Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

That's a weird thing for Bird to agree to. I'd have thought he'd have a few suitors when out of contract at the end of the season, at which point has been repeatedly said, we'd get very decent compensation for him.

To do this deal now, we must be very keen on money now to bring a striker in. We've discovered that the restrictions of the business plan we're having to work to mean we cannot buy any players unless we sell, hence CBT had to be a loan until the end of the season. I suspect Bristol City will have got him on the cheap by us getting the money up front now.

If we use the money on Smith, we're fools. It's just so short-termist and so short-sighted. If we use it to bring in a promising striker with the likelihood of flourishing for us in the Championship after helping us towards promotion, then it's clever business.

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

The ‘Derby way’ what is that? Fall away in February every season for the past 10 years. If that the end of that then it’s a small price to pay. 

Last player who came through the academy during a 4-5 year period where they were taught to play a certain “way”

Sibley and Cash obviously included but Sibley hasn’t had the same impact and Cash came into the first team at a later stage. 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Last player who came through the academy during a 4-5 year period where they were taught to play a certain “way”

Sibley and Cash obviously included but Sibley hasn’t had the same impact and Cash came into the first team at a later stage. 

Ah you mean the passing side ways and back to the defence. Can’t say I’d be sad to see that ‘way’ end either 😂

Just now, CornwallRam said:

How many loanees do have available to play? I believe we can only have 5 in matchday squad.

Current loanees;

Max Bird

Ebou Adams

Tyreece John-Jules

Corey Blackett-Taylor

Did I miss anyone?

If that’s all of them we’re still only likely to have 3 in the matchday squad with TJJ injured so say another striker in on loan would be 4 we still wouldn’t break the 5 in a squad rule. 

If he was going at the end of the season no matter what, then getting the money in now makes much more sense.

If adding to the squad depends on that money, then it may be the difference between being in the Championship or being in League 1, which is massive.

Like Knight, I also would expect him to be a stand-out player at this level. He hasn’t been. Our midfield has largely been a problem for us this season so although I am content with him staying, I also don’t think he would be integral to next season - whether that’s trying to get out of League 1 or trying to avoid returning to it.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

That's a weird thing for Bird to agree to. I'd have thought he'd have a few suitors when out of contract at the end of the season, at which point has been repeatedly said, we'd get very decent compensation for him.

To do this deal now, we must be very keen on money now to bring a striker in. We've discovered that the restrictions of the business plan we're having to work to mean we cannot buy any players unless we sell, hence CBT had to be a loan until the end of the season. I suspect Bristol City will have got him on the cheap by us getting the money up front now.

If we use the money on Smith, we're fools. It's just so short-termist and so short-sighted. If we use it to bring in a promising striker with the likelihood of flourishing for us in the Championship after helping us towards promotion, then it's clever business.

We need to get a striker in to get us out of this division. Smith could be a short-term option, proven at this level, to help us achieve that. I actually like what I have seen of him. A young, promising player might not.