Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else struggling for sleep??

I put off going to bed til around 1:30am either cus I didn't want to have nightmarish thoughts ping-ponging round my head before I drifted off.  Woke up half an hour ago and now wide awake again.

I'm trying to stay upbeat for the Mrs and my lad, but my anxiety is going through the roof. 

@jimbo jones, @Alpha, @SaintRam and probably others...

Sorting your house put is a big task even if it initially seems like it won’t take too long to do. I’m in a similar position myself after buying my house last year.

I got the basics in every room first - furniture, curtains, decorations, etc... I then break down the remaining tasks down to room-by-room, little task by by little task. Every weekend I set myself a target to complete one of these tasks, and give myself a week to get all the materials I need for that task. I might strip the wallpaper one week, move a radiator the next, then fill in the cracks or replaster the walls, before eventually painting the walls. 1 month just to sort the walls out, but I’ve broken it down into easier manageable tasks. Last weekend I replace a light fitting, but this weekend (if the weather is good) I’ll paint a few fence panels.

For larger rooms or bigger tasks, you could make a bit of of an event of it. Ask friends/family to pop round to help you out. Then in the evening have a BBQ and share a few beers ?

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Anybody else struggling for sleep??

I put off going to bed til around 1:30am either cus I didn't want to have nightmarish thoughts ping-ponging round my head before I drifted off.  Woke up half an hour ago and now wide awake again.

I'm trying to stay upbeat for the Mrs and my lad, but my anxiety is going through the roof. 

Much the same here on the sleep front. And I know I'm being short-tempered with the family as a result. Not really sure what the solution is though. Doesn't feel like the situation is going to get better any time soon ?

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Much the same here on the sleep front. And I know I'm being short-tempered with the family as a result. Not really sure what the solution is though. Doesn't feel like the situation is going to get better any time soon ?

I snapped at my lad as he wasn't taking his asthma inhaler properly earlier.  I had to leave the room as I was ready to burst into tears.  Told him I was only trying to keep him healthy...

I keep telling myself it's only gonna get worse before it gets better, and I'm prepared to handle it in a calm and sensible manner.  Carry on turning up for work until I'm told not to, either my manager or 111, and not over shop.  It's the rest of the population I'm more worried about...

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Not necessarily directly related to CV but my wife, currently recovering from breast cancer, has had to go back on antidepressants. We’ll get through it, especially as she’s determined not to stay on them for too long. It’s not easy trying to stay up beat myself when my wife, daughter, son in law, and brother in law all suffer from depression (reckon I must have a curse or something). But, as I say, we’ll get through it.

anyone got any tips for anxiousness/depression? Currently, I am having to be in the house due to my university shutting its doors and wondered if anyone has any tips. I hope to share any tips I have that i find myself so i can pass them on to help others.

Stay strong everybody, as best you can. I've had peaks and crests before now but mostly I'm in a good space and for that I'm grateful but for those who were already dealing with stuff before the Covid outbreak, this must be a really hard time so I hope nobody is feeling too down and would urge anyone feeling low to reach out - post on here, talk to your doctor, phone a friend. Suffering in silence just exacerbates stuff, it's absolutely the worst option so don't to it to yourself.

A couple of folk on here have mentioned having trouble sleeping. I've been an insomniac all my life. The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed I post at some ungodly hours on here. The obvious stuff aside, I've found a few simple things that can help me as I sleepers just aren't a solution for me. The first thing is not to fight it. Get up, drink some herbal tea, go for a slow walk, take a shower, all of these things seem to prepare me better to sleep than watching TV or worse still, get frustrated and angry which used to be par the for the course with me. Exercise, meditation and just concentrating on your breathing can all be helpful too and IMO are better options than risking pharma dependencies. Read if you must, but also avoid using Kindles and tablet PCs. Don't snack - weirdly, snacking helps me but for most folk it does the opposite. The last thing I can think of tight now is that there are also some recordings that some find soothing that can help - soft rain, waterfalls, etc. Google is your friend on these. I know a lot of folk who swear by them so worth a try perhaps. 

7 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Stay strong everybody, as best you can. I've had peaks and crests before now but mostly I'm in a good space and for that I'm grateful but for those who were already dealing with stuff before the Covid outbreak, this must be a really hard time so I hope nobody is feeling too down and would urge anyone feeling low to reach out - post on here, talk to your doctor, phone a friend. Suffering in silence just exacerbates stuff, it's absolutely the worst option so don't to it to yourself.

A couple of folk on here have mentioned having trouble sleeping. I've been an insomniac all my life. The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed I post at some ungodly hours on here. The obvious stuff aside, I've found a few simple things that can help me as I sleepers just aren't a solution for me. The first thing is not to fight it. Get up, drink some herbal tea, go for a slow walk, take a shower, all of these things seem to prepare me better to sleep than watching TV or worse still, get frustrated and angry which used to be par the for the course with me. Exercise, meditation and just concentrating on your breathing can all be helpful too and IMO are better options than risking pharma dependencies. Read if you must, but also avoid using Kindles and tablet PCs. Don't snack - weirdly, snacking helps me but for most folk it does the opposite. The last thing I can think of tight now is that there are also some recordings that some find soothing that can help - soft rain, waterfalls, etc. Google is your friend on these. I know a lot of folk who swear by them so worth a try perhaps. 

Had you down as a night worker tbf. Insomnia must be horrible. 

I often read this thread but have never contributed. I would feel a fraud really. 
It does however make me appreciate what I have and what little issues I have and how lucky I am. Hope people take that in the right way.  Stay strong everyone, it’s great that you can find support with each other. 

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

anyone got any tips for anxiousness/depression? Currently, I am having to be in the house due to my university shutting its doors and wondered if anyone has any tips. I hope to share any tips I have that i find myself so i can pass them on to help others.

Try to maintain social contact with friends if you're having to self isolate even if it's through phone calls, texts, FaceTime, messaging on social media.

Keep yourself busy and keep your mind focused on things that you are able to do indoors to avoid the temptation of dwelling and ruminating on things in your mind that you may not have any control over. 

Eat properly and do exercises inside like burpees, push and sit ups, running on the spot, if you've got something like a Peleton or cross trainer at home even better.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Had you down as a night worker tbf. Insomnia must be horrible.

I'm ok with it to be fair, as I've always struggled to sleep. It's way worse for folk who have never struggled with their sleep or just get occasional bouts of it. Also I have real flexibility in terms of how I work, what hours and when. If I had to work shift for instance, I'd be bang in trouble. I think for folk who are not used to it, it's pretty grim whatever their circumstances.

Sith Happens

It is going to be so tough for people, especially of those that are lonely anyway, for a lot of people going to the cafe, shop, pub is an escape from that loneliness.

Thank god for for social media, and the ways we have of keeping in touch, video calls etc.......

Keep strong, safe and healthy people...

11 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Perhaps you could volunteer to do some gardening work...you”d be outdoors & in relative isolation from others. They’ll be loads of people who’d like someone to help tend their garden at this time of year. Tending mother earth enriches you spiritually & will give you good exercise.

Edited by sheeponacid

I have to say, as someone who's always been a hypochondriac, it's been quite a tough time for me, as I'm sure it is for many. I've taken to avoiding hearing anything about the news at the moment but it seems to seep into everything. I've no justifiable reason to be overly worried as a healthy 21 year old but I've struggled with worrying about my health as long as I can remember, so this is a bit of a worst nightmare type of scenario for me. Usually when I'm struggling with anxiety, I dive into my hobbies, but that isn't a viable alternative at the moment. 

Edited by Andicis

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure about anyone else, but I’m having a proper mental wobble right now. Took me ten hours to force myself to type this. Isolation is a struggle. 

Try typing smaller words ?

Have a smile buddy, wish I could offer you more.  

On 22/03/2020 at 01:10, Leeds Ram said:

Stuff about dealing with anxiety here:

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/coronanxiety-support-resources/

and here:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/about-anxiety/

54 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure about anyone else, but I’m having a proper mental wobble right now. Took me ten hours to force myself to type this. Isolation is a struggle. 

You used to do some cracking quiz questions on here in the past, based on TV shows I'd never seen.

Get them started up again, and watch us thickos pile in and test your patience.