Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

3 hours ago, David said:

It is what it is, not worrying about it as that won’t change a thing. See what they say and deal with it as it comes.

Well fwiw I've been fostering for the last year, and there's no end of children out there. I could pick a couple up for you no problem. In fact you can have a couple of mine if you like?

8 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Well fwiw I've been fostering for the last year, and there's no end of children out there. I could pick a couple up for you no problem. In fact you can have a couple of mine if you like?

Nah but thanks, was going to see if any were on eBay if worst comes to the worst

14 hours ago, David said:

As this is the honest and open thread, we’ve been trying....2 years now. Tests in March to see why nothing has happened, hoping it’s down to my health and nothing serious. 

Congrats on the diamond mate.

We had 2 years of trying before our first. We had the tests and found out her ovulations were irregular and weak, and my swimmers were too pissed up. Our only option was ICI - they wouldn't offer us IVF because it was a lost cause.

I was having acupuncture at the time and mentioned it to him. He recommended we both go to see him before we try anything else, promising to have us both functioning correctly within a month. After a few pins we went back for another round of tests to find everything was normal. Two kids later and we stay well away from each other now.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Congrats on the diamond mate.

We had 2 years of trying before our first. We had the tests and found out her ovulations were irregular and weak, and my swimmers were too pissed up. Our only option was ICI - they wouldn't offer us IVF because it was a lost cause.

I was having acupuncture at the time and mentioned it to him. He recommended we both go to see him before we try anything else, promising to have us both functioning correctly within a month. After a few pins we went back for another round of tests to find everything was normal. Two kids later and we stay well away from each other now.

Good luck!

So you're telling us a little rick solved everything?

Edited by David
Language

Have to say, I'm struggling with my anxiety a bit at the moment. Have loads of stuff I need to get done tomorrow, I went to bed at 11pm, and now 3 hours later at 2.17 as of typing this, I still haven't managed to get any sleep. 

For the past week or so I've been getting dry mouth, headaches, and just in general feeling extremely anxious in all situations. Feels like it has been getting worse over the past year in general, but this week in particular it's become a real intolerance and a huge hindrance to my life.

To anyone who may have been to a doctor for anxiety related issues, did it help you? Would you recommend it? The concept of taking pills for anxiety admittedly makes me anxious, ironically.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Have to say, I'm struggling with my anxiety a bit at the moment. Have loads of stuff I need to get done tomorrow, I went to bed at 11pm, and now 3 hours later at 2.17 as of typing this, I still haven't managed to get any sleep. 

For the past week or so I've been getting dry mouth, headaches, and just in general feeling extremely anxious in all situations. Feels like it has been getting worse over the past year in general, but this week in particular it's become a real intolerance and a huge hindrance to my life.

To anyone who may have been to a doctor for anxiety related issues, did it help you? Would you recommend it? The concept of taking pills for anxiety admittedly makes me anxious, ironically.

are you doing much exercise?

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Yes, I take them now, talked to him about my concerns which was I don’t want to be turned into a drowsy zombie. First couple of weeks were a bit rough on them, couldn’t sleep was grabbing 30 mins here and there, but after that it’s pretty much locked down now and I’m just me, but without the stress/anxiety. 

Just be aware that anxiety meds can take around 4 weeks before they start to work, they are not over night magic pills and you have to stick with them through the early side effects.

It’s a gradual thing, not a bang I’m fixed.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Definitely. You've got to break the cycle of anxiety.

I suffered badly with it a few years ago & took too long to go and seek help. By then I was hardly sleeping and barely able to function at home & work.

By then, the doc could see that I was in trouble and gave me a few days worth of diazepam (low dose), to just bring me down quickly and then I was put on a course of anti-anxiety medication. It wasn't an overnight cure but it took the edge of it and removed the fear of having panic attacks - which I still had but they were less frequent and not as severe. I don't recall any side-effects at all.

Like you, I didnt want to be on mind-altering medication for ever and after about 9 months, I felt well enough to request to be weaned off them slowly. Another 4-5 months later, I was off the meds and felt able to cope.

Best of luck, mate.

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

Thank you @David and @Van Wolfie, very helpful. I think I'm going to ring up and make an appointment to see a doctor about it. It has to be worth a try.

Also, never come off the medication cold turkey, i did that and had awful bouts of dizziness for well over a year, and it can send your mood rapidly downhill if you don't wean yourself off them. 

I have deliberately ignored this thread.

I didn't want to read it because I knew it would awake the demons going through my head.

I asked a fellow poster for advice and he suggested that it might help if I discussed it on here with fellow Rams.

There's some top people on this forum, I mean really intelligent, kind, sensible folk who love Derby County but also offer great advice and support to complete strangers. David asked me to be a Mod on here and I was humbled because I'd never done owt like this before but I hope I am a fair bloke who understands when people need to vent and know the difference between Derby fans and trolls who come on here to slag our beautiful football club off.

I have been through some serious stress over the last year or two and its made me think. I always thought I'm the one to cope with everything, I have three younger brothers who I think I should look after, I am a shift manager who has responsibility for over 120 people at work every day, but I reached a personal limit when me Dad passed away last year. I was sorting everything out for everyone when I suddenly hit a wall. It was like wow...I can't cope, wtf, I really went down hill and I felt I couldn't talk to any one. I'm known as the the rock, the one to go to by family and friends, and all of a sudden I felt useless.

I fought my way through it and I'm OK now but I have absolute top respect for anyone who has the courage to share their issues with us all. I am ashamed that I never thought it took real bravery to share your deepest concerns.

Thanks @Alpha

I figure it's been a long time, basically since this thread's early days, that I've posted anything about myself - largely because nothing's changed, though.

I've found, recently, my willpower to try and change things has been gradually increasing. It's helped that I've had a stable period of not getting worse for a couple of years now. Not really getting better, still in a bad way, but at no point looking like sliding back to my suicidal years. Also, the professional side of my life has continued to climb despite my adverse mental health, and that has certainly helped reduce one area of anxiety.

I started a long term dieting and exercise plan last week; I'm optimistic, but obviously I could always retreat to my darkened solitude before I complete it. If I do complete it (or get to the summer and decide to continue it), I'll be sure to update you folks. If studies are to be believed, I should be in the best place I've been for a long time, possibly ever. 

Maybe I'll even go to a Derby game next season. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd keep that quiet. They'd lynch you in the matchday thread.

Yeah, what the duck would all us shift workers do without regular updates whilst we're at work every other Saturday? 

@SaintRam is sooooooo selfish for even suggesting it. I hope his exercise plan fails miserably.

Only joking, mate. You know I appreciate your matchday thread updates. Hope you stick with the plan and get to a game....