyal? Roy I’d expect any manger we have to be loyal as you call it 

The problem I see here is this…we are quite obviously in a right mess and my question is Roy is Rooney the correct person to be taking this on?? 
he may sound great in interviews etc but at this moment in time take a step back and ask if we didnt have a manager would Rooney be the choice ??

ive thought long and hard about this recently and I don’t think it’s fair on Rooney so here’s my ten penneth worth 

of all the managers out there out of work I’d go for Alex Neill ( not my first choice by any stretch ) but know this division and can work on limited budgets ….we need experience  at the helm because this league will soon fall away from us if we get off to a bad start …Rooney is a top guy but for me the wrong choice at this moment ….

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

If we had refused to play the F.A cup tie v Chorley due to the COVID outbreak, which in retrospect would have been a reasonable decision, what sanction would have been applied ? Surely no worse than we are facing now ?

The fa cup is nothing to do with the EFL it is an FA competition, and as such they could have thrown us out of that competition and fined us, but they cannot give a points deduction, my view is that we appeal against the embargo on the grounds that we were fulfilling a requirement by the FA and it is nothing to do with the EFL what juniors we fielded.

Nick de Marco would love this case if we could raise it.

5 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

The fa cup is nothing to do with the EFL it is an FA competition, and as such they could have thrown us out of that competition and fined us, but they cannot give a points deduction, my view is that we appeal against the embargo on the grounds that we were fulfilling a requirement by the FA and it is nothing to do with the EFL what juniors we fielded.

Nick de Marco would love this case if we could raise it.

Only problem with that is that by the time that the case is resolved, the transfer window will be over anyway. The only way to sign players this summer is to submit the accounts and get the debt paid. 

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

He’s being loyal? Roy I’d expect any manger we have to be loyal as you call it 

The problem I see here is this…we are quite obviously in a right mess and my question is Roy is Rooney the correct person to be taking this on?? 
he may sound great in interviews etc but at this moment in time take a step back and ask if we didnt have a manager would Rooney be the choice ??

ive thought long and hard about this recently and I don’t think it’s fair on Rooney so here’s my ten penneth worth 

of all the managers out there out of work I’d go for Alex Neill ( not my first choice by any stretch ) but know this division and can work on limited budgets ….we need experience  at the helm because this league will soon fall away from us if we get off to a bad start …Rooney is a top guy but for me the wrong choice at this moment ….

Sorry, but very funny that you think any manager would walk into our current situation. Most of the good ones will be aware that there will be a 'change about' in a few months anyway. The other thing is what are you going to pay Rooney and all his staff off with washers!

3 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

Only problem with that is that by the time that the case is resolved, the transfer window will be over anyway. The only way to sign players this summer is to submit the accounts and get the debt paid. 

One would hope the EFL could make a decision quickly - in our favour! - and then be ready for appeals, by which time we'd have signed up our free agents/loans! 

3 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

YOu can sign free agents outside a transfer window. 

That said, I still think a legal case would take 6+ months to resolve. 

Rock. Meet hard place.

Much as I am not a fan of him, I did promise a clean slate if we stayed up and he is totally in a no win position right now.

Walk away because it's impossible and the flack for quitting, stay and try to do the impossible and fail and get the flack.

To be honest I think he knows he needs to show something to ever be considered any other manager role, if he walked now, no other club is going to look past 1 win in 15 and think "that's my guy"

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

To be honest I think he knows he needs to show something to ever be considered any other manager role, if he walked now, no other club is going to look past 1 win in 15 and think "that's my guy"

Personally I think plenty of clubs would look and see oh yeah he was at Derby, what a disaster they were! There will be offers but whether from clubs with as much potential as us, I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Much as I am not a fan of him, I did promise a clean slate if we stayed up and he is totally in a no win position right now.

Walk away because it's impossible and the flack for quitting, stay and try to do the impossible and fail and get the flack.

As unlikely as it may seem, there is a third outcome: stay and succeed to an acceptable level. You never know.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Personally I think plenty of clubs would look and see oh yeah he was at Derby, what a disaster they were! There will be offers but whether from clubs with as much potential as us, I doubt it.

I agree, the smart move would have been to walk away and use his media chums to highlight the hiding to nothing he has been on at Derby so far. His name alone would get him another job at this stage. The fact he's still here has always given me hope that there is something bubbling away in the background that is going to give him a prayer of achieving anything next season, but the longer it goes on the more I think I might be clutching at straws...why ruin his reputation by staying otherwise? Right? Right???????????????

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Those are likely to be based on the novelty of him being Wayne Rooney though. Unfair or not, I think he'll get thrown in with the situation rather than excused by it.

24 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The fact he's still here has always given me hope that there is something bubbling away in the background that is going to give him a prayer of achieving anything next season, but the longer it goes on the more I think I might be clutching at straws...why ruin his reputation by staying otherwise? Right? Right???????????????

The fact that he's stayed is also down to the fact 'he backs himself'. Lets hope Mel comes through. #COYR

I wonder what Roos' best outfield position is ? Perhaps our central defender solution is staring us in the face! ? ! ... Although regularly giving penalties away by trying to catch the ball might be an issue...

Perhaps a Bielik-esque midfield powerhouse in midfield ? Or a 2nd target man up front ?! ?

10 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I wonder what Roos' best outfield position is ? Perhaps our central defender solution is staring us in the face! ? ! ... Although regularly giving penalties away by trying to catch the ball might be an issue...

Perhaps a Bielik-esque midfield powerhouse in midfield ? Or a 2nd target man up front ?! ?

He has the height to play at CB ?