Dwight Gayle

S8TY

22 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Gayle has that turn of pace that Collins lacks and it makes a massive difference in being able to position yourself to capitalise on through balls. 

I've got a hell of a lot of time for Collins and his goals and workrate are a major reason that we are where we are, but I'd love to know the difference in the offside count since Gayle had been in.

Fair comment. Collo can frustrate, but I think if we do go up this year, he'll have been a huge factor in that success and his will to win also sets the benchmark for those around him. I knew gayle would score for fun in this league, but I hadn't counted on him being of the same mindset too. it's a huge added bonus and I'd look to be getting him signed up for next year as soon as we can.

4 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

I thought he was a desperate rubbish signing, I have been proved so so wrong as he has been amazing.

4 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

#metoo………….👍😁

On paper, I can understand how his signing might have looked to some, but sometimes we need to look beyond mere stats to form a fully rounded appraisal. It's great to see you guys and others making a point of commending him for his efforts, in any case. I'm certain it'll be both noted and appreciated.

9 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

#metoo………….👍😁

I reckon that out of an average attendance of 28,000, give or take two people either way there would be 27,998 others the same as you!

19 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I reckon that out of an average attendance of 28,000, give or take two people either way there would be 27,998 others the same as you!

I think a far higher number were always keen. I re-read Dwight's transfer thread last night expecting there to be loads of naysayers, as that was my perhaps uncharitable recollection of it, but in fairness, not many at all dismissed him out of hand. Most seemed switched onto the huge class drop and also that he's a man who has clearly looked after himself. 

Have noticed we have played a few balls more directly to Gayle than we did with Collo 

Gayle has given us this option  like for the through ball where he was brought down , if you look you see Gayle point before arcing his run in between two centre backs and was eventually brought down

Also the through ball or long ball from Ebou where he wins a penalty is no fluke because he's literally telling who ever has the ball , I'm going to make that run and it gives defenders a question to answer , do they go with him or let him go hoping he may have mistimed his run

I really like Collo but I think without Gayle we don't  score those 2 goals on Tuesday because he has given us something very different

Also has a really good spring for balls in the air, if me I'd be looking to sign him up for next season already whatever division we are in 

Pinched from The Oatcake………..(that’s Stoke for you young uns)

So what happened at Stoke where we were saying he'd lost it? It's not as if Derby have been tearing up the goal scoring records  and the Derby fans I know bemoan the dour football played by Warne. Yet Gayle seems to have found his confidence there and is a folk hero already. Surprising what confidence can do for a player. 

…….seems fair comment to me! 👍😁

On 10/03/2024 at 14:56, Rich3478 said:

Am happy to say Gayle been far better than I expected him to be! Has a lot of good touches. Was always going to be a good finisher. Looks pretty fit and still reasonably quick as well.

Also comes over as very grounded and intelligent in the interviews. It has to be said, shrewd bit of business signing DG. 

He comes across well in his interviews. Feels like he could be a good coach/mentor to our young attackers. Show them the nuances of being in the right place at the right time and using your brain to become a lethal finisher.

Gayle has had the best career of anyone in our squad and you can see why, the players at this level are a few seconds behind him.

Look at the amount of time he had on the ball for that goal on Tuesday night. Obviously it's a great touch but, compared to the standard he's consistently played at for the majority of his career, he had so much time to take a beat and slot the ball away. 

Collins, for all his qualities, simply doesn't have that in him. He'd likely have either miscontrolled or snatched at that ball, I grew to love him but over the course of a season I reckon he needs twice as many chances as Gayle does.

That's the difference for us now, all season long we've lacked a striker with the composure and technique that Gayle has.

3 hours ago, David said:

Has he signed a contract extension yet? If not, why not?

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I liked Gayle as a signing and have always liked him as a player. At this level I knew he'd be a cut above tbh. We should give him a 1 year extension as he could probably still muster between 10-12 goals in the championship if he played regularly. 

I imagine that he would probably prefer to wait until the end of the season to see what league we are in, unless he's fallen in love with us already of course