Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Depends on the fee and whether Pearce and co can earn their corn with just under 6 hours to go. 

Wouldn’t let go for less than £2m at such short notice. 

Sign a replacement on loan and go after Langstaff? 

I’d never imagine we’d get anywhere near £2m for him with 6 months left on his contract. We’d be lucky to get £1m for him and I’d snap there hand off at that. 

Ah the emotional rollercoaster of deadline day. This is a weird one for me as I rate Bird, wouldn’t want to see him leave, but if getting a fee meant strengthening for the rest of the season then I can see logic in selling him. That fee though would need to be decent in comparison to whatever likely compensation we’d get in the summer (no idea what that would be though). It then raises questions of have we got enough time to sign a replacement? Do I trust Warne and the recruitment committee to find a suitable replacement? Would I prefer he stay until the summer?! 
Man, I’m confused. Stupid deadline day. 

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I’d never imagine we’d get anywhere near £2m for him with 6 months left on his contract. We’d be lucky to get £1m for him and I’d snap there hand off at that. 

Clearly don’t rate him then 😂

I‘m not his biggest fan but not sure £1m would be worth the hassle of us trying to bring in 2 players in such a short space.

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Clearly don’t rate him then 😂

I‘m not his biggest fan but not sure £1m would be worth the hassle of us trying to bring in 2 players in such a short space.

He’s just never kicked in and don’t see what he brings to the team that would make him unsellable. If it enables us to get a couple through the door then great. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-trying-beat-transfer-9072559

“Bristol City are working on a deal to sign Derby County midfielder Max Bird before Thursday’s 11pm transfer deadline, although the chances of completing the move are diminishing due to time and the Rams insistence of keeping hold of one of their prized assets.

As first reported by The Telegraph, the Robins have been in talks with the Rams over a move for the 23-year-old midfielder who is entering the final six months of his contract at Pride Park. 

Speaking earlier on Thursday, head coach Liam Manning was optimistic of at least one signing at the club, with the indication all along being that City were concentrating on bringing in an attacking player.

However, Bristol Live has learned that City have been in discussions over a move for Bird for some time, although Derby’s position has remained resolute throughout.”

I'd rather keep him, but maybe that's the romantic side of me! I think Adams/3 in midfield could really improve Bird's performance.  He a decent footballer and gets a lot of unwarranted criticism.

If we get a fee, at least we can plan for next season. Plus, Sibley could shift up, or Weston could get a shout. 

Maybe Bristol City have a fetish over Derby County midfield academy products that struggle with adding any kind of their tangible production to their game? 

I thought they would’ve learned their lesson with Jason Knight after playing him in the number 10 for the majority of the season with a grand total of 2 goals. Maybe not.

11 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Depends on the fee and whether Pearce and co can earn their corn with just under 6 hours to go. 

Wouldn’t let go for less than £2m at such short notice. 

Sign a replacement on loan and go after Langstaff? 

6 months on his contract, even at this juncture, I don't think we are getting that. Its weighing up the offer against the compensation in the summer. I'd guess £750k tops