Dwight Gayle

S8TY

5 minutes ago, Mckram said:

He’s extremely good at this level. Still got pace and is causing defenders problems running in behind.

Can’t believe how many were writing him off on the transfer thread when he signed! 

I think even if he has lost some pace, he has that speed of thought that is much quicker than the defenders at this level that just gives him the edge. 

54 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think even if he has lost some pace, he has that speed of thought that is much quicker than the defenders at this level that just gives him the edge. 

It was exactly the same with McGoldrick last year.  They still have footballing ability and brain above the level, even if the pace is more akin to where they are playing.

Staggering he was left on the shelf to the extent everyone decided not to give him a go seemingly because no one else was. 

Class act at this level, looked a yard faster than their defenders tonight, I’d say down to a mixture of speed of thought and pace👌 Just hope we can keep him fit cos he could be the difference between automatics or play offs

I've not been surprised at how well he's settled in, regardless of your age, you don't lose class.  But one thing that has stood out is his link up play.  He looks a lot more comfortable taking the ball with his back to goal than I thought he would, he doesn't look that small either & wins his fair share of headers.

Unlike a lot of fans I have a tonne of time for Collins, but Gayle's movement has taken our game to the next level.  NML & Barks clearly love playing with him.

Edited by ramsbottom

Funny how situations can develop for the greater good. Losing Collins away at Exeter felt like a real body blow to our promotion chances at the time but picking up Dwight Gayle could well be the catalyst this side needs to secure promotion.

There's so much I like about Gayle - he is still very quick & mobile, he's always competing for balls with centre halves & as others have mentioned, seems happy to play with his back to goal and bring others into play. I didn't really expect the latter but it's enabling him to be a complete number 9. His finishing is still top drawer - 3 very different goals so far & shows his variety - one fantastic leap & header, a scruffy scramble inside the 6 yard box & last night's sublime touch & finish from a whipped in ball 25 yards away.

His mentality looks to be spot on too. He looks furious when he scores, like a man with a lot to prove & celebrates wildly when others score & when we won the penalty last night. Have also seen him berating team mates (Mendez-Laing against Port Vale I recall) which highlights his winning mentality.

Just goes to show the fallacy of quality players only being those who cost massive fees or wages. As Rooney's ragbag bunch of free transfers in 21-22 proved, there are a lot of quality pros out there who can be extremely effective as part of a unit. The way Gayle has already combined with Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing is fantastic & bodes really well for a strong end to the season. Brilliant bit of business by the club & love that he's enjoying being here.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Gayle has that turn of pace that Collins lacks and it makes a massive difference in being able to position yourself to capitalise on through balls. 

I've got a hell of a lot of time for Collins and his goals and workrate are a major reason that we are where we are, but I'd love to know the difference in the offside count since Gayle had been in.