Max Bird - flew the coop to Bristol City, loaned to us to end of season

Arsene Titman

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Further confirmation, just waiting on the clubs to announce it;

Contract was offered, He didn't want to sign it...then get him gone toot suit, Now he's back he'll have more to prove as if he doesn't the BOOOOOOOOOOS will be long and hard

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Ah you mean the passing side ways and back to the defence. Can’t say I’d be sad to see that ‘way’ end either 😂

Honestly cannot be arsed to get into this debate with anyone today but if that’s what you think the Derby Way was or that what Max Bird’s game is then you probably watch a different version of football to me

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

That's a weird thing for Bird to agree to. I'd have thought he'd have a few suitors when out of contract at the end of the season, at which point has been repeatedly said, we'd get very decent compensation for him.

To do this deal now, we must be very keen on money now to bring a striker in. We've discovered that the restrictions of the business plan we're having to work to mean we cannot buy any players unless we sell, hence CBT had to be a loan until the end of the season. I suspect Bristol City will have got him on the cheap by us getting the money up front now.

If we use the money on Smith, we're fools. It's just so short-termist and so short-sighted. If we use it to bring in a promising striker with the likelihood of flourishing for us in the Championship after helping us towards promotion, then it's clever business.

Intrigued what the fee is for this, be surprised if even close to £1m! You don’t sign players for that sort of money and loan them back.

Lets see what striker this enables us to bring in.

2 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Just wondering if we were sorting the incoming's out before the Bird announcement,  so other clubs don't push up there prices/ demands for there players

Like £1.5 mil loan fee for Smith and 150% of his wages?

I'll be sad to see Bird go. It does seem like the end of an era, the youth team that had such quality and promised so much but through no fault of theirs failed to deliver what I hoped from them.

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

Intrigued what the fee is for this, be surprised if even close to £1m! You don’t sign players for that sort of money and loan them back.

Lets see what striker this enables us to bring in.

The Club will have a rough idea of what they would get in a tribunal, so my guess is slightly less than whatever that would be.

This way probably suits us better IF we can use that money to recruit. We still have the same player but extra funds, it seems like it’s essentially the Cashin plan from the summer but just less money involved.

10 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Not too sure that I see it as being shrewd. I'd rather we make a clean break if the lad doesn't want to commit to us and sign a new deal. Feels a bit like splitting with your missus and still living in the same house. Awkward.  

No replacement needed until summer and I would assume more money than letting his contract run down. Even if its slightly less, he has certainty over his future and we've got the cash 

Edited by Sheepinthedales
Added to

3 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

...I'll be sad to see Bird go. It does seem like the end of an era, the youth team that had such quality and promised so much but through no fault of theirs failed to deliver at Derby what I hoped from them.

FIFY. 😞

Looks like we've played hardball. They bid, we're not selling because we want him for the rest of the season. However offer something silly and we'll talk.

They come back and meet in the middle, decent fee and we don't have to scramble for a replacement.  I figure the tribunal would have  favoured them in terms of fee, but this way they have no competition and can probably escape a lot of add ons. They must be buying with one eye on selling at a profit.

As for us we aren't weakened as such, have guaranteed money in the pot and a chance to strengthen up front for the next 5 hours.

-

Pretty underwhelmed at this deal on first glance but then I suppose that none of us know what was possible with the finances on this one and he's clearly not been interested in the deal that he was offered. Better offers come along and away they go. Hey ho. Wonder if we'll ever make an early decision on a player's future and get a decent fee at some stage.

Still, it's been great becoming Bristol City's feeder club. Yet another reason why we have to get out of this damned division.

#boredofthisleaguenow  #moneytalks  #nosuchthingasoneofourown

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The Club will have a rough idea of what they would get in a tribunal, so my guess is slightly less than whatever that would be.

This way probably suits us better IF we can use that money to recruit. We still have the same player but extra funds, it seems like it’s essentially the Cashin plan from the summer but just less money involved.

Just read £2.5m, that seems far too good to be true.

Really odd one for Bird. Knight must have sold Bristol City to him. Otherwise I can’t see why he wouldn’t wait until the summer and see which option is the best.

He clearly doesn’t feel any strong feeling for Derby anymore, otherwise you’d think he would have waited to see what league we’re in then signed a new deal if we got promoted.

2 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

No replacement needed until summer and I would assume more money than letting his contract run down

Fair points, it's just the fact he wasn't gonna commit to a new contract. Makes me question how committed he is going to be from now until the end of the season. Really hope he proves me wrong and goes out on a high as he's a player I really like and rate. 

A player that in an ideal world we would be building a Championship team around. 

It's the right decision to sell Bird. It's been fairly clear for awhile he was never going to sign a new deal. I'm concerned at the timing of the sale.

I would have given him two weeks into January to sign a deal and then gave green light to sell him if he wasn't going to do it. Thankfully we will get him back on loan. Are we really going to invest that transfer fee into loan fees? It stinks of desperation, lack of planning and deja vu of last season. We desperately need a centre forward and another attacking player.

If its £2.5 million plus a loan back that's a very good deal for I think. He would have gone at the end of the season and we would have got £800k in compensation. So cash flow up front, hopefully to fund other stuff, decent player with us to the end of the season. 

Just hope the other stuff is a young up and coming striker who can develop further with us.

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

11 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Wonder how much a Knibbs or Brannigan would cost

Brannagan would cost...

...most of our other players a chance to have a shot at goal themselves.

Knibbs though, bloody go and get him. Even if he doesn't want to come here. Kidnap him if needs must. Demand a ransom equivalent to the fee they want for him so it balances out and ends up a free transfer.

Edited by May Contain Nuts